The way forward

Lucifer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
, ,
Could this be the way forward, as an alternative to the CD? Here is a link to see what the different qualities may afford to the listener:

Studio Master WMA

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-too-darn-hot--sacd.aspxor

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-vivaldi-l-amore-per-elvira-sacd.aspx

from there take it to the CD or MP3 format downloads for a comparison of quality.

I am not selling for Linn Records and have no connection with them - just thought it might be of interest since their catalogue contains classical, jazz and Scottish music and their concept may well turn out to be how we will buy musicin future (andwithout the problems of DRM or incompatibility of formats with hardware).

As far as I can see the concept means that in future we will have the capability to download and replay music, as it was recorded, without the need to worry about source compatibility issues - i.e. forget about CDPs, SACD players etc. It will all be available on hard discs, or other storage media, which are forever increasing in size (and reducing in price).

I forecast that we will soon (in the next 5 to 20 years) see the demise of LP, CD, DVD-A, SACD and even forthcoming formats such as Blu Ray, HD DVD assoftware and that all video or audio will become available in high definition/resolution over the internet for immediate consumption or download to stable storage media. The quality of the source hardware playing the software will, theoretically, become reduntant or am I wrong?

Whatdo thewammers think?

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know about the technology but seems clear that being able to stream in a variety of formats will be good for the audiophool of the future.

Trouble is I like something tangible - I like a CD with nice packaging. Grumpy unreconstructed old git - that's me!

G

Well i find it quite depressing. I mean i know vinyl was around long before mebut CD's. I was there at the beinning and now to be there at the supposed end makes Duvet feel all of his 41 yrs this morning.
wub.png
. Long live cd.Down with downloads

Need a pitchfork emoticon

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

Well i find it quite depressing. I mean i know vinyl was around long before mebut CD's. I was there at the beinning and now to be there at the supposed end makes Duvet feel all of his 41 yrs this morning.
wub.png
. Long live cd.Down with downloadsNeed a pitchfork emoticon
Reasons to be cheerful
biggrin.png

1. vinyl has lived on so why not CD

2. CD is a universal carrier

3. There will always be sad old audiophools like us to maintain a market. And if the record companies think creatively on this they should exploit us with nice clever artwork.

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
I'm all for getting rid of cd's in favour of downloading and even buying directly from the artist. Less hassle, less cost (equipment and music) and better quality. However not everyone is up on how to use a PC so things might take a while. Given the rapid decrease in sales in the USA for cd's i wonder how long that will take to impact the UK.

Personnally i think music sellers will adapt to offer some kind of value added service on the high street. But it will need to be quite a big change.

Vinyl will always be useful.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
enjoy_the_music wrote:

Given the rapid decrease in sales in the USA for cd's i wonder how long that will take to impact the UK.
is already. A lot of my daughters friends just buy downloads.

Joff

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2007
Northampton, , Unite
I think (hope) that many bands/artists spend time and effort on creating a package of sleeve notes, photos and artwork which all goes towards making the final product into something tangible that you can hold in your hand. Downloads should be treated like videos were, simply a way to get the music out there and encourage sales.

Personally, I bought loads of music from bands I did not know when Napster was around as I could download a few tracks, listen at my convenience and if I liked it, I would go and buy the CD/LP.

I must have spent a small fortune on music because of the Napster thing. The complete opposite of what the industry were worried about. I buy less unknown stuff these days.

Record companies should release all there deleted back catalogue for download, perhaps for a small subscription or something. The fact that vinyl still hasn't rolled over and died I think shows that downloads will never take over completely. Its the same with ebooks.

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
No not at all in my opinion.

Bands (well, their labels) spend money to create artwork. Remember the latest Beck incident where the UK music industry forced the removal of glamouress OTT packaging because it wasnt fair on smaller bands? Downloads create a more level playing field in that respect.

I much prefer a more personal media option where i search out the bands, say on myspace or youtube via genre and my taste in music, download their music and they get more of the proceedings. They can send me some material tack if they want to but its not obligatory and does in the end create less waste.

The most important thing is the music right?

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
I am not going to start a debate about poor MP3 sound qaulity compare to the silver disccause you all knowCD SOUND LOTS BETTER and that's why....

Only DownloadI will be doing is at Donnington
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Yeah of course because MP3 is low bitrate crap...

Full size FLAC files, EAC ripped WAV's and the like are in some cases better than the CD itself.

EAC (exact audio copy) makes multiple bypasses of the CD until it gets the copy 100%. Something your cd player won't do.

Only now are audio sites starting to offer full size, zero loss files. Albeit large (700+mb) most people even now have enough bandwidth to download them fairly quickly.

johan1970

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 21, 2007
, , Belgium
When downloads are available in lossless format, like FLAC, than there is no reason for CD to survive. The argument that you want a nice packaging will be blown away by the convenience of a download. By the way, if you really like a nice package you can choose to go for vinyl, much nicer than CD packages and the sound can be better also. This in contradiction to CD which in the end will be equal or worse sounding than a lossless download.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
enjoy_the_music wrote:

I'm all for getting rid of cd's in favour of downloading and even buying directly from the artist. Less hassle, less cost (equipment and music) and better quality. However not everyone is up on how to use a PC so things might take a while. Given the rapid decrease in sales in the USA for cd's i wonder how long that will take to impact the UK. Personnally i think music sellers will adapt to offer some kind of value added service on the high street. But it will need to be quite a big change.

Well, fine for those with broadband, but for those of us dependent on a flaky dial-up connection `cos BT or whoever can't be arsed to up-grade our exchange, we are somewhat stuck.......

And my views on having my music depending on computers have ben well aired, so I wo......
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

Semi-Luddite Boxer

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
boxer wrote:

enjoy_the_music wrote:
I'm all for getting rid of cd's in favour of downloading and even buying directly from the artist. Less hassle, less cost (equipment and music) and better quality. However not everyone is up on how to use a PC so things might take a while. Given the rapid decrease in sales in the USA for cd's i wonder how long that will take to impact the UK. Personnally i think music sellers will adapt to offer some kind of value added service on the high street. But it will need to be quite a big change.

Well, fine for those with broadband, but for those of us dependent on a flaky dial-up connection `cos BT or whoever can't be arsed to up-grade our exchange, we are somewhat stuck.......

And my views on having my music depending on computers have ben well aired, so I wo......
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

Semi-Luddite Boxer
I agree with the Boxer - right now my hi-fi and its software is the most reliable (material) thing I've got - my PC on the other hand.........................:nup:And that's before I address the issue of sound quality. So I'll wait for the technology to develop and mature as it surely will:dunno:

Full-Luddite Strat

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Luddites!

This is great news, audiophool downloads at last! Bring it on.

Must order my squeeze box soon now.

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
I wouldnt have all the tunes on the PC its asking for trouble..plus you don't want the PC on when playing tunes.

A wireless NAS drive full of movies and linked to a squeezebox and great DAC is the way forward.

Keeping the DAC seperate gives really nice flexibility.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan