Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have acquired some KEF B200's and T27 1231 tweeters plus some chunky looking KEF 2 way crossovers. I fancy having a go building some transmission line cabinets for these. Can anyone point me at some suitable cabinet designs on the web?

Thanks

Dave

DrBoar

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 6, 2012
HFN&RR had a design very similar to IMF 50 with a KEF B200 T27 and crossover. I would suggest damping the first half of the pipe to reduce the harmonics but keep the rest open to get the most of the fundamental ( the illustration below is more like the bigger IMF TLS 80 but the damping layout should be along the same lines

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The best KEF driver to use in as transmission line is the B139 'race track', T27 tweeters are excellent for the top end - what were u planning to use for the mid range?

The classic trio is B139 bass, B110 mids & T27 tweeters. B110 drivers are now quite expensive but equivalents available from monacor ( and falcon audio were having some remanufactured I believe). This trio works well in both transmission line & ported designs too.

For a 'simple' TL design/build have a search for the plans for Cambridge R50 ....pm me if you get stuck as I have them on pdf

DrBoar

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 6, 2012
Slavedata, there were several versions of the B200 with various characteristics most notably Qes. They will work diffrently in a given TLS.

Here are the scanned article for one of the B200 versions. SP1014 probably benefit from full damping and SP1054 will need less damping ( or rahter more of radiation resistance at the fundamental) The SP 1022 SP 1039 and SP 1063 is in the middle and there it depends...

I would leave out any damping material in the two final sections and then have a sheet of BAF to slide into the final section to find out what damping works best. Put the crossover in the base of the speaker, as inside the speaker is a terrible place for crossovers due to the enourmous soundpressures inside the box. If you start using Speakon connectors you will never go back to those other binding posts.

I would not bother with the roofing felt but rather go for 4mm selfadhesive bitumen pads as sold in stores that sell car parts, car hifi and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online