Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2013
Wigan/Warrington
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been given a nice Manticore Mantra Electronic, RB250, Ortofon MC10 super. which should be a great upgrade over my Systemdek IIX with AT110e.

As the new deck has a High Output MC I'm a bit stuck as to what I need to buy to get the best out of it on a budget. My amp only has a MM input although it's actually not bad, so should I go straight for an amp swap, with a MC input or go for a phono stage? Budget of 200 which could be added to with amp/Systemdek sale.. Thoughts?

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Try it and see if it works into the MM input. If not a cheap low ratio step up is probably all that will be required. I have a 1 to 23? that you can borrow to try if you need it and am in Warrington too. Just PM me. If cart works into the amp then try swapping the arm and cart onto the Systemdek. I used to have one and it is very capable.

DJAlex

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2013
Wigan/Warrington
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks. Is the IIX superior? I know that I would need a new arm board to fit the Rega, and I'm not sure you can even buy them anymore?? Alternative I also have an Denon 3803 av amp which I could in theory use, it has an MM input or I could get a phono stage. Meaning I could potentially go for the option of upgrading my speakers..hmm

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the MC10 was a low output MC? If it sounds quiet (like very quiet) into the MM it is a MC cart. A simple step-up is all you need.http://www.ortofon.com/products/historical-products/mc10-super
Cheers for the link, yes that's it. It sounded good last time I heard it..

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Manticore should be a step up from the Systemdek. What arm do you have on the Systemdek? The RB250 is an OK arm, if you want to spend cash on it then the world is your oyster. I would re-cable it in the longer term.

DJAlex

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2013
Wigan/Warrington
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try it and see if it works into the MM input. If not a cheap low ratio step up is probably all that will be required. I have a 1 to 23? that you can borrow to try if you need it and am in Warrington too. Just PM me. If cart works into the amp then try swapping the arm and cart onto the Systemdek. I used to have one and it is very capable.
Cheers that's great..

- - - Updated - - -

The Manticore should be a step up from the Systemdek. What arm do you have on the Systemdek? The RB250 is an OK arm, if you want to spend cash on it then the world is your oyster. I would re-cable it in the longer term.
Yeah, there are some nice upgrade options with the Rega.The IIX arm is the Systemdek Jelco one..

Bertiebee

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2008
Midlands
AKA
Iain
MC10 output is 0.3mv so step up likely to be required for MM input.

I'd agree, if you try the 2 TT's side by side then the Manticore should be a step up, but I'd be intrigued to try the MC10 on the Systemdek with Jelco arm (just swap the cartridge) and let your ears confirm the decision.

kabayiri

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2013
Stockport
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got a Rotel phono stage (RQ970BX) spare which is out on loan with a friend. If I chase him up after Chrimbo about it you can borrow it.

I thought it worked well with Ortofon carts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr