Thorens TD 124 DD 140th Anniversary

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Considering it is a full Turntable , Arm and Cartridge the price is not that steep compared with quite a few other mcg like SME and others . Thorens were there at the very start and I would not view this as being anything like the rip offs that Naim and others are currently putting out . Yes expensive but given the work and quality of finish probably a fair price . This comment comes from a fully digital user who would not even consider even a cheap disc spinner .

DT79

Wammer
Apr 6, 2022
Bournemouth, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wouldn’t it be nice if manufacturers made their special anniversary products accessible to a wider range of people? Dynaudio have the right idea - the Special Forty was/is within anyone’s reach even if you have to save up.

Nothingface

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2021
West Midlands
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wouldn’t it be nice if manufacturers made their special anniversary products accessible to a wider range of people? Dynaudio have the right idea - the Special Forty was/is within anyone’s reach even if you have to save up.

A special anniversary edition invariably means the "best" parts chosen by a manufacturer. Some parts & the manufacturing process costs more than others.

DT79

Wammer
Apr 6, 2022
Bournemouth, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A special anniversary edition invariably means the "best" parts chosen by a manufacturer. Some parts & the manufacturing process costs more than others.
I know but it’s a choice on their part what they make and who they pitch it at. They aren’t charging £1m and claiming it’s the best turntable ever made, so clearly they’ve made their choices/compromises.

I don’t really care, but it just seems a trend to make these things ever less attainable.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some would say £10,000,000 is a lot for a 400yr old painting .. Someone buys them to just sit in a vault , others on walls only they can see . Few are rarely seen by the public once sold . It’s certainly not open to the wider public ..
They have done their costings aimed at a collector who loves the sound of vinyl ..
140 is about right and at a collector’s price ..
1.5 million in sales . Designing and manufacturing a limited quantity . More than half of that ..dealers ?
I bet it sounds awesome . At least at a reasonable price compared to some TT I heard at the High End show costing many X more

Reactions: Nothingface

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Things went wrong when they introduced the pre anniversary 124 as a direct drive!

The 124 is an idler and should have stayed that way. It’s debatable wether this anniversary model is worth the extra over the std 124 DD

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m always a bit wary about turntables with shiny metal platters. As far as I’m concerned, records should sit on a rubber or felt mat in most designs.

I think I’d prefer a natural wood finish than the super varnished version! But I’m guessing it looks stunning in the flesh.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The real high-end Thorens is pictured here, on page 103 of this amazing photoblog from Munich.

https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?13372-2023年德國慕尼黑High-End音響展實況報導-Munich-High-End-Show/page103

A4C6AC64-9620-4E17-BC6D-977FD767E9F0.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles