Wammer
Wammer
Jul 3, 2013
Cambridge
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone had anything to do with one of these? Thoughts?

Are there any connoisseurs of budget phono stages that could shed some light on the quality of the revolver, the rega phono 2, the cambridge stage and the creek obh8? I think I'd probably be happy with any of them, but at the minute I'm baffled by choice. :dunno:

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With your vinyl front end I think you could easily justify a better phono stage than any of these. IMV it would only be worth you buying any of those mentioned as a stop gap to summat altogether better say between £200 to £300 S/Hand. The TT/Rega arm & SAE homc cart are all pretty good.

I'd only consider any of the above S/Hand too....I reckon that for the SQ bottleneck any of these stages represent* taking the depreciation hit of buying new is not worth it. :nup: (*Can't say for the Timestep, as I haven't heard it/seen a review)

If you are wanting to seriously improve on the built in stage in your Sony integrated, holding your horses & being prepared to spend at least upwards of £150 S/Hand should bag you summat far more capable, that will be a better long term fit in your system.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the original Rega Fono.

No complaints, much better than the Cambridge. IMHO anyway.

But +1 to Vac's reply as well.

ajhunter

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 3, 2013
Cambridge
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies. I'm not really trying to improve on the sony stage; the sony's on it's way out to make room for an arcam a38/p38 set up without phono stage. However, I think you both make a good point about upgrading sooner rather than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles