Question Too much woofer excursion when playing records.

A question.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all :)

I just setup my vinyl rig, with help from a friend. I broke one of the cart cables in the process. So the right channel is presently dead 😅😅. But I will solder it tomorrow.

Even with just the left speaker playing, it is sounding stunning. But since this is my first spin at vinyl, I have a few questions please :

1. The woofer is going crazy - the woofer is moving too much with the record playing, even when there is not much bass in the track. I did some research online, and I seem to have gotten the cart + tonearm compliance right, as both are medium compliance :
.cart - EMT TSD 15N - weight = 8 gms, compliance =12
Arm - Acoustic signature TA1000, effective mass = 12 gms.

I also have the TT placed on a good foundation above a still point stand. The TT is a mass loaded acoustic signature challenger mk3. And my flooring is tiles upon solid concrete. So I would like to believe that floor borne vibrations might not be the culprit here.

My phono stage is a big bottle mk3 and it does not have a rumble filter. So any advise on how I can fix it will be very helpful,as the bass excursion looks really large at times, almost as if the woofer suspension has collapsed completely.

2. Do SUT"s die with age - I got an old EMT Stx 21 Sut to go with the cart. But on wiring it up, and feeding the MM input of the phono stage, I found the sound to be too low, with a lot of hum . After removing the SUT and feeding the MC input directly on the phono stage, the sound came back alive. I opened up the SUT to find two tiny sealed transformers, and the wiring intact. There doesn't seem to be anything amiss there. But I did try for less than a minute only. So can I consider the SUT dead 😅. Thanks in advance.

zym

Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
AKA
Not at Home
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In response to the original question, if it's of interest I have a kab rf1 rumble filter sitting in a box. If you want to try & see whether it helps you'd be welcome. PM me and we can arrange.

In my case I found an easy way to measure tonearm resonance using Audacity and determined one particular cartridge combination was to blame. Hence no use for the filter.

Reactions: Andrei

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In response to the original question, if it's of interest I have a kab rf1 rumble filter sitting in a box. If you want to try & see whether it helps you'd be welcome. PM me and we can arrange.

In my case I found an easy way to measure tonearm resonance using Audacity and determined one particular cartridge combination was to blame. Hence no use for the filter.
Extremely sorry for my delayed reply sir. I revisited this thread only today. And thanks a lot for your generous offer. But sadly iam located in India. So can't take your goodselves up on your kind offer. Thanks anyway😊🙏🙏

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.