Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of you might remember the saga regarding my Rega Elict going berserk and outputting DC to R/H channel thus roasting the voice coils on both bass drivers, I've contacted ProAc (twice -no reply), Falcon Acoustics (helpful but nope), SEAS ( we might have something suitable at £140+ VAT each!!)
A few weeks have turned up nothing at all except similar results at huge markup - eBay came up trumps - a mint pair of drivers for £90 inc postage, fitted and all is good in the world again...

To make sure things were kept on keel and driver matching I removed one of the working mid/bass drivers from the L/H speaker and installed that into the R/H speaker mid/bass, I used the two replacement drivers for bass on L/R.
Oddly after fitting bass was non existent and clearly out of phase, I removed the drivers again for a sanity check that I didn't solder the cables out of phase? My work is good. Hmmm, recheck the speaker terminals because being a lemon can't be ruled out - Banana plugs are correct. Heeey, what's this??? All the years I've owned the speakers I've never noticed that the 'left' speakers terminals are ar$e about face? This wasn't me for sure even after reworking the crossovers because the terminals weren't removed because access was good to the PCB, clearly it's been like this from production and it's a fluke that I wired them up correctly from day one - naughty ProAc!

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Some of you might remember the saga regarding my Rega Elict going berserk and outputting DC to R/H channel thus roasting the voice coils on both bass drivers, I've contacted ProAc (twice -no reply), Falcon Acoustics (helpful but nope), SEAS ( we might have something suitable at £140+ VAT each!!)
A few weeks have turned up nothing at all except similar results at huge markup - eBay came up trumps - a mint pair of drivers for £90 inc postage, fitted and all is good in the world again...

To make sure things were kept on keel and driver matching I removed one of the working mid/bass drivers from the L/H speaker and installed that into the R/H speaker mid/bass, I used the two replacement drivers for bass on L/R.
Oddly after fitting bass was non existent and clearly out of phase, I removed the drivers again for a sanity check that I didn't solder the cables out of phase? My work is good. Hmmm, recheck the speaker terminals because being a lemon can't be ruled out - Banana plugs are correct. Heeey, what's this??? All the years I've owned the speakers I've never noticed that the 'left' speakers terminals are ar$e about face? This wasn't me for sure even after reworking the crossovers because the terminals weren't removed because access was good to the PCB, clearly it's been like this from production and it's a fluke that I wired them up correctly from day one - naughty ProAc!
I had that with a pair of MA GR20. It was only because I have to look inside every speaker I buy😂

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats, it's great you got it sorted. (y)

I'm surprised about the lack of response from ProAc. Maybe a phone call rather than an email (I know, I know, dreadfully old fashioned) to the ProAc technical bods would have at least got some response?
Or maybe you did call and they didn't get back to you?
Not good, either way. :poop:

But you can generally rely on eBay - most things turn up with a little patience! And a lot cheaper, I suspect, than a helpful response from ProAc.

Reactions: Strider

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats, it's great you got it sorted. (y)

I'm surprised about the lack of response from ProAc. Maybe a phone call rather than an email (I know, I know, dreadfully old fashioned) to the ProAc technical bods would have at least got some response?
Or maybe you did call and they didn't get back to you?
Not good, either way. :poop:

But you can generally rely on eBay - most things turn up with a little patience! And a lot cheaper, I suspect, than a helpful response from ProAc.
I was disappointed to be honest, I understand the speakers are senior citizens but I would've been giving them my business of they could source the drivers.
I couldn't belive my eyes after seeing a pair on eBay at a 3rd of the price of a new but different model from a supplier, good things come to that's miserable!😁

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is not good at all, however they were very helpful on the blower when l was asking infantile questions regarding a purchase of some Tablette 10's.
Funnily enough I called Proac and the MD happened to answer the phone and was very helpful in relation to my sales enquiry. Maybe they are more focussed on sales than service? To be fair Harbeth we’re terrible on a service item with me as well but Rockchild got a good result with Harbeth through his dealer. Maybe a Proac and Harbeth are not set up well to deal with the public in the way that Audio Note are who are exemplary

Reactions: Strider and Tarzan

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With regard to Harbeth I blew a pair of Tweeters on my C7 ES2's and contacted them . They were polite and helpful and even said that as I had been honest about blowing the tweeters and not trying to claim they were faulty they gave me 40% discount . As I was travelling about at that time with fairly regular trips to the South they even agreed for me to drop the speakers off at there factory and I could collect them at a later date next time I was down . Met Alan Shaw when i collected them and had a decent chat about music rather than hi fi . Given this I could not fault their service then but admit this was quite a few years ago .

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I don't believe in popular brand names anymore?. So much better competitive stuff out there. The standard of basic hifi is so high these days that you need to spend silly amount of money to better them.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Small beer compared to Absolute Sounds driver prices for Sonus Faber. I was quoted 1600 for each bass driver. SF Italy would not sell me them.
That's insane! I suspect their drivers are manafactured by a well known producer but tweaked a little for SF. I know that ProAc use SEAS drivers but have their own tolerances and look for matched pairs.

I love Sonus Faber speakers but thats daylight robbery for two drivers.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's insane! I suspect their drivers are manafactured by a well known producer but tweaked a little for SF. I know that ProAc use SEAS drivers but have their own tolerances and look for matched pairs.

I love Sonus Faber speakers but thats daylight robbery for two drivers.
Yep, another companies driver with a new dustcap, and with 5 point fixing rather than 4 or 6, b'stards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles