Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am very pleased for you as you seem to love it.  I recommended my pal bought one in the early 80s when Denon sold them all off for just over £100 each . he was pleased with it until he decided to change to Naim and he gave it to me.  He also bought an AT1010 at a show at the same time when AT were selling them off for £100 at the show.   He also gave that to me (he has subsequently passed away so I will never sell that or give it away).

I plugged it into my main system - and it wasn't for me.  I then plugged my SP9 into it (to use it as a power amp) and it still wasn't for me but did sound much better to my ears.  I thought perhaps it would be good in the conservatory so I plugged it in there (in place of the Pioneer A400) and thought "nah" and was so impressed I gave it to a mate in need.

All this goes to show we all have our own views and on occasions they may coincide with others but the law of audiophile is - "let your ears decide" as it is nothing to do with being in an owner's club it is all about the music.

It was beautifully built but in the late 70s there was just too much competition at the £800 ish retail price - hence I guess why they sold a load off cheap.  

• Upvote
  • Sad
Reactions: JANDL100 and oldius

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It has to be down to the listener's ears.

I have owned so much gear and listened to ten times as much. I remember wandering past the Denon shop in the 1980s and not even venturing inside because everyone told me that Linn and Naim and Rega were better. Though I haven't heard of these amps being sold off, nothing would surprise me about the UK audio scene in the 1980s. So many great products went to waste because of the craziness of the industry and companies folded because of it, creating longstanding bitterness and resentment.

Let's face it, most of the Japanese statement products weren't even released in this country, though they often made it elsewhere in Europe, and even now, people will say, as Culturecrammer did, "I wouldn't have considered it." Thank goodness the internet is now allowing people the opportunity to hear about these products and listen to them, instead of ignoring them as I once stupidly did. I am simply delighted that the forum owners of this amp got the chance to listen to one and thoroughly enjoy it in their systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It has to be down to the listener's ears.
That is what I said - just because I didn't like it means nowt - as i said it is about the ears of the beholder .. Interestingly the owner that gave it to me changed to Naim some 18 years after its purchase when he upgraded his speakers from Celestion Ditton 25s to Art models of the day (cannot remember the name but they were the ones with the slate tops and Focal Berylium Tweeters).  

There is a load of nice kit from the 70s out there - e.g.  Amcron DC300A power amp - lovely unit built like a tank - will probably last forever but it wasn't for me.  Undoubtedly they will be someone's nirvana though.  

Reactions: oldius

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry ..  :peace:   but as a previous owner of one I thought I should share my views - after all there are two sides to every discussion.  
Absolutely. I’ve owned some stellar pieces that just didn’t grab me.

Out of interest what was it about the Denon that didn’t gel? 

Reactions: uzzy and oldius

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Out of interest what was it about the Denon that didn’t gel? 
Compared to the Audio Research SP9/Hafler combination it lacked the emotion, bass control and slam .. it had a shallower and narrower sound stage. it lacked the same clarity and ability to reach in and follow particular instruments.  Compared to the Pioneer A400 I could not pick a preference so I got the wife to sit down to AB the two.  She could pick slight differences between each amp but could not describe exactly what was different and could not say say one was better than the other just slightly different with the A400 sounding slightly less airy but a bit more forceful  (which was a relief for me as it was how I felt too).   The 850 did not fit in the space where the A400 is in the conservatory (with Pioneer 505 precision cd player on top) so I kept the A400 and gave the 850 to a mate. 

There certainly are, and your views are every bit as valid as mine. Wrong of course, but just as valid  :)
No that is not valid - the point is my ears are right for me (just as yours are for you) - if we all bought stuff based on what other people liked rather than choosing what our own ears like best it will lead to constant disappointment and frequent box changing lol 

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion and there are so many, many variables: ears, room, system, speaker matching. As always, use your ears and if you enjoy what the product does, over a sustained period, in your own system, then it's one to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Compared to the Audio Research SP9/Hafler combination it lacked the emotion, bass control and slam .. it had a shallower and narrower sound stage. it lacked the same clarity and ability to reach in and follow particular instruments.  Compared to the Pioneer A400 I could not pick a preference so I got the wife to sit down to AB the two.  She could pick slight differences between each amp but could not describe exactly what was different and could not say say one was better than the other just slightly different with the A400 sounding slightly less airy but a bit more forceful  (which was a relief for me as it was how I felt too).   The 850 did not fit in the space where the A400 is in the conservatory (with Pioneer 505 precision cd player on top) so I kept the A400 and gave the 850 to a mate. 

No that is not valid - the point is my ears are right for me (just as yours are for you) - if we all bought stuff based on what other people liked rather than choosing what our own ears like best it will lead to constant disappointment and frequent box changing lol 
Thanks Uzzy, that’s interesting. 

Reactions: uzzy

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I bought my PMA-850 recently. I bought it for a change of scene as much as anything else but what I’ve found is an excellent amplifier. It sounds great and has so many inputs and outputs anything is possible. How many amplifiers allow for three turntables and two tape decks to be connected along with a Streamer and CD player too.

I would agree with all the positives written here, the Denon has all the raw power and HiFi finesse needed to get the most from your sources. It is a very musical amplifier and has no problem getting your foot tapping and I have found it to be the equal of any modern integrated amplifier I’ve heard at shows or at bake offs. I’m very happy with mine.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I bought my PMA-850 recently. I bought it for a change of scene as much as anything else but what I’ve found is an excellent amplifier. It sounds great and has so many inputs and outputs anything is possible. How many amplifiers allow for three turntables and two tape decks to be connected along with a Streamer and CD player too.

I would agree with all the positives written here, the Denon has all the raw power and HiFi finesse needed to get the most from your sources. It is a very musical amplifier and has no problem getting your foot tapping and I have found it to be the equal of any modern integrated amplifier I’ve heard at shows or at bake offs. I’m very happy with mine.
Great to hear, Tim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online