Those nasty Crosley type TT’s - the least ‘worst’?

dicy

Veteran Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2006
Lewes
AKA
Rich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening All

My Daft teenage daughter has been collecting ’vinyls’ for the past year:mad: and has been nagging me for one of the Crosley (or similar) suitcase style record players:rolleyes:

I have point blank refused and explained that on the first play a record will be damaged. I even saved my first proper TT - Rega Planar 2 - in the hope that one of my daughters will get into the hobby and have a lovely pair of Gold Monitors to pair with a cute little Creek amp. But apparently that is ugly blah,blah,blah.

My wife has asked me to soften my stance as ‘surely it’s better she is getting into records’ than having them stuck in a frame!

So looking for advice on which of these nasties might do the least damage to a record and actually sound slightly ok? Suggestions on something Similar or possibly acceptable to an idiotic 15 year old gladly welcomed.

New or 2nd hand, not fussy. (But budget would be £200 absolute max)

Cheers

Rich

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening All

My Daft teenage daughter has been collecting ’vinyls’ for the past year:mad: and has been nagging me for one of the Crosley (or similar) suitcase style record players:rolleyes:

I have point blank refused and explained that on the first play a record will be damaged. I even saved my first proper TT - Rega Planar 2 - in the hope that one of my daughters will get into the hobby and have a lovely pair of Gold Monitors to pair with a cute little Creek amp. But apparently that is ugly blah,blah,blah.

My wife has asked me to soften my stance as ‘surely it’s better she is getting into records’ than having them stuck in a frame!

So looking for advice on which of these nasties might do the least damage to a record and actually sound slightly ok? Suggestions on something Similar or possibly acceptable to an idiotic 15 year old gladly welcomed.

New or 2nd hand, not fussy. (But budget would be £200 absolute max)

Cheers

Rich
Someone will be along with advice, dansette?

Good luck with this, my daughter is after a car but it has to be a white Seat Ibiza of a certain age with a certain interior, below a certain mileage etc etc.

You would have thought a Rega is a great start.
Having said that I used to play Tarkus and other weird stuff on a dansette at my grandmothers in the 1970's. It was all from the towns record library though so damage never entered my head.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new Crosley Bermuda with legs looks really classic and it will have Bluetooth.
You could go for proper vintage with a Dansette

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A left-field suggestion, but what about a bluetooth turntable, which could pair with a funky bluetooth speaker(s) and/or bluetooth headphones?
Great suggestion. There are at least some half decent BT turntables.

Every Crosley type turntable I've seen I wouldn't play any of my records on. Not even the scratched and worn ones.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You might actually be surprised. My first turntable was a Garrard SP25 mk 2 with a Shure M3D cartridge. Bonded conical stylus tracking at 5 grams!!! My original records (that I played lots and lots on that 'table) still sound great on my LP12.

Audio Technica has some fully automatic turntables (wired and wireless) with decent cartridges that will be better than any Crossley (or the like).

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What about showing your daughter pictures of Rega TT’s finished in the different colours that they sell, then refinish the one you have - possibly with a wrap. A new mat with a printed design might appeal too. You could wrap the MA speakers to update their looks as well.

If you get her involved in the design, it will feel far more hers than one of Dad’s cast offs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles