Linn Owners

Trampolin 2 trouble

Redroocycle

New Wammer
Apr 17, 2020
Hi,

I've just had my Linn LP12 upgraded including a Trampolin 2 and should be enjoying my vinyl by now, however I'm having problems leveling the turntable.

I've checked the stand it's sitting on many times and the level is perfect but adjustment of the turntable level using the feet on the Trampolin is proving to be a major headache. 
icon_sad.gif

Current configuration: Kore, Karousel, Akito 3B, Lingo 4 and Naim Prefix.

Has anyone experienced the same problem, or can offer any advice?

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As far as I know, the feet on the Trampolin are not intended for use as levelling adjusters. Screwing them all in fully should make the deck level if, as you say, the stand is level.

David

• Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, and welcome to the Wam. 

I recall a recent thread suggesting not to use the Trampolin feet for levelling.  Have you tried with pieces of card or paper?  What is making it tricky - does it settle differently every time?

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Call the dealer who did the upgrades.  First (last) thing he should have done before returning it to you is make sure the turntable is level when placed on a level stand.

• Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As far as I know, the feet on the Trampolin are not intended for use as levelling adjusters. Screwing them all in fully should make the deck level if, as you say, the stand is level.

David
Welcome here @Redroocycle

I never had to fiddle with the Trampolin feet, when I took my LP12 to the dealer*, and back. If the stand is level  the LP12 is level. How /where did you measure that your's is not 'not in the water'?

My dealer is a good hour's drive away. The LP12 survives the transit (no outer-platter, no counter-weight, subchassis blocked by lifting the sub-platter slightly by styrofoam blocks) without de-adjusting itself.

Lincoln Tyke

Lincoln Tyke
Wammer
Jul 2, 2019
Lincoln
AKA
John Howson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This was the one...
Evening All

In the end I used thin layers of card under the back two legs of the IKEA table, the deck was only slightly off so it was easy enough. I suppose if a deck is miles off then a different approach might be needed?

Hop this helps

John

Redroocycle

New Wammer
Apr 17, 2020
After, 2 visits back to my dealer, we've finally gotten to the root of the problem.

The issued was caused by the one of the front Trampolin feet clashing with the onboard Naim Prefix phono stage. This issue has been (temporarily) resolved by fitting a standard base until I decide what to replace the Naim Prefix with. The Prefix is currently powered by a NAC 282.

The only other onboard phono stage I'm aware of is the Linn Urika which obviously requires a Radikal for power. I was trying to reduce the number of boxes I have, so with that and the not too insubstantial cost of the Radikal and Urika combination I'm not to sure if it's a step I'm willing to make.

Are there any other alternative available?  

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After, 2 visits back to my dealer, we've finally gotten to the root of the problem.

The issued was caused by the one of the front Trampolin feet clashing with the onboard Naim Prefix phono stage. This issue has been (temporarily) resolved by fitting a standard base until I decide what to replace the Naim Prefix with. The Prefix is currently powered by a NAC 282.

The only other onboard phono stage I'm aware of is the Linn Urika which obviously requires a Radikal for power. I was trying to reduce the number of boxes I have, so with that and the not too insubstantial cost of the Radikal and Urika combination I'm not to sure if it's a step I'm willing to make.

Are there any other alternative available?  
Do you have to go onboard? The Majik DSM, and Akurate DSM both have very capable phono stages. I'm not familiar with the Naim Prefix, so I can't comment on relative sound quality.

What does the rest of your system consist of?

I'm with you on the lowering of the box count.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I assume you mean that the Trampolin  foot is in contact with the Prefix?

One solution would be to move the four feet from the top side of the Trampolin, to the bottom. The purists won’t like it, but David Williamson has told me that he sometimes does this with the deck in R&D when internal space is tight.

It might not look as pretty, but might solve your problem.

’troll

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are going to get a Radikal, get it for it's own sake, not because of the Urika. The Radikal is probably the biggest single upgrade you can make to a Karousel-equipped LP12, but of course it comes at a price, and I fully understand the reservations about cost and box count. I'd say that the Urika only becomes a viable option when you already have the Radikal, and it may not be the best option at that.

You didn't say what cartridge you have, but it must be moving coil if you are using the Prefix. If it is a Linn cartridge, or a low output MC, I can recommend the Lejonklou Entity, which I have heard in my system. This is housed in a very small box that can be tucked out of the way at the back of a shelf and requires no user access when in use. With the Entity you would, I think, have no more boxes than you have at present, and one of the boxes could be completely out of sight. @ThomasOK will tell you that he has customers who have replaced the Urika with the Entity, notwithstanding the fact that the former costs about £1,000 more than the latter.

I take what Akamatsu says about the phono stages in the DSMs. They are perfectly competent, as you'd expect from Linn, but I think that you'd find that they are a step down from the Prefix.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online