TT Platter

auralflea

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 12, 2006
Black Country
AKA
Kevin
Right. Some of you will recall I acquired a Systemdek TT a little while ago. This came fitted with an acrylic platter with only nominal clearance on the centre post.

After this has gnawed away at me for some time now, I have decided that I needed to obtain a glass platter to A/B on my 'dek. And to see what difference more central clearance might make. The other thing is, I have never quite adjusted to the idea of no mat, particularly as I don't switch off to change vinyl
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

Having given up on finding one of these (particularly after I forgot the end time of an auction for an entire Systemdek IIX which went for about £20
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
) I decided to speculate - net result is I now have a Rega glass platter purchased cheaply on fleabay.

Now for the not quite so good news
sad.png
. The centre hole is way too big
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif
:wall:
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif
:wall:

Spindle diameter (rough measurement) 8mm

Platter hole (rough measure again) 19mm

Now, I could be psychotic and try to play as is
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif
[Visions of Dementia perhaps]

Alternatively and more sensibly, I could try to 'pack' the hole to size. I thought of some sort of rubber/ PVC grommet fitted into the hole (although no idea whether this is anywhere near a "regular" size to allow this.

So, I throw myself at your mercy..........ANY suggestions (vaguely sensible would help of course). The flip side is I don't really want to spend tooo much as this is more by way of an experiment than anything else

Thanks folks

Kevin

S

sq225917

simple,does the bearing have a ball in it?

will it take a bigger one? any increase in size will raise the platter by same amount.

i run a 6.2mm in my rega vs the 3/16th (4.2ish mm) that comes as standard.

might work.

no reason why not to try it.

wobbleu

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2007
Sheffield
AKA
Chris
I've experienced a similar situation - the other war round.

Got a SystemdekIIX 900 with a glass platter, and a Rega Perspex one left over after getting rid of the deck.

I cut a circular section out of a big pencil eraser ( the clear/plasticy kind) - fitted it inside the hole on the perspex platter - marked the center and then drilled the right size hole (the IIX 900 has a standard spindle without the o-ring which makes the job a bit easier).

Platter now fits fine - is a little thicker than the glass, so vta is different, and obviously lighter - so less flywheel effect.

End result - sounds slightly different - but better? can't make my mind up. Would like to try the Audio Note platter - but more important things for the cash presently.

Oh Well! it's all good tweaking experience

cheers Chris

wobbleu

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2007
Sheffield
AKA
Chris
Hiya

You just need a tight fitting bush with an 8mm hole in it made up, i can knock you up one out of delrin f.o.c
Can I be cheeky - and ask you to make one for me - bound to be better than my 'bit of pencil rubber'. I'd be happy to re-imburse you...

Chris

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
wobbleu wrote:

Hiya
You just need a tight fitting bush with an 8mm hole in it made up, i can knock you up one out of delrin f.o.c
Can I be cheeky - and ask you to make one for me - bound to be better than my 'bit of pencil rubber'. I'd be happy to re-imburse you...

Chris
Hi chris, no problem, just pm me with the details, it wont be for a few days as i am waiting on parts for the clutch on my lathe.

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
wobbleu wrote:

Brilliant - will pm you the details over the weekend.Ta! C
I`m doing one for aural flee so doing a second is no problem, your spindle is probably 7.2 -7.5 mm dia, and the hole in the platter will prolly be 18mm and as i have acrylic platters with the same hole i can get a good tight fit, but do check the dia as well as you are able, if its a glass platter, then delrin will be a good material to use as it will give some decoupling between the glass and metal spindle.

This is an adapter i knocked up so i could add a second 20mm acrylic platter.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
Its good you got a solution, but have to say whoever the fleabay seller was a cheeky so and so. If that platter had a 19mm hole in it, then it was missing the insert in the middle that it should have come with in the first place.

auralflea

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 12, 2006
Black Country
AKA
Kevin
Uncle Ants wrote:

Its good you got a solution, but have to say whoever the fleabay seller was a cheeky so and so. If that platter had a 19mm hole in it, then it was missing the insert in the middle that it should have come with in the first place.
Live and learn
sad.png
. Would have been useful, that's for sure. Luckily I have met a few tent-dwellers where there always seems to be someone available to lend a hand
biggrin.png

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
wobbleu wrote:

Brilliant - will pm you the details over the weekend.Ta! C
Well aural flees turned up this morning and he said it fits like a glove, so wondering if yours came yet? i posted them together.

I get a kick out of helping get T/T`s back in use so let me know how it worked out.
wink.png

wobbleu

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2007
Sheffield
AKA
Chris
Not arrived yet - but then we don't seem to get any post on tuesdays around here.

Will look forward to receiving it today, and testing it tonight.

cheers C

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles