Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow :eek: I loved my Audio Physics Virgo 2. :love:
Only goes to show. Here, the image never seemed 'real' and I thought they had a bit of top-end rolloff, slightly loose bass and something not quite right in the crossover response around the shift from bass to mids. They weren't truly bad though, not by a long stretch, it's just that I was expecting pure magic and I didn't get it. My room possibly. Speakers are incredibly personal and incredibly room sensitive, of course. Here, the Living Voice just vanish and I get that 'walk-in' soundstage, but at Stoke, they sounded boxy, a bit closed in and had pretty much zero imaging.

Reactions: Strider

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll put everyone out of their misery: Audio Physic Virgo II. A black ash pair that seemed to have been owned by almost every member here at one time.

I bought them because I'm an 'image' junkie and I'd read all the reviews about this holographic, walk-in soundstage. I never managed to get it here, and I figured to make it work, I'd need them so far apart that one would need to be in a different room. To be honest, the search for the elusive mega-imaging somewhat blinded me to their other faults.

Mark bought them, but neither of us are sure exactly why :)
I had a pair of Audio Physic somethingorother years ago and thought they were very average. They made an approximation of the right noises in more or less the right order, not quite Les Dawson or Andrew Prevue but close. You oldies will understand those references. Others get some culture(y)

I also had a floor standing Amphion the one with holes in the side, nice to look at but more or less a similar noise to the Audio Physics.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only goes to show. Here, the image never seemed 'real' and I thought they had a bit of top-end rolloff, slightly loose bass and something not quite right in the crossover response around the shift from bass to mids. They weren't truly bad though, not by a long stretch, it's just that I was expecting pure magic and I didn't get it. My room possibly. Speakers are incredibly personal and incredibly room sensitive, of course. Here, the Living Voice just vanish and I get that 'walk-in' soundstage, but at Stoke, they sounded boxy, a bit closed in and had pretty much zero imaging.
The all important roll of synergy is in play. the room the front end the pre & the amp & speakers all even cables (yes I know believe what you will) need to work together it took me 4 decades plus of searching/researching to bring my system together in the same room. If any component is not quite right/changed it can all fall apart as in rabski's case a truly believable system at rabski manor did not quite work at Stoke or as in my case it all suddenly came together. As is will see me out.

I have heard lowther's in a domestic work well. A stunning 15" Tannoy system 50 years ago in a soft furnished lounge so large it had it's own weather system.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They sounded better in your cavernous room because they had room to breath, I found the frequency response to be all over the place and simply couldn't get them to sing in my room, they were an oddity for sure.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They sounded better in your cavernous room because they had room to breath, I found the frequency response to be all over the place and simply couldn't get them to sing in my room, they were an oddity for sure.
Side firing woofers seem to work well in my room, my MBLs are the same.
I can imagine them being a bit cramped if they have too little space to the sides.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This could be a fun list ;)

There have been quite a few over the decades, but I'd definitely say the Van den Hul DDT that lived here for a while until I mercifully broke the cantilever cleaning the turntable. Apparently, DDT stands for depth, detail and timbre. Proof, if ever it was needed, that the Dutch do indeed understand irony.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly, all I can think of in reply to the original question is Scabies.

From work, before you judge.

Twice.

• Haha
Reactions: Jules_S and rabski

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles