Time to go Hi Res...which DAC?

S

skyman

Having heard the Musical Fidelity M6 DAC playing 24 bit files via a Cirus streamer directly off a memory stick, I confess to being quite bitten by this relatively new technology. Currently considering my option as an entry into the hi res world. MF, Bryston, Naim, Shanling. Any recommendations?

Maro73

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 10, 2010
Arras, , France
AKA
EDUN
Hi

Well depends on your budget .. and your musical taste .. for under 1000 pounds I'd live happily with the Eastern Electric Dac plus , and it does have a valve output too .. sounds really nice.

I don't know if it's wise these days to spend more than 1000 quids on a DAC , because the technology is moving quite fast

Cheers

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Having heard the Musical Fidelity M6 DAC playing 24 bit files via a Cirus streamer directly off a memory stick, I confess to being quite bitten by this relatively new technology. Currently considering my option as an entry into the hi res world. MF, Bryston, Naim, Shanling. Any recommendations?
Are you sure you just aren't hearing well mastered versions of the recording? Re-mastering is often done at the same time as re-encoding.

Have a read of this http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
YBA WD202 latest version does hi rez from all connections inc USB, has remote control and headphone socket, looks good and sounds wonderful once run in for 100 hours or more.

bettered a lot more expensive dacs

S

skyman

I concur - that has been my experience as well.The Xiph content is also excellent - some great videos on there.
I hear what your saying (pardon the pun) and all the source files Ive heard have been well produced versions of the origonal track, and which makes the entire concept of going digital a somewhat contentious debate. I would therefore like to throw in the following...considering the vast amount of questionable theory regarding hi-res content, its direction, its future and its relevance as a source to equal and perhaps better and even perhaps replace source elements EG turn tables/CD players, perhaps we would be financially better off to simply put more time into sourcing well produced and engineered CD's and vinyl. It kinda makes a mockery of the whole subject when even recently produced vinyl records sound as flat as a pancake compared to others. The answer is...?....well i dont think there is one and its a forever evolving process and time will tell...maybe hif-fi is finally dead and we need to simply buy a mp3 player and a cheap set of head pohones and get the same result.

Back to the thread...I hear the NAD M51 is great value for money...and experience out there of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles