Tube rolling suggestions for Pathos amp

banjoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2012
SW London
AKA
Deba
Just got hold of a Pathos Logos amp from a very nice wammer.

Its a hybrid amp and I believe the pre amp section has 2 Sovtek E88CC / 6922 valves.

Want to try some different valves - hoping to get a bit more fullness/warmth and bigger bass.

Any suggestions for what to try? NOS Tesla E88CC valves seem pretty cheap while Mullards are quite pricey.

banjoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2012
SW London
AKA
Deba
Thanks Alan. Assume you meant the Siemens E88CC valves?

Unfortunately, going by eBay prices, they seem to be pretty pricey as well - similar to Mullards or more

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tried a variety in mine and it barely made any noticeable difference. The Classic was the same. Save your money and buy some music.

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Alan. Assume you meant the Siemens E88CC valves ...
Not necessarily. Unusually, for 88s the P-series and the E-series have similar heater voltages. Depending on the manufacturer the Ps are spec'd for a slightly higher voltage. So if you drop them into an amp designed for Es then they will run a bit below par. Some folks feel that this works well.

VB

banjoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2012
SW London
AKA
Deba
Tried a variety in mine and it barely made any noticeable difference. The Classic was the same. Save your money and buy some music.
Thanks for the heads up. Thing is - the amp is a bit old and I probably need to change the tubes very soon anyway. So, wondering what would be the best replacement

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm with Nick on this. I think it's possible to get some minor improvements (or changes) but the Logos seems fine with the Sovteks and I don't think you will get any massive changes which would justify any significant spending on tubes either. So saying a month or so back one of my Sovtek's went pop, fortunately I had a spare set (which I seem to remember I got from Nick :) ). I'd always thought having a spare set around was a good idea so replaced my spares with these http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=3185

As it happens these newly bought Electro Harmonix I do think produce something slightly different to the Sovteks - which I do prefer. The Sovteks are back as the spare set. There isn't a massive immediate perceptive difference but after a few days I definitely think there is increased detail and a better soundstage. It isn't night and day but I found it an an appreciable small worthwhile improvement.

What I would recommend is that you should invest in a new set of tubes anyway (unless the previous owner has just changed them ?). With a new set you at least know that any performance reduction in the tubes over the amps previous life has been eradicated.

Congrats on joining the Pathos Logos owners club :^ It's a great amp, I absolutely love mine and wouldn't part with it.

AlanB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2007
West Midlands
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Alan. Assume you meant the Siemens E88CC valves?Unfortunately, going by eBay prices, they seem to be pretty pricey as well - similar to Mullards or more
No I did mean PCC88. I prefer them to the more expensive E88CC.

The JAN Philips 6922's are also good value for money.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
As already stated,not much,maybe a bit more bottom end,but hard to notice,I have quite a few spare types if you want to try some.

Thanks Graham.Did you find any difference with these compared to the stock Sovtek tubes?

banjoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2012
SW London
AKA
Deba
Thanks Graham. Ordered a pair of Teslas (dirt cheap) to start with and might well take you up on your offer to borrow some of your spares to try

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online