Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been reading some descriptions in the Hi-Fi Choice Awards issue and having a laugh to myself.

Best Equipment Support - ...the eye opening clarity, rock solid imagery and dynamic scaling...

Best Speaker Stand - ...the sound is warm and rich, without overprojection but with real bass authority and first rate dynamic range...

Is it me or are these absurd descriptions of an inert piece of kit. These descriptions are fine for an amp or CD player or even a cable but ahumble stand?

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ClassikFan wrote:

No he was not on the judging panel, but Richard Black was?
But did RB write it up? I quite like the guy and like to think that kind of dross would make his eyes roll. Mind you he is a journo so anythings possible.
biggrin.png

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

ClassikFan wrote:
No he was not on the judging panel, but Richard Black was?
But did RB write it up? I quite like the guy and like to think that kind of dross would make his eyes roll. Mind you he is a journo so anythings possible.
biggrin.png
I quite liked him until I got that free CD with HFC a few months ago with him trying to retune my ears, so now I think him capable of daft journalism also.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
how do they test them, hit em with a hammer or what? do speaker stands sound the same with any speaker stuck on them, do racks of any description do anything other than keep gear off the floor?.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We should have our awards for non sense journalism. And actually buy a trophy, get it engraved and send it off to them!

Who's up for it? might need to start a fresh thread for this.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes journalists who write such nonsenseare almost as daft as hi-fi nerds who sit in their sheds making their own interconnects!

lilolee

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshir
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not all speaker stands work the same with all speakers. Some speakers prefer light open stands, whilst others need heavy damped stands to work their best.

So how they can recommend one stand above another is nonsense :Not Sure:

Mind you their descriptions show that a degree in Media Studies wasn't a complete waste
wink.png

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
did he burn his fingers on a soldering iron in his shed last night:dunno:

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

We should have our awards for non sense journalism. And actually buy a trophy, get it engraved and send it off to them!Who's up for it? might need to start a fresh thread for this.
yes we should, start a new sticky thing, and go for the annual wigwam egg on face award, presentation at easter of course.

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am thinking of taking up HiFi Journalism myself.

It can't be that difficult to sit an listen to music all day and then write about it! Nice work if you can get it.

My readers would probably get bored with me describing stuff as nice or not nice though as I don't have a degree in media studies and would be unable to express myself sufficently well.
tongue.png

E

Effem

Come now Stuart, I thought you had an "O" level in bullshit being in the printing trade
biggrin.png

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
To describe loudspeaker stands as having a sound that’s applicable to whatever loudspeaker is placed upon them is a little daft. However if you do couple a loudspeaker to a stand then, in effect, the stand becomes part of the loudspeaker and in this way will influence cabinet colourations and this is audible.

In instances where the loudspeaker enclosure is under damped (will continue to vibrate after the stimulus to do so has ceased) coupling to a heavy mass loaded stand is a good thing. Usually only applies to beer-budget loudspeakers.

In all other instances where loudspeaker enclosures are braced and/or damped (the knuckle test will suffice) it’s preferable IMO to de-couple the loudspeaker from the stand with some sort of acoustically lossy material.

G

speaker stands will make a difference. but equipment supports will only make a difference under a record player. under amp cd etc, there will be no change in sound at all.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that a better stand will makea difference for my CD player. Only because it's susceptible to vibrations and sometimes skips on the LACK table it's on.

I cannot imagne that a stand will make any difference to a solid state tuner.

G

i have made my own wall mounting for my equipment and it works fine. keeps it away from floor vibrations. job done for 30 quid.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
but the wall is connected to the floor. the vibrations can sneak up the wall when you're not looking
biggrin.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.