Linn Owners

Trying to go Aktiv

Alister M

Wammer
Apr 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to Know! If you need more bass then you can try linking the bottom two bass terminals on the back of the Keilidh's as your LK85 will cope with the 4 ohm load. I run mine that way and find you get extra bass slam as well and no need for another amp!

Reactions: RicieB

RicieB

Wammer
Jan 1, 2023
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks I'm doing this, is it a good idea to get another lk and set up my old Katans as back speakers?

RicieB

Wammer
Jan 1, 2023
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to Know! If you need more bass then you can try linking the bottom two bass terminals on the back of the Keilidh's as your LK85 will cope with the 4 ohm load. I run mine that way and find you get extra bass slam as well and no need for another amp!
Hi Alister

Is it a good idea to upgrade the Keilidh's tweeters with tweeters from Katans? Are they just the same as Ninkas tweeters?

Thanks

Alister M

Wammer
Apr 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know Im afraid. Someone else may know or a an email to the linn helpline should give the answer.

RicieB

Wammer
Jan 1, 2023
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know Im afraid. Someone else may know or a an email to the linn helpline should give the answer.
Hi Linn replied and my particular Keilidhs are old and had the mesh tweeters that can be improved by swapping the Katans bar tweeters. But they reckon heat from the soldier can damage the voice coil and I'd be better switching to silver interconnect. However this costs to much so I'll probably switch to tweeters someday.

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi Linn replied and my particular Keilidhs are old and had the mesh tweeters that can be improved by swapping the Katans bar tweeters. But they reckon heat from the soldier can damage the voice coil and I'd be better switching to silver interconnect. However this costs to much so I'll probably switch to tweeters someday.
Can’t comment on your budget, but Linn Silver can be found second hand around €130,- at the various sites. I found it a big upgrade vs the Linn Black.

RicieB

Wammer
Jan 1, 2023
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can’t comment on your budget, but Linn Silver can be found second hand around €130,- at the various sites. I found it a big upgrade vs the Linn Black.
Thanks the cheapest I've found lately is about £140, can you recommend a site for it?

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I managed to get a length of it uncut and without plugs. Do you know of any good RCA plugs around?
Commen opinion around here is that you are best off with factory orginal soldered plug and that the quality of soldering is essential. Could not tell you the exact brand, maybe Neutrik but not to sure about it.

RicieB

Wammer
Jan 1, 2023
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi I switched the tweeters after suggesting to Linn that I used spade terminals that crimp to the wire thus avoiding heat from solder, as they reckoned this could damage the voice coils. They replied saying the spade terminals would work and be as good as soldering.

So far appears to be a sonic improvement, but I can't test property yet as the children are in bed.

RicieB

Wammer
Jan 1, 2023
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pay no attention to all that pseudoscience. I recently soldered up some speaker cables with excellent results. Solder joints don’t have a “musical signature.” Please proceed with confidence.
Thanks it's funny how something like that can really make you doubt reality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles