Troels Graveson Illumina-66

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anyone have experience of Graveson's speaker designs? At the moment I'm thinking of making a pair of the Illumina-66s, but even DIY there will be no change from £1000! I don't want anything too sensitive to avoid amp noise problems. And although I love bass, acoustic and electronic, I can't play too loud. So quality not quantity. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Illumina-66.htm

Another possibility is the Jenzen SEAS CA 3 way TL design. That should rattle the windows! http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-SEAS-ER.htm

I have simplified the electronics for my wife's benefit, and the Illumina-66s have a high WAF, but I can't afford any more expensive mistakes. Like the B139 TLs!

Illumina-66-intro-2-small.jpg

These are actually slightly smaller than my current (half finished) speakers.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Leigh (Budgetblown) has one of his Seas driver based speakers IIRC, using the Seas Excell drivers.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I think that he tends to favour pretty expensive drivers and XO components, hence the price. I imagine that they are perfectly good, but for many (such as myself), the real desire for DIY is to do something with 'miracle-cheap' antique drivers!

The other thing is, you are basically bypassing the final manufacturing process in your DIYing here - there is none of the tweaking or playing about. Is that really what you want out of DIY speakers?

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Phil...oceanobsession.....is currently building a pair of the 3 way tl design , using seas drivers,

the only drawback hes not heard this actual build/speaker...........cant wait to pop over and take a listen .

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that he tends to favour pretty expensive drivers and XO components, hence the price. I imagine that they are perfectly good, but for many (such as myself), the real desire for DIY is to do something with 'miracle-cheap' antique drivers!The other thing is, you are basically bypassing the final manufacturing process in your DIYing here - there is none of the tweaking or playing about. Is that really what you want out of DIY speakers?
Yes! I've had 40 years of that. Oh, and I see you have the JBLs; I don't have anything to fall back on. These will be my only speakers, possibly (and hopefully) my LAST pair.

- - - Updated - - -

Phil...oceanobsession.....is currently building a pair of the 3 way tl design , using seas drivers,the only drawback hes not heard this actual build/speaker...........cant wait to pop over and take a listen .
Tell him to hurry up. :D

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
If I were building a last pair of speakers and they had to have WAF, I would build a pair of Lampizator P17s, but replace the top half with some cool-looking open baffles on tubes. So it would be a large open box for the bass, with the mids and treble on kinda cylinders. It'd look odd but fun, sound great and cost under £500.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I were building a last pair of speakers and they had to have WAF, I would build a pair of Lampizator P17s, but replace the top half with some cool-looking open baffles on tubes. So it would be a large open box for the bass, with the mids and treble on kinda cylinders. It'd look odd but fun, sound great and cost under £500.
How does looking odd go with WAF? And large open box?

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Well it would be kinda space age and fun. And I'd let her choose the colour and stuff!

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well it would be kinda space age and fun. And I'd let her choose the colour and stuff!
No chance. I give her a choice (of 3 if she's lucky) but that's it.

Anyway, I have no room for OBs or 15" drivers.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the look of those Dick...and an interesting build too with curved sides etc

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think phil has put some pics up... but on A O sound...... in the diy section. if that helps dick.
Thanks for that. I just hopped over and had a look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan