Turntable, a time to change?

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Morning all.

My Townshend Avalon needs a bit of fettling, probably not much, the motor circuit board has a couple of poor connections so the motor sometimes won't go at the correct speed. With a bit of manual assistance it can be persuaded so I think the motor is okay. It will go away to be looked at but in the meantime, do I just get it fixed and carry on or take this as an opportunity to make improvements or even move it on and get something new?

I've had this deck from new, it sounds really good (but I haven't heard anything else for decades) and I think still looks good. It has an Alphason Opal arm and a ATF5 cartridge. It has only been back to Townshend twice in 35 years so I think I've had my moneys worth! So, I thought the repair would likely be around £100 and I can just stick as is and carry on. Or, I was thinking about a decent power supply for another £500 or so. Or, replace, but then what with and at what cost? I have been buying more vinyl but then I don't get to listen that often.

Is upgrading a basic deck worthwhile? Looking at secondhand, I reckon I'd need to spend £2k for something better but then how reliable will it be? New, I like the look of the Nottingham Analogue decks but with a new arm and cartridge it's looking more like £3k+.

Money in theory is not an issue in the above scenarios but I'm generally reluctant to part with it!

Any advice appreciated but I'm not ditching vinyl for streaming!!

Cheers :)

Reactions: Phil48 and deggie

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could always look at something like.....perhaps an Acoustic Solid Wood turntable with RB250 arm which follows the heavy platter non-suspended NAS ethos. I might know where to get hold of one in your budget too....

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say your Avalon is the equivalent of most £1k - £1400 current production decks. As another option to sending it for a board repair, then getting a controller, put the repair funds towards an Origin Live motor and controller kit. Once done look at adding an OL cartridge enabler (£25) and upgrading the cart as your arm can support a far better one. An AT OC9xML would be a definite step up from the ATF5, if your PS can give a 400+ Ohm loading then a Hana SL would lift things even further.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder at some of the replies in here - second hand people expect to get a grand for an Avalon and it is a superb turntable.
If i was in your shoes I would get it refurbished and enjoy it ..
Personal view is changing the motor for the heath robinsion Origin Live would yield such a small change as to be a wasted expense. My reasoning is as follows.
My Systemdek IV had electronic speed change and the circuit board failed. I stuck in a stock resistor capacitor power supply to keep it turning at 33 1/3 and buggered if I could hear a difference. I then acquired a Project Speedbox Strobo which gives me electronic speed change (and fine tuning with a strobe disc) and sat back .. and no change in sound quality (just the convenience of being able to play 45s which i had to do for my lad).
Personal view is you will have to spend a good £3k or more to get a turntable to equal it .. if you love it just get it repaired and enjoy it

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say your Avalon is the equivalent of most £1k - £1400 current production decks. As another option to sending it for a board repair, then getting a controller, put the repair funds towards an Origin Live motor and controller kit. Once done look at adding an OL cartridge enabler (£25) and upgrading the cart as your arm can support a far better one. An AT OC9xML would be a definite step up from the ATF5, if your PS can give a 400+ Ohm loading then a Hana SL would lift things even further.
The motor upgrade is a brilliant suggestion, thanks very much! They have quite a few different options but I think a basic or the first PS upgrade looks about right. Slight complication with my deck as they recommend positioning the motor outboard due to the small diameter pulley. I may make contact with them to see what they suggest.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get it fixed to the manufacturers spec. Enjoy it for another 35 years or…..

Get it fixed and compare to some other decks. Townshend decks were not cheap in their day and there were alternatives that were as good if not better at a lower price so today, it could be improved on at a lower price than some may suggest. I know @myles deck he mentions above is a corker but it’s your decision and only yours to make a change.
It will cost you nothing to look and hear alternatives rather than spend extra on an already decent deck.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder at some of the replies in here - second hand people expect to get a grand for an Avalon and it is a superb turntable.
If i was in your shoes I would get it refurbished and enjoy it ..
Personal view is changing the motor for the heath robinsion Origin Live would yield such a small change as to be a wasted expense.
Heath Robinson is a good description of the fitting kit that comes with the OL motor. Just had a google and seen some rather uncomplimentary comments regarding the kit: reliability, constant adjustments needed and the quality of the motor.

Thanks everyone so far for the comments, very useful. I think I'll get it to my repairer who also does bespoke upgrades and see what they suggest. It's a good old deck but I don't want to go too mad. Having said that, I think it's time to treat it or replace it. As much as I fancy trying something different, I think there's some mileage in the Avalon yet. Last time I had it in for fettling I asked Max Townshend what he'd suggest and he said no1 to do was isolation, then PS and finally rewire the arm. I suppose he should know!

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As others have said, get the motor sorted to the best spec, upgrade your cartridge and possibly your phonostage, although you don't say what you are using at the moment.
Phonostage is the one built in to my Linn amp.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As others have said, get the motor sorted to the best spec, upgrade your cartridge and possibly your phonostage, although you don't say what you are using at the moment.
I must admit adding a seperate phonostage had slipped my mind. I do like to keep the box count down though and what with the possibility of a seperate PS too, my poor little Target rack will collapse! Seriously though, it's a very good point and something else to consider, thanks :)

Reactions: antonio66

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess it depends on how attached to it you are. I have great regard for all Max's products, particularly turntables, I had a Rock Elite which was I believe a little better than the Avalon, in fact I even designed & build my own deck using the trough & outrigger. Neither are as good as the original Cranfield Rock though, which although thin on the ground can be had for around £1k to £1.2k without arm & still show a lot of more modern decks how it should be done. Your 'arm would be good enough to go on it as well, although even better would be an Alphason H100.

By the way, I have a Notts Analog Ace Spacedeck & I love it, buy wisely & deck & 'arm can be had for more like £2k depending on how far you want to go.

Reactions: DomT and Carrington

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How much you invest in vinyl reply (no matter how you do it) should perhaps be linked to how much you are going to use your deck. You mention in your original post that don't get to listen that often. Spending £2000 - £3000 on something you are not going to use too much might need further thought? If it was me and my listening habits were not going to change too much, I would go for the manufacturers refurb of the motor etc. that you mentioned. You could also get the benefit of a better cart which your current arm could definitely handle. Finally, if you can get used to the idea of a separate phono stage then an upgrade over the internal stage present in your 'mature' Linn pre-amp can be had for a very reasonable amount (especially 2nd hand). But only once you have restored the deck and upgraded your cart ............ (y)

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks again everyone, some extremely useful and encouraging comments :)

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My 10p worth?

Keep the turntable. If possible (I don't know the motor type) add an external power supply. If you want to spend a bit, go for a tonearm upgrade. If not, at least replace the arm cable and preferably rewire it or get it rewired internally. Then go spendy on a cartridge.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a chat with the very helpful Deco Audio in Aylesbury who are happy to repair and assess it for the best way to make improvements. Sounds like it'll probably be next year though before I get it back.

Reactions: uzzy

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a chat with the very helpful Deco Audio in Aylesbury who are happy to repair and assess it for the best way to make improvements. Sounds like it'll probably be next year though before I get it back.
They really know their stuff and James has done a lot of work for me. You are in good hands. Peter also really know turntables.

Reactions: Carrington

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles