Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2015
London
AKA
pav
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
👋🏻 Tighten the screws on your speakers - a reminder to myself to do it every 6 months or so.

Long story short…

Here I was listening to an album I haven’t listened to for almost 3 years and it kind of didn’t sound right.

Half way through the song I decided to lift the pick-up (clumsy man here) and tighten all the screws on drive units and everything that looked like a screw on my speakers.

Dropped the needle back to where it was before and couldn’t believe my ears. All snapped into focus, details came out, bass cleared up and all the “boom” disappeared with sweet mids that lack “grain” - just pure music.

A reminder now set up on my phone for every 6 months. Definitely worth it - just don’t overdo it

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my case as it would be four speakers and they are all tightened to a font plate from the rear it is quite a task . So unless I notice an issue think I will leave well alone .

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Possibly a more frequent problem is poor cable connections. If the banana plugs or spades are fixed to the cable by screws, these will very often work loose and should be tightened or better, soldered. Twin screw fixings are far better than single screw ones

The plugs or spades need to make good contact into their binding posts so spades will need tightening soon after first connecting and again at intervals. Bananas come in several pin arrangements and some are much better than others. I favour the spring foil type that are "squashed" as they are insteted and maintain good connection. Other types will often need periodic attention to ensure the contact is first class and over a good proportion of the pin's surface area. Cleaning of any oxidisation of the pins may be necessary depending on the material used.

PS _ I've just taken the front panels off my 1 year old Avantgarde speakers. To my surprise a few of the 16 bolts holding the bass drivers in the right enclosure could be tightened up to a quarter turn. The 3 tweeter bolts needed very little tightening. I'll do the left speaker tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Last edited:

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I eventually got around to tightening the driver bolts on my original Meridian DSP 5200s it was like having a new speaker. The reason I left it so long was due to the difficulty in getting the speaker covers off. My newer versions still have driver covers that are difficult to remove but the bolts don’t seem to get loose, so no need to check so often.

Reactions: newlash09

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles