Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Rega Saturn I ordered a few backs arrived at the dealers last week, so I trolled over to collect it. The way my life is disorganised did of course mean that it arrived while the room I use to listen in was in the middle of redecoration, and I am slow with a paint brush.

I managed to listen to it for all of 30 minutes, then back into its box it went until just after lunch time today. The paints all dry, the carpets fitted, the furniture is back in, the CD's are all on the rack, the vinyl’s back in it's home, in something approaching the right order, and the Saturn has been playing away since about 12-30.

Sod me its good, even straight out of the box, 1 hour in its even better, 8 hours in and it is, wellI mean, I new it was good, but I did not realise it was this good, lovely bass control, superb midrange, and a really sweet top end, it times and grooves the way anything that says Rega on front should, and the tone and timbre on instruments and voices is the best I have had the privilege to own.

It pulls so much information from Discs it's a bit like having a new music collection to loose yourself in.

I'm looking forward to a musically indulgent weekend.

Dudy woxer-- even more a Rega Nut

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bloody good choice Dudy.

I am a big fan of Rega kit. Shoudl the unthinkable happen, and my Copland dies, Rega will be my next spinner .

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
biggrin.png
:D:D

That is how I was when I got mine and still am!

I have since done A/B testing in my system with £2K+ players and theSaturn is staying right where it is!

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice one dudy.

How's the bass compared to the Apollo ? That was my main problem with that cdp, how is it on the Saturn ?

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Way deeper,much more of it, and much more control as well, its not bloated or heavy, its just their, and its so much easier to hear what drummers are doing, the type of impact or tap being used. To may be put it into perspective I compared it with the Linn Majik,which I do like, the eyre at £2k(ish) which I also like , but prefer the Linn, Naim CD5x with and without flat cap.

Not all at the same time I must add, but always with rega amps.

It should surprise none of you that I prefer the Saturn, but I do like the slightly warmer sound. Any one in the market for a spinner up to £2,200 or may be more should have a listen to it. It is Rega, through and through in its presentation, but a bit grown up. In fact it may also be the CD spinner for people who don't like CD.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Good one Dudy! Sounds to be as good as I'd expect.

Shame my local Rega dealer is such twunt, but I do like the Mac.....

Arfa

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Me and my Apollo have been getting on really well for about 9 months now. Would love to hear the Saturn. No way I'd be able to afford it at present though.
sad.png

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an Apollo with Bryston pre and Rega amps bi-amped and Spendor 5Se speakers and loved it, it was a very early model and I had a few problems with it, and it went backwards and forward to Rega a few times. My dealer was excellent and gave me an Apollo on loan each time so I was never without a working Apollo.

Eventually after a few software mods it point blank refused to read a couple of my discs and Rega offered a full replacement. My dealer chose to take that as full replacement value against anything in the shop.

So I had free use of an Apollo for 10 months and now had £500 to put toward something else or take a new Apollo.

I auditioned the Saturn against the Linn Majick and Naim CDx5 in the shop. (as you can see, they sell Rega Linn and Naim so you don't get much flatter!) using Naim pre and power and Rega R7 speakers. I was also had an Apollo on hand to listen to against the winner.

It wasn't a difficult decision and even though I have changed the Pre and power amp and speakers the Saturn has remained. I recently home auditioned a Ayre C5xe (I think) and the Saturn is stil here.

I seriously think if it was reboxed and rebadged and sold for £2k people would still buy it and consider it value for money. At £1300 it is excellent value against it's peers.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice CDP, Dudy.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

I would like me some Saturn too. Funky space-age design but that could clash with the Creek Destiny amp or MF's X-T100.
tongue.png

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I dont know about the visual aesthetic solid, but from a sound synergy pov I thin the Rega spinner would gel very well the Destiny.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've a feeling too the Saturn will gel better with the Destiny than the MF.

What's going on with Rega amps btw? They don't seem to be seeing a Renaissance like the Rega spinners. That Mira seems to be around for a while now.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the amp's they have all had some fettling recently, as in it's now the 3, Brio 3, Mira 3 etc, rather than a full blown new amp, they just 'touched' up the bits that needed it.

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been listening all day, quick break while I cook dinner, then back to the hard grind of listening, but all I can really say so far is it keeps getting better, and better. In fact whayyy ferkin Hay

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been listening to the saturn for a minimum of 2 hours per day since I plugged it into the system, and it is still getting better, or I am really learning what to listen for. With the exception of thursday that is. It appears that it needs 15 minutes or so to come on song from being turned off, and then it gets into it's stride, but last night for around 1 hour or so it was bloody terrible. It came out of its sulk, and got on with things OK, but for that hour it really did sound as flat and lifeless as a cassette deck. (careful wording don't ya think) Hope it doesn't do that to me when I want it to strut it's stuff. (Alright show it off)

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How can it sound that bad for an hour? I blame the recording!

I will soon be in a position to upgrade again and the Saturn is high on my list... (however the nearest Rega dealer (Sound Gallery in High Wycombe) have so far come across as the biggest bunch of c*nts ever)

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not the recording, it was the arse end of one cd, and most of another. both CD's that I know quite well, and they are above average from a recording point of view. Its been fine since, sometimes think it's still getting better, other times I think its my imagination. But for whatever reason it did throw a bit of a wobbler. If you had the misfortune to hear it at that stage (if its normal) you'd wonder what the fuss was about.

Had a chat with the dealer about it,to be fair I wanted a bit of information on cartridges, and mentioned it in passing, they have had a few through the showroom now for dem purposes, he tells me I may have another crappy session to come. Unusually it seems the saturn does take a time to really settle in. Could it be the class A output section?

As for Rega dealers how far are you from

http://www.phonography.co.uk/cd.html

When the owner (Phil) had a shop in this part of the world he was one very good straight forward guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles