Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
London, UK
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any harpsichord fans out there willing to share what the finest recordings in their collection are? Wish I had more

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
my favourite Harpsicord record is "Soler, Works for Harpsicord" Rafael Puyana, Philips 432 830-2, I had taped a friends discontinued LP decades ago and was thrilled when it was released on CD.

Very exciting playing, perhaps not what you may be expecting...

I am fond of both the Roussett and Moroney Bach Italian Concerto recordings.

edavey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2010
Apologies for not answering the question as I have no idea what are the best recordings. I'm by no means an aficionado, but two of my favourites recordings featuring the instrument are these two fusion albums:

1) Spinning Wheel: Roundtable - a folk project by Christopher Hogwood and David Munrow from 1969. Christopher Hogwood wigs out on the keyboard on their cover of Scarborough Fair.

The%2BRoundtable%2B-%2BSpinning%2BWheel.jpg

2) L'Arpeggiata: Mediterraneo - released this year

virgin.jpg

which features extremely varied early/folk music from Greece, Spain, Turkey etc all played with real verve by Christina Pluhar's top-notch ensemble. Including some great harpsicord playing!

peterh

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 20, 2005
Manchester, , United
AKA
Peter
I am rather partial to Keith Jarrett playing the Goldberg Variations on harpsichord. I know it was not well received by the critics but I like it and it seems very well recorded.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

peteAllen

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2009
London, UK
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wanda Landowska playing Scarlatti on 78s!You can easily get CD transcriptions, but somehow they just aren't the same.

:^
Just listened to the cd. As you I think you suggest, the sound (on cd) isn't great. Bit closed and flat. Really enjoyed the performance though, thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles