Tron Seven preamplifier

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heard a few Tron's in my time and just don't do it for me . I'd try a ModWright 36.5 single box.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I disagree with the premise that idht valves are inherently inferior. My strong suspicion is that they suffer less from low level microphonics, and that DHT aficionados regard microphonics as enhanced detail. I'd really like to see science behind the "DHT good, IDHTbad" crowd. Accepted that it's plain and obvious to those who care but, if so, why no plain measurements?

Well, you certainly know your valves! But I continue to find that the best DHTs are a level above indirectly heated tubes. There is just nothing that compares with a 10Y, 46, 45, 26, 01A etc. for a small signal stage. They just sound different - more clarity and better tone. Especially in filament bias which doesn't need a cathode bypass cap, and which I always use for input stages. And like you I've been through hundreds and hundreds of different valves in my builds.

You're right - we've been debating the lack of measurements forever. All kinds of theories come up. But the sound is there even if it can't be explained.

I've no idea how the Tron fares in the grand scheme of things. If you've never had a DHT small signal stage in your system - and almost nobody has since very few companies make them - it may well be very satisfying as others have said.

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heard a few Tron's in my time and just don't do it for me . I'd try a ModWright 36.5 single box.
Ignoring the DHT vs IDHT side, I've had a borrowed 36.5 here up against Papa Laz's Kondo M7, which uses 5687 valves. All respect to Dan Wright, but sorry, no contest.

lordsound

Wammer
Mar 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
tron seven pre amps tend to be fairly hard to resell [ like most hi fi these days ] the atlantic pre is pretty reasonable in the lower version. certainly worth an email to GT
Very true, it is hard to re-sell. But a gem for keeps.

Reactions: pidge22

sjs

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
Manchester
sjselectroacoustics.blogspot.com
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
After recently missing out on one of these (a GT version on eBay, my limit was £2800, it went for £2850 !), I still remain curious.

I posted ages ago talking about comparing these to the Croft 25R, though never did pursue. The Sevens rarely crop up on the used market, so there must be a reason for that.

I just wondered if any Wammer had or has had one of these and had a view, I believe there are 3 or 4 levels, ranging from a original RRP of £2500 to £10000.

Always a difficult call seeking views as they are so personal, but equally always interesting. Cheers.
If you are still looking for one, there is a Tron Seven preamp up for sale on pink fish media

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spotted that, thanks. It's well above what I'm prepared to pay however. No negative reflection on the asking price.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This preamp uses 12AU7 🤔

There are better circuits.

I'm afraid I agree. All the casework in the world won't make a 12AU7 sound like a DHT like 10Y, 112A, 26 etc. They're a level up in clarity and detail.
On several American forums I read, instead of 12AU7/ECC82 they show a marked preference for 6CG7 with internal shields & 6FQ7 without shields both with higher heater current than the 12AU7/ECC82. I have used RCA clear top 6CG7, in my pre-amp & power-amp with an external 6.3v PSU with great success. The American take on the 12BH7 is that they are too inconsistent.

I discovered recently that the 8 pin 6SN7 is electrically equivalent to 6CG7/6FQ7, I replaced them in my pre & power amp's with the 6SN7. I love them & providing your pre-amp or power-amp can cope with the doubled heater current recommended.

Last edited:

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
GT confirms this one is base level. Nothing at all wrong with that of course.
indeed . i have followed every tron seven line level pre amp being sold in past 7 years at least .

the one on pfm is 044 -247 and different to the ones mentioned below

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tron-seven-and-tron-seven-s-pre-amps.239231/#post-3948404

GT said

There are 4 versions of each model:
1. Tron Seven which was just the standard version.
2. Tron Seven Reference which a standard model but fitted with the same parts as Tron's top preamp The Syren.
3. Tron Seven Ultimate, this is basically a Reference model but with complete silver signal wiring plus a few additions.
4. Tron Seven GT, this is an Ultimate but with the GT power supply.

Note: there were major updates from 2010 where dual-mono power supplies were introduced plus a few other improvements.

The Seven range (Phono stage, Line stage, Preamplifier and DAC) was discontinued in December 2018 after being in production for 12 years. The Seven range has now replaced by the Tron Atlantic series. This new Atlantic series will be available at the beginning of May. About 600 Sevens were made, but not many were sold here in the UK. Most went to the USA, Asia and Europe.

044-157 was made in December 2008 and is basically a standard model, it was priced in 2008 at £2250
044-159 was made in December 2008 and is basically a standard model, it was priced in 2008 at £2250

I hope this helps...

Last edited:

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
indeed . i have followed every tron seven line level pre amp being sold in past 7 years at least .
Go on, have a go at a realistic price for this one ! 😉
I am potentially interested, it'd go well with my Convergence. No idea if it would better a Croft 25r.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well its tricky ian . prices for everything have gone up a lot . given it has no remote i might suggest 1500 or less ?? but depends on you really . if you really want one just buy it .

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On several American forums I read, instead of 12AU7/ECC82 they show a marked preference for 6CG7 with internal shields & 6FQ7 without shields both with higher heater current than the 12AU7/ECC82. I have used RCA clear top 6CG7, in my pre-amp & power-amp with an external 6.3v PSU with great success. The American take on the 12BH7 is that they are too inconsistent.

I discovered recently that the 8 pin 6SL7 is electrically equivalent to 6CG7/6FQ7, I replaced them in my pre & power amp's with the 6SL7. I love them & providing your pre-amp or power-amp can cope with the doubled heater current recommended.
The 6/12SN7 is closest to ECC82/12AU7 or 6GC7/6FQ7. All of those are moderate mu, low plate impedance, though the 12AU7/ECC82 is not particularly linear (which is in may people's opinion it makes a great guitar amp gain stage and a poor audio one). The 6/12SL7 is high mu and high plate impedance valve. It's a very different beast.

Reactions: John (big)

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 6/12SN7 is closest to ECC82/12AU7 or 6GC7/6FQ7. All of those are moderate mu, low plate impedance, though the 12AU7/ECC82 is not particularly linear (which is in may people's opinion it makes a great guitar amp gain stage and a poor audio one). The 6/12SL7 is high mu and high plate impedance valve. It's a very different beast.
Thanks for the correction rabski a miss type on my part I of course ment 6SN7 at a gain of 20, sod my dyslexic fingers

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the correction rabski a miss type on my part I of course meant 6SN7 at a gain of 20, sod my dyslexic fingers
Better than the 6SN7 are a pair of 6J5 types, specifically CV6 or CV1135. Very inconvenient with 2 top caps, but they do sound better. I went through months of auditioning all kinds of 6SN7 and 6J5s. The anode and grid top caps on the CV6 are the other way around than the 2C22, be warned!

Probably useless information unless you are a bit fanatical, but the Head-Fi guys use the CV6 in socket converters. They try all kinds of tubes. I used the CV6/CV1135 as drivers before I went all-DHT.

The 6SN7 remains a good choice for an indirectly heated valve.

Reactions: John (big)

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
GT confirms this one is base level. Nothing at all wrong with that of course.
I would wonder if it is any better than the preamp in your Leben?

Also curious why more are not sold in the UK and they are for export markets. Am not suggesting anything at all but one would think that a hole market would have an advantage on value for money.

Graham is based north of Heathrow. There is a great pub restaurant nearby called The Swan (I think)

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would wonder if it is any better than the preamp in your Leben?

Also curious why more are not sold in the UK and they are for export markets. Am not suggesting anything at all but one would think that a hole market would have an advantage on value for money.

Graham is based north of Heathrow. There is a great pub restaurant nearby called The Swan (I think)
We're more likely into different not better. Plus GT has further confirmed this is a reduced spec to match a reduced purchase price. Not saying it's not worth the asking but aways worth doing your research.

Reactions: DomT

pidge22

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
Newark Notts
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Tron seven GT Linstage is probably the best addition I have ever made to my system & I have made a few ! & eventually I want to get my Phono Stage upgraded to GT spec from Ultimate as well....this is my forth Tron seven unit... love Grahams stuff and his attention to detail, my goal is one day to comepletely go away from Linn & have a full Tron system... a Furutech Copper C mains cable arrives tomorrow to replace the kettle lead that came with it & can't wait to hear what it sound like with that....

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Tron seven GT Linstage is probably the best addition I have ever made to my system & I have made a few ! & eventually I want to get my Phono Stage upgraded to GT spec from Ultimate as well....this is my forth Tron seven unit... love Grahams stuff and his attention to detail, my goal is one day to comepletely go away from Linn & have a full Tron system... a Furutech Copper C mains cable arrives tomorrow to replace the kettle lead that came with it & can't wait to hear what it sound like with that....
Would you go Convergence for the power amp or higher up the chain ? Both are great I'm sure, but one costs a bit less 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online