Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2007
Lancs
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's upgrade time but I'm not too sure which bit of kit to replace , so I'd like some suggestions please , budget is about £1000 and second hand kit is more than welcome .

Current set up is , Rega Saturn / Icon Stereo 40 / JM Lab Electra 905's .

Now the CD player is definately staying ,

and I'd like to stay with valves or something valve like .

I like the JM sound and my first thought was to find some second hand Micro Utopia's

but how much better are they , and would that leave the amp outclassed , or would I

be better upgrading the amp , I know EL34 push pulls are at the lower end of the valve ladder , but whats better for that kind of money .

I listen to rock / jazz / blues and even a bit of classical .

Any ideas ?

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Change the speakers to something bigger and easier to drive that match your room.

The amp and CD will do fine.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd probably say change the speakers too. although I am not familiar with the ones you have, I would say he elctronics you have are rather good.

Lots to choose from S/H at that price point. I know its bad from to reccomend your own kit, but 4 wammers can't be wrong. Try some Triangles. Very easy to drive, will fill a big room and compliment a small one, strangely.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Avoid the Micro Utopias. They need a zillion watts, and even then they sound
happens.gif.785a5c135e9ec27adf265d18872281b7.gif
. IMO.
tongue.png

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
early wrote:

It's upgrade time but I'm not too sure which bit of kit to replace , so I'd like some suggestions please , budget is about £1000 and second hand kit is more than welcome .Current set up is , Rega Saturn / Icon Stereo 40 / JM Lab Electra 905's .

Now the CD player is definately staying ,

and I'd like to stay with valves or something valve like .

I like the JM sound and my first thought was to find some second hand Micro Utopia's

but how much better are they , and would that leave the amp outclassed , or would I

be better upgrading the amp , I know EL34 push pulls are at the lower end of the valve ladder , but whats better for that kind of money .

I listen to rock / jazz / blues and even a bit of classical .

Any ideas ?
What don't you like about your current system that makes you so eager to spend a grand???
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

If you want to upgrade you need to save a lot more dosh and get a pair of Art Emotions. Put the money in an ISA and add to it til you get enough to make a real impact on what you have. I am not sure that a grand investment will give you much more than you have at the moment.

Perhaps there is something strange about me
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif
I only hanker after an upgrade when I something really takes my fancy and I have to have it, but never the thought "ooh I have got a grand let's upgrade the hifi."

Uzzy:nerd:

early

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2007
Lancs
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
uzzy wrote

What don't you like about your current system that makes you so eager to spend a grand???

If you want to upgrade you need to save a lot more dosh and get a pair of Art Emotions. Put the money in an ISA and add to it til you get enough to make a real impact on what you have. I am not sure that a grand investment will give you much more than you have at the moment.

I only hanker after an upgrade when I something really takes my fancy and I have to have it, but never the thought "ooh I have got a grand let's upgrade the hifi."

There's lots I like about my system , but if I had to pick something that could be improved on then I'd like better soundstaging .

As for ISA's , I can't save for toffee . I've had a little bit of financial luck and Mrs e has allowed me to treat myself .

£1000 second hand must be about £2500 new , surely that would be a step up .

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1000 is a lot of money, but he law of diminishing retirns is HUGE in HiFi and you own good kit at a price point where that means 1000 may only bring small improvements. . I(f you like the focal sound, the Be's are in a different league to the 905's and maybe what you need...they are lovely speakers and sound fantastic with the right kit. You can maybe have an audition of some new ones at a UKD dealer near you? Take your amp and cd and see what you think.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
early wrote:

I listen to rock / jazz / blues and even a bit of classical .Any ideas ?
Sound like a pair of Neats to me, versatile with most music, easy to position and super sweet with jazz and progressive rock. I miss my already:cs:

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
If you sell your amp and speakers... you might be able to upgrade both! Now that's a thought... But I agree with speakers first if you want to stay with valves...

Puresound A30? It has it's fans...

JJ

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
early wrote:

uzzy wrote

There's lots I like about my system , but if I had to pick something that could be improved on then I'd like better soundstaging .

As for ISA's , I can't save for toffee . I've had a little bit of financial luck and Mrs e has allowed me to treat myself .

£1000 second hand must be about £2500 new , surely that would be a step up .
Second hand prices are supply and demand so items in high demand will fetch more than 50% second hand.

Analysing what you have I wonder if there is a significant upgrade to be had for £1000. To me the item I would want if I was in the same position as you would be a pair of Art Emotions. You cannot find any second hand so that is £5,000 for the basic ones. Anything else for me would not be taking me to where I want to be.

So you need to go out and listen and think to yourself where do you want to go? What are my ideal speakers? What is the ideal amplifier to drive them?

If anything is a compromise then you will be continually hankering to change and each change will cost you money.

I was told my old mum everything comes to he who waits. In 1975 I heard the Gale GS401s and they were the best loudspeaker I had ever heard. In 1978 I finally managed to acquire a pair for £250 and it wasn't until 1979 that I could afford an amplifier to really make them sing. I was happy for twelve years (audtioning loads of other stuff in the meantime but nothing wsa giving me exactly what I wanted). Then in 1992 I aquired a pair of Chris Rogers Pro 9TL second hand for £50 and spent the next ten years or more improving them or trying to.

The Gales were given to friends and I searched for a loudspeaker that would give me all that I wanted. In 2000 I heard the Impressions and these were the loudspeakers that fulfilled for me all that my ears and mind told me I wanted. It was a year or two later that I finally acquired a used pair for half price (£8,000).

The moral of this story IMO is knowing what you want and striving to achieve it. If you change you need to be sure that what you are changing for satisfies what you are looking for because if it isn't you will be yearning to upgrade again in a short while.

So my advice would be go out and listen and get to bake offs in here to hear as much as you can and determine what floats your boat then go for it. If you must spend a grand upgrading now, I honestly cannot tell you what to do. If the speakers you have do not float your boat then you need to go out and listen but the problem you will have is if the speakers you really love need a lot of power to work then you will need to change your amplifier.

I guess I was fortunate working in the trade for a number of years where there were new toys in the shop all the time and always stuff to take home to try out and get my fix of different products.

I guess you have to do what works for you.

Enjoy the ride but most of all enjoy the music

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ESK wrote:

This lot have a 2nd hand pair for <£3K...
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif
Shame I dont need a second pair :nerd:

£2k more than he has got - you know through owning yours - would you spend £1k on a compromise or wait til you could afford a pair of Emotions

Uzzy

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ESK wrote:

Sorry forgot the link. No its the basics.http://www.centralaudio.co.uk/

Right next to a devilishly good looking amplifier...
Oooh some luvly stuff in there - god u got me tempted by the SP14 wonder if it would sound much better than my SP9. Prices are good methinks.

As to the Emotions - bargain of anyone's money - and upgrade path built in to signatures then silver signatures.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
That SP16 might be a better choice, I think it has been there a while, funnily enough that is one of the sites I kept an eye on when looking for a Pre-Amp.

I found them a bit expensive on the ARC gear, and I didn't buy my Pre from them. Maybe worth making an offer if you are interested though.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lyngdorf/Tact SDi2175 integrated.

Valve-like musicality and oodles of power.Remote control. Bucket loads of inputs.Looks cool too.

Defo a step up from the Icon IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k23435