Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, you shamed me into it....

I'm Ed, I had a hernia repaired 2 days ago and I'm in room 119. Whether the hernia was caused by speakers, sheep or scuba diving I have no idea.

I've exhibited before, the last time with a pair of Quad 2912s that I brought in an animal trailer, down from the Isle of Mull. And you're right, that's not going to happen again. So it's simple and quite minimalist. Source will be a laptop with a load of flacs with a Marantz 63 CD player, just in case..... I'll be using a Minidsp SHD for room correction and matching. A Quad 909 as the amp with a backup of a 405-II. Speakers are the diminutive Q Acoustic 2020i (I think £100 second hand) with a REL S3 sub to give them a bit of growl.

I think the music will be mostly prog - sorry, but it can be very wide ranging - and a good selection of classical standards.

I have absolutely no idea of what it will sound like. because I haven't put it all together yet. I *want* it to be tight, musical and beautifully lush. It won't be........ But I can always lock the door.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely pleased I read the previous posts for context. On it's own, this would have had me very worried.
It's his proximity to the Welsh border you know ...

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ok you lot . . .

Digital sources
  • Innuos ZENmini Mk2 running Roon with local files (with some hires) also running Tidal and Qobuz
  • Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC
  • both with Linear Power Supplies

Analogue sources
  • Michell Gyrodec modified with ceramic main ball bearing, Delrin ball bearings in the suspension towers & True Point Audio suspension pylons and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B with an Expert Stylus Paratrace Diamond
  • TT isolation by Solid Sounds
  • Firebottle phono stage

Amplification
  • Musical Fidelity A5 integrated with some massive SJS Level 2 modifications
  • DC blocker

Speakers
  • Boenicke W8s with bespoke Solid Sounds swing bases

plus some wires I guess :)

kind regards,
Paul

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Room No. 109

WAM History: Have a done a couple of Scalfords and a Kegworth, each time with a slightly different system.

Most Interesting/distinctive part of system: Since my Modwright integrated amp shat itself and the poor customer service with eye watering repair costs I experienced I've got rid and sourced a mid-1980s Yamaha pre and power combination contemporaneous with my NS1000Ms. I think the combination of the C65 Pre and M65 Power sounds excellent (but then I would say that!). The most money by far has been spent on the analogue front end and the Acoustic Solid/AO Arm/vdH Black Beauty and Aurorasound Vida work extremely well together in my opinion.

No streaming - my only nod to digital is the EAR Acute Mk1 CDP.

Much Tinkering: A little bit. The NS1000Ms have had the crossovers upgraded to more modern components similar to that offered by Troels Gravesen. Binding post upgrade on the Yamaha M65 power amp to accept banana plugs.

Likely Music: As I've done previously at Scalford and Kegworth my first reaction is to ask punters if they want to hear anything they've brought along. The great thing about the Wam show in my opinion is that you have this opportunity to hear music you know well on a completely different system rather than be restricted to what the demonstrator wants you to hear.

Having said that my personal musical choices are possibly not typical hi-fi show fare - plenty of jazz (Blue Note, Impulse, CTI, Strata East) but also funk, soul, Brazilian bossa/jazz, some stuff from Africa - west in particular, big band salsa, reggae/dub, a dollop of broken beat, deep house and the Wam anathema old school rap. No rock or pop but like I've said - if you bring it I'll play it.

Hi-Fi Cliche Sound: the flat earther's trilogy of Pace, Rhythm and Timing

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am showing too Steve but I would love to have a listen to your set up if I get a chance👍

Oh Yeah! What room did you say you are in😝
I'm sure I can do a half-hour stint looking after your room, if you want to have a wander.

Reactions: MVJ and steve 57

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking forward to hearing the Sony APM speakers.

Oh and I'll be bringing my LP which contains the lowest bass note ever cut to vinyl. You are all insured I take it.

Reactions: MVJ

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm intrigued by this LP you have, thought my copy of faithless Reverence went pretty low. Whatever it is I'm sure my Summits would make a damn good fist of it.

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm intrigued by this LP you have, thought my copy of faithless Reverence went pretty low. Whatever it is I'm sure my Summits would make a damn good fist of it.
It's a church organ.

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been a member here since 2013 and this'll be my first show. I was going to bring my Yamaha NS1000M's, but I've decided to give my recently restored Omar Skinner speakers a run...

Room: 114
Name: Pete

Equipment
  • Speakers: Omar Skinner CR502 & BK XXLS400-DF subwoofer
  • Amplifier: Accuphase E-306 Integrated
  • TT: Technics SP10 MK.2 in custom plinth
  • Tonearm: Audio Technica Phonomac PMAT-1010 MK.V
  • Cartridge: Ortofon Cadenza Black
  • Headamp: Technics SU300MC
  • CDP: Accuphase DP65V
  • Streamer: NovaFidelity X50D with internal 4tb HD & operated with an ASUS Tablet running NovaFidelity's proprietary software
  • DAC: Topping D90
  • Word Clock: Mutec MC3+usb
  • USB Regen: UpTone USB Regen
Cables
  • Home brew 47Labs OTA 4708 Stratos solid core speaker cables
  • Assorted Mogami 75ohm SPDIF & AES cables
  • Chord Chorus XLR-XLR cable
  • AudioQuest Diamond DBS I2S cable
  • Furutech GT2 USB cable
  • Yannis Tome SilverChord Plus Tonearm cables
  • REL High Level Subwoofer cable
  • Fisual Hollywood Digital Optical Toslink cable
Music
  • Primarily bring your own, but they'll be 4TB of assorted music plus LP's & CD's of assorted artists & genres...
Thanks for reading and look forward to meeting you all on the 2nd October... :)

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Omar Skinner CR502. They remind me a little of the large Celefs I had.

Boyse

Wammer Plus
Jan 29, 2019
Wootton
AKA
Stephen
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Is this a requirement ? To do this write up ?
as I feel uncomfortable with it and it’s a bit of a one up.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Boycie please ignore this macho posturing by all of us . The truth is we are all bricking it , Me more than most because my system has not uttered a peep in three months . You have no obligation to put anything on this thread unless like me you want to lie through your teeth on stuff you hope will be ready .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online