SOLD Troels Gravesen design Illuminator 4 loudspeakers

SOLD

Gordon Ewen

Wammer
Jan 6, 2017
See this link to Troels website for a full description of the speakers: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illuminator-4.htm

I completed these speakers in early 2018. You can see pictures of the construction here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/74614447@N02/albums/72157661968508368/with/39046189305/

I have measured the frequency response of the speakers and they are as expected. This is the Level 1 kit and the total kit and other parts cost £4700. I had the cabinets painted in a local car body shop. Fabulous sound – I’m selling as I now have his Loudspeaker 2 design.

I’m aware that most people have no experience of kit built speakers and will wonder how good these are. Here is my experience. After I had built these, I went to HiFi Lounge in Dunton to audition some streamers. The speakers in the listening room were Wilson Audio Yvette’s, priced at £29000. Later that day, back at home, I put on some music through the Illuminators and was immediately struck by their much better sound; better resolution, excellent soundstage and the overall tone of the speakers seemed better. I visited the Ascot HiFi Show late in 2019 and listened to speakers from PMC, Kef and others at prices up to £60k and none were better than the Illuminator.

Of course, that’s my experience and others will have different thoughts. I’m very happy to let anyone interested to audition them.

Buyer must collect from near Sandy, Beds.

Price £2600

Attachments

• Illuminator May 2022 (1 of 1).jpg
    892.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

woodywoodpecker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 5, 2006
Country Durham
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
See this link to Troels website for a full description of the speakers: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illuminator-4.htm

I completed these speakers in early 2018. You can see pictures of the construction here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/74614447@N02/albums/72157661968508368/with/39046189305/

I have measured the frequency response of the speakers and they are as expected. This is the Level 1 kit and the total kit and other parts cost £4700. I had the cabinets painted in a local car body shop. Fabulous sound – I’m selling as I now have his Loudspeaker 2 design.

I’m aware that most people have no experience of kit built speakers and will wonder how good these are. Here is my experience. After I had built these, I went to HiFi Lounge in Dunton to audition some streamers. The speakers in the listening room were Wilson Audio Yvette’s, priced at £29000. Later that day, back at home, I put on some music through the Illuminators and was immediately struck by their much better sound; better resolution, excellent soundstage and the overall tone of the speakers seemed better. I visited the Ascot HiFi Show late in 2019 and listened to speakers from PMC, Kef and others at prices up to £60k and none were better than the Illuminator.

Of course, that’s my experience and others will have different thoughts. I’m very happy to let anyone interested to audition them.

Price £2750

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Oooh nice! GLWTS

I would be interested to know how your next project goes, could you keep us posted?

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow!
Quite an achievement and statement - and from a Newbie!

Welcome to the Wam.

I own a Troels Graveson design - the much less ambitious Jantzen TQWT that perform very well (not just my opinion.)

Serious entry in the Classifieds.

Jack

Reactions: TheFlash

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
I have Troels own build-his original prototype- Illuminator 4s and I can vouch for their amazing sound. They're one of those speakers that visitors with no hifi knowledge remark on. My other speakers are JBL K2 9800s and they are comparable (but different) in SQ. The JBLs cost £32k new. My Illuminator 4s are not going anywhere! Someone will be very lucky!

Gordon Ewen

Wammer
Jan 6, 2017
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Had a couple of visits yesterday and spent some time listening to them again (rare nowadays as I have the Loudspeaker 2) and I was reminded just how good they are. In terms of sound they are, as other have suggested, a bargain, the problem for some people is the lack of a badge. Oh well, early days yet.

Last edited:

Gordon Ewen

Wammer
Jan 6, 2017
Oooh nice! GLWTS

I would be interested to know how your next project goes, could you keep us posted?
I think my days of speaker building are done. Mobility issues make it more difficult now. I did start making small tables after building speakers; lovely hardwoods and some beautiful veneers. I now have too many tables.........

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Had a couple of visits yesterday and spent some time listening to them again (rare nowadays as I have thedspeaker 2) and I was reminded just how good they are. In terms of sound they are, as other have suggested, a bargain, the problem for some people is the lack of a badge. Oh well, early days yet.
Surprised, I thought "the first person to see (or hear!) will buy".

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I think my days of speaker building are done. Mobility issues make it more difficult now. I did start making small tables after building speakers; lovely hardwoods and some beautiful veneers. I now have too many tables.........
Sorry, I assumed you were building the 2’s. What is your opinion of their sound?

I also like woodworking 👍

Gordon Ewen

Wammer
Jan 6, 2017
Sorry, I assumed you were building the 2’s. What is your opinion of their sound?

I also like woodworking 👍
The LS2 sound wonderful. They are very revealing and I am hearing things I hadn't heard before, usually bells and triangle. The soundstage is very detailed and spacious and there is a front to back depth that I hadn't heard from other speakers. The Illuminator 4's are quite punchy in the bass and I find the LS2's are what I'd describe as refined but authoritative. I've no doubt which I prefer. I see that there is a LS3 now which doesn't have the ribbon tweeter, be interesting to hear it.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Had a couple of visits yesterday and spent some time listening to them again (rare nowadays as I have thedspeaker 2) and I was reminded just how good they are. In terms of sound they are, as other have suggested, a bargain, the problem for some people is the lack of a badge. Oh well, early days yet.
Here you go:
Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 11.38.19.png

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer Plus
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Price £2600
Awesome looking speakers sir. I bet they sound very special with those TOTL drivers. All the best for the sale :)

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gordon, allow me to reassure potential buyers of your kit speaker, that they shouldnt be put off by the fact that they dont come from a High Street Retailer :-
I now have the WAD KLS9s, as well as the Jantzen TQWTs, and they had an outing in Lurch's bake off recently (May, see write up). They were really well received by all in the room and sounded very good. (Then they were passed on to Jessica_k for a trial against her PMCs.) The fit and finish of this pair were excellent and the Jantzens are just as well built.

As a secondhand buy, kit speakers are theoretically a good value as their owners havent had to fork out for the retailers' percentage, and their savings will be carried over to you, the buyer.

Moreover, often kit speakers have optional extras and upgraded components as the builder may well be trying for excellence whilst he or she is at it: the Jantzens have premium crossover components and the WADs have external xovers with Mundorf caps, for example.

Jack NSM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mazian

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles