The more things change the more they stay the same.......

PeteVid

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very first hi-fi in 1977 , 14 years of age was a Rotel RA212 amp and a pair of Wharfedale Denton 2XP speakers ( ubiquitous Pioneer PL12D with M75ED cart.)

Here we are, over 35 years later, via countless amps and pairs of speakers I've arrived at a Rotel RA12 amp and Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers (Pro-ject Turntable though but at least it begins with a P).

Funnily enough still playing pretty much the same music.

Pete

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
I use and enjoy equipment today far closer to the sort of stuff I used as a teenager, or my Grandfather used.

Everything in between feels like a bit of a diversion down the wrong roads.

Quite an educational 30 years though.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use and enjoy equipment today far closer to the sort of stuff I used as a teenager, or my Grandfather used.Everything in between feels like a bit of a diversion down the wrong roads.

Quite an educational 30 years though.
What are you doing with a computer then?

Must be fun finding leaded petrol for the car, do you find that black and white TV gets a bit boring?

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
What are you doing with a computer then?Must be fun finding leaded petrol for the car, do you find that black and white TV gets a bit boring?
Minor point, but the OP (and I) are talking about hi-fi ;)

B

bearair

Cant say it bothers me so much about the system. I really just see it as a tool to play the music.

But it does bother me that I buy less and less "new music". And my mates are probably the same. I must make the effort to listen to new bands. Besides all the rubbish out there I know there is new talent that I am missing out on.

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
check out the what people are listening to section, look it up on spotify and see if you like it, then look at related artists to those you like. I have found loads of new stuff I like that way

B

bearair

check out the what people are listening to section, look it up on spotify and see if you like it, then look at related artists to those you like. I have found loads of new stuff I like that way
Thanks for that, just joined spotify so will give it a go.

Kev

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 9, 2006
sunny Stoke on Trent
I'm the same listening to music that I used to listen to 40!!!!!!years ago. Shit what's happened to the time. :cs: It's difficult to find new bands, but that's probably because I need to listen to something 3 or 4 times before I decide whether I like it or not. I recall liking Boston and Dire S****ts at first listening but soon dropped them.

Anyhow my daughter has graduated from Spice girly stuff and recently informed me about a new band called The Dave Mathews Band, they've only be around for 20 years ( so still new IMO) and are awesome :rockin: . So get down wiv da kidzz

Tw99

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2012
The Home Counties
No plans to do anything with the main system, it's as good as needs to be for the room it's in, and I'm not really a tinkerer.

Might look at Qobuz to replace Spotify to get CD quality streaming, but will wait a bit for them to anglicise it a little more first...

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just put together a second system, which was my first proper hifi system excluding things like Sinclair Kits. The amp and tuner are a "Dulci" and the seakers KEF Chorale. The only thing I did not recreate was the SP25 turntable and Sonotone ceramic cartridge for fear of damaging the Vinyl. Compared to the current system (Marantz & Rega) its not bad, but Treble is a bit Harsh and Bass has a bit of a boom to it, wheras the current system is far smoother.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/dulci_207.html

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
A fair portion of my system consists of equipment made before I was born (Garrard 301 1955, SME 3012 series 1 circa 1959, Tannoy 15" Reds circa 1960) At a guess I would say 95% of the music I love and collect is from the late 1950's through to the early 70's (Blues / Jazz / Classical / Folk / Soul ). I never set out to be trapped in the past but I do find this is where my interests are drawn. I found a couple of pictures of my Father doing his radio show in Rhodesia a while ago and I'd be quite happy to have the TT's as my front end now:

poco a poco

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2013
Essex
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of my Hi-Fi system has remained unchanged for 30 years when I carried out my last major upgrade and brought it from new. ;-)

Turntable, pre-amp, active speakers and even the old Koetsu cartridge (although that has been rebuilt) have been running well since then with only some minor maintenance. The youngster is the CD player, but that is nearly 10 years old now, but I didn't,t have any CD player until about 2,000. :whistle:

Not that I haven,t been tempted by kit during that time, but when I really listened I found that I was choosing systems/components that sounded pretty close to what I already had! :doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.