Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK perhaps i have a vested interest as i drive one, but i really don't think the Scorpio looks that bad now - given the monstrosities limping out of design studios these days i suspect that if ithad beenreleased tomorrow, no-one would bat an eyelid. And anyway, the front's OK, it's the rear end of the saloon that's the hideous bit.......................
wink.png

And i'm sorry but the Allegro is so bad it's almost good - how can anyone fail to be endeared to a car with a square steering wheel that's more aerodynamic facing backwards than forwards??
biggrin.png

Anoraky footnote/question - didn't Rover then use the square wheel on the SD1??

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Beobloke wrote:

Anoraky footnote/question - didn't Rover then use the square wheel on the SD1??
Not quite - Allegro:

ado67story_01.jpg

Early SD1:

sd1_04.jpg

:dude:

E

earl of sodbury

The Edsel is known to this day as "The Car With The Cunt at The Front" thanks to its vag-shaped rad - curious that fact was omitted...

The Allegro was a reclothed Morris 1100 - nothing more; there was no "body shape... changed to accommodate the archaic engines". Beobloke's right the SD1 used a squared-off steering wheel too, as did the Austin Ambassador...

and the Alfa Romeo "Arna" was top-to-bottom a Nissan Cherry but built in Italy with all the concommitant "advantages" that bestows on a car's durability...

26.gif.8017d59dcd366c78cba0db9463c65b0f.gif

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

The Edsel is known to this day as "The Car With The C**t at The Front" thanks to its vag-shaped rad - curious that fact was omitted...The Allegro was a reclothed Morris 1100 - nothing more; there was no "body shape... changed to accommodate the archaic engines". Beobloke's right the SD1 used a squared-off steering wheel too, as did the Austin Ambassador...

and the Alfa Romeo "Arna" was top-to-bottom a Nissan Cherry but built in Italy with all the concommitant "advantages" that bestows on a car's durability...

:rofl:I wasn't familiar with the car but just searched for a pic....and you're right.It cools itself by way of a fadge-shaped air intake. Pure motoring comedy.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

Very true - I suspect it might have worked better if they had gone for Italian styling and Japanese engineering rather than the other way round!!

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hawk wrote:

Absolutely stunning!
wink.png

In a hideous, retro, who-the-hell-thought-that-was-a-good-idea kind of way, obviously...............

E

earl of sodbury

Hawk wrote:

Ah! An Allegrot Van den Spaz in gorgeous "Chest Infection Green" - my all-time favourite ur-colour! Also available in "Roadkill Purple" and ""Chiken Tikka Vomit Orange"...

The 70's, eh? What a great decade.

Dik Dolan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
United Kingdom
I used to be a car mechanic in the 70's..........at a main British Leyland dealership. Please don't show pics like that again, I still have nightmares of fields of allegros, marinas and sd1sall mocking me.

godlau

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 9, 2006
Hong Kong, , China
AKA
Gordon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NSU Ro80 made it? hm...it's actually a very tech advanced car for its day...but someone forgot to test durablility of the wanker..oh sry, wankel engine (unlike Mazda spent hrs doing so and found graphite is the best material for the rotor tip)

My choice of worst car - in Britain at least - Austin Allegro Vanden Plas....urgh....:puke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles