Theta digital ds pro basic iiia

PFED

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 19, 2016
London
AKA
Pavel
This DS Pro Basic IIIa is a simpler, more cost-effective version of the highly regarded DS Pro Gen Va digital processor from Theta Digital's Legacy series.

This unit is in very good condition with "0" flaws. It has some Marks on a bottom of the lid as well as minor marks on corners, however no dents or anything major.

I bought this DAC to compare with my Theta Chroma, however price difference is too big to justify its cost as well as I don’t have balanced amp. The unit comes with the power-cord, but unfortunately I do not have the original boxes for it.

I will make sure to pack it extremely well for a safe delivery. The DS Pro Basic IIIa is a very good DAC even by todays modern upsamling standards...

I compared it to Benchmark DAC2 (I recently sold it) and trust me, Benchmark is as clean as Theta, but it is just lifeless comparing to Basic IIIa.

Please note, this is upgraded “A” version with is better than original Basic III. This is original European version of DAC, not US conversion!

My price - 450GBP cash/bank or PayPal if buyer pays fees.

I've sold it on eBay, but highest bidder turned out from Russia and I can't post there due to restrictions: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321996062981?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

You can find more pictures here: http://1drv.ms/1O88U3C

I'm happy to post within EU, buyer pays the postage.

Product Details/Highlights... When it was introduced, the DS Pro set the standard for digital playback, making it into Class A of Stereophile's recommended components. The DS Pro was, to my knowledge, the first software-based digital processor, employing Motorola 56001 DSP (Digital Signal Processing) chips. All the DSPro Basic's electronics are carried on a single printed circuit board, separated into digital and analog sections. The unit has two separate power supplies, one for the digital section and one for analog circuitry. The digital supply consists of a transformer, rectifier, two 4700µF filter caps, and a large heat-sunk regulator in a TO-3 package. The analog supply is more elaborate, with a similar transformer, two rectifiers, and four 2200µF filter caps. Additional analog power-supply components are located at the other end of the PCB, next to the DACs and analog output stage. Six voltage regulators are used in the analog supply, but not the typical TO-220 type found in most digital processors. Instead, they are small round metal cans which, according to DSPro Basic designer Mike Moffat, offer superior sound over the less expensive and easier-to-implement TO-220s. The digital section features the ubiquitous Yamaha YM3623B 16-bit S/PDIF decoder, along with a few chips whose markings were painted over. The Yamaha decoder extracts the clock information from the signal with an internal phase-locked loop (PLL), strips out the subcode, demultiplexes left and right audio, and sends the data to the next processing stage. The wire carrying the digital data stream from the RCA input jack to the digital board was carefully chosen for its sonic virtues. This low-propagation delay wire was suggested by Dave Magnan, maker of the highly regarded Magnan Type V interconnects. According to Mike Moffat's listening tests, even this short (3") piece of wire carrying ones and zeros affects the processor's sound. Other design aspects of the DSPro Basic include careful attention to timing relationships and clock signals to avoid jitter, an input circuit to keep RF out, and minimizing ground-plane noise. Things to know…

Original MSRP $2,695.00

Theta3A

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Payment made yesterday! :)
Theta DS PRO Basic IIIA

Important advice:

Don't turn off the power after usage!

Think i have seen an explanation either by Jason Stoddard or Mike Moffat why it takes so long time for R2R technology to reach maximum.

A normal amplifier reach a stable temperature in about 30 minutes, so it seems confusing that the Theta DS PRO Basic IIIA even after 1 week still improves.

My experience (i have room with good acoustics and Carlsson OA52.4):

1-2 days after power on, it just bugs me the big difference to 3-4 months continuously power on, lack of detail, calmness and naturalness (nowadays i wait minimum a week after power on).

7 days it have improved a lot but still it will continue to improve quite a bit.

14 day's now it starts to close in to it's capabilities, not the maximum but still lot of fun.

It cost almost nothing to test, and the end result is quite impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online