Tom Sharpe R.I.P.

Humpty was pushed

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I remember hearing my dad reading "Wilt" when I was a youngster - I thought he was gonna need CPR! I read it after him, and was helpless with laughter. I read every one after that, really vicious and very very funny!

RIP. :(

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I confess that since 1979 that I have bought all of his 16 novels on papperbok/still have them/have enjoyed most of them a lot.

Was expecting him to move off soon/RIP-commis. to all of his significant others. Ta Tom - lots of fine writing in there ...

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am sure that the French ones are especially great for the European car etc journey bookie ...

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... I like particularly apart from the humour/fine writing in English references to pipe-tobacco ..

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re-reading the 11 apart from the 5 Wilt ones - amazed that I forgot how rude/competently-contrived the 1st 2 South African ones are.

Apart from literarily or publisher-unwise the habit of possessivising singular words ending in s as - s' ...

... Just clarified that Paul Sample did all my old-new/in-between papperbok cover illustrations ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete the Feet

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He often had an hilarious comic episode in his books that spiralled and had you in uncontrollable convulsive fits of laughter.
Zipsers downfall in one of the Porterhouse books and Colonel Bulstrode in the Throwback conjure up visions of comic lunacy.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

G

People always had a peek what you were reading on the train as i couldnt stop laughing ( out loud ) 

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember lying on a sunbed in Spain and my wife walked over and snatched the book off me , she was embarrassed at my laughing .  :D

Old Git

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 23, 2014
Bristol...innit
AKA
Miserable
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Being something of a twat, I've never even heard of him, and I'm crap at reading books (lazy). If there was one of his that is considered to be 'have to read', any consensus on which one?

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely worth a read. I started with 'Wilt', and then read them all in a short space of time afterwards, they are great books.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 Sensible advice to Wilt-series of 5 first ... oddly enough, continued yesterday after TS's 1st 2 with his/my next 14.  He was often a good writer

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 Fine ideas/bit over-rude/bit lacking in observations of e.g. nature/'time' ...

Having read his 1st 2 very recently again again (the south African ones...), I did his 3rd 'Porterhouse Blue' again again just before Christmas 2016.

Its successor - book 12 of 16 Sharpes - I read yesterday 'Grantchester Grind' 490 pp - again, lots of fine stuff/lacking in relevancies-nature ...

E.g. GG was published about 23 years after (televised eventually - must get vids. to re-see...) PB.

In follow-up set about ? months later, no-one smokes a pipe or 30/everyone is on internet (no mobile phones though...)/hard to fathom where 1974-1996-ish has gone in fine pt 11 of 2 about e.g. Scullion.

In 1979, a lady-friend-colleague recommended me to read all of Tom Sharpe,+ 'Story Of O' (Reage).

I bought/still have them all - Mr Sharpe did at times some fine stuff, but ...

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a plonker who was first advised in 1979 to read Tom, I have bought-read all of his since then/those published before then.

I still retain them/read the 16 all through every 5 or so years.

Not long back then re-re-reread the 5 'Wilts' = o.k. = cinema film based on the 1st.

Yesterday I finished again the other 11 (including 'Blott'-'Porterhouse' shown on TV (the 1st 'Porterhouse one anyway - TV was too dim to follow-up with 'Grantchester-Grind') - they often are great-writing/fine zany plots/usually appalling despicable mad-sex.

HE was a great imaginative/often amusing writer who got stuck in absurd overdone unnatural sexing.

Occasionally, a book of 16 fades out with no great ending ...

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Like many on this thread, I have read most of his books. All I remember from most of them, is uncontrollable laughter, and tears streaming down my face. Must find Wilt and give it a read again :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.