The New Japanese Amplifiers.

T

Timsky

Hi Forum,

I'm looking to replace my current amp and I'm getting a bit tired of the minimalist approach to amplification and would like an integrated amp with full features rather then my current pre + power combo. I'm not that much into swapping components around and would rather have a single box that had all the stuff I wanted it to do. High sound quality, phono input + digital inputs would be a bonus though a good phono section comes first. I've been noticing the Japanese amp market has been kicking off again recently (when I say recently, I must add that I've had my current amp since the mid nineties so i'm a bit out of touch) and have been looking at current offerings from Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha. All this is bizarre to me as remember in the late 80s & early 90s most stuff from Japan was pretty much Satan :roll: . Any recommendations, Japansese or otherwise would be much appreciated. I have a few bob but not silly money.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes indeed welcome. You probably weren't aware, but this section is for technical enquiries/debates rather than general 2 channel debates/questions. Perhaps a mod can move this to 2 channel where you'll probably get a better response.

S

ThELiZ

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2010
Stroud
AKA
Adam
I'm using the Yamaha A-S2000 and it is just perfect for me. I've had the following amps before my Yamaha... Naim Nait 5i, Naim Nait XS, Naim SuperNait, ATC SIA150-2 (original revision), Rega Brio-R. I know this might come back to bite me in the arse, but the Yamaha is my keeper! Finally. Well, unless I can ever afford the Yamaha A-S3000. Thank God for the hifi snobs out there who won't buy the 2nd hand Yamaha stuff. It means one day I might be able to afford the A-S3000!

The build quality of the A-S2000 is phenomenal. Peering into the amp makes you feel more comfortable on your purchase... The same cannot be said about the other amps I have bough, except the ATC.

T

Timsky

That's what I've been considering re: snobbishness and perhaps a lack of reviews of some of the higher-end Japanese stuff? I'd love to buy a British amp but less is more doesn't really impress these days and are very complicated in their own way; an amp plus a separate DAC with seems fussy to me.

T

Timsky

Why does no one rate the Onkyo A-9000R? Theres no UK or US reviews yet. It has everything I want on spec. but no opinion regarding the sound quality.

T

Timsky

Looks amazing but I'd really like to get something new with digital inputs. I listen to vinyl, streamed Apple equipment and also a Revox B226 that will outlive all of us.

T

Timsky

I'm after a new amplifier not second hand I'm afraid but thanks,that amp you have looks awesome.

Neilb

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2007
Selhurst, Croydon,
AKA
Neil
Don't write off buying second hand Timsky. Its not like buying a second hand car where all kinds of stuff can go wrong. For 1500 quid second hand you can really get something incredible. IMHO most 1500 quid amps aren't as good as they should be (and are ofetn wildly overpriced). With high end stuff people tend to take very good care of it indeed and its often possible to find items in virtually brand new condition. I've bought many things on this forum and they literally are (and still are) in mint condition. Also most high end products are built to last a lifetime. Loads of good stuff out there and if you don't like it you can easily sell it on here without losing any money. There won't be any depreciation (or so little its not a worry).

You'll be amazed at what you can get.

• Upvote
Reactions: SteveS1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online