Turntable help

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Hi,

Need some help. Just hooked up my spare Dynavector DV10X5 to the VPI.

When I turn everything on, a loud hum comes from the L channel even before putting on an LP. And when I touch the arm, the hum gets louder. When I play the vinyl no sound comes from it, only the hum. The R speaker is working normally.

I've rechecked my connections and they all seem fine.

Can't help but thinking I'm missing something here...

JJ

G

I seem to recall Adam having bother with his VPI when he took delivery of it, it may be worth a PM to him, something to do with the arm wiring.

2nd thing, you have probably checked but have you plugged another source into the input on the amp to elimanate the amp?

Falling either of the two above it may be an earthing problem with your phono stage or the cart or a wiring problem, all of which I don't have a clue about so I won't comment. Hope you get it sorted though mate.

Dave

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
CD works fine... yeah, hoping Adam will be along to give his experience. I suspect it's either the arm or the cart. Don't have another spare cart lying around though...

JJ

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had that with loose cartridge tags, reseated them and it was OK. Check the connections from arm to cartridge.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi JJ, is this the first cart you've tried since your 'accident' with the Lyra?

As there is only one earth connection and not a left and right channel it can't be that because the hum is only on the left channel. If it was a bad earth you would get a hum on both channels. Also if the cart was incompatible the hum would be on both channels. Sounds like a cartridge tags or wiring fault or even a damaged stylus tip. Are the tags wired out of phase? You may have damaged the delicate wiring inside the arm when you banged the Lyra.

I would PM Uncle Ants from Needles and Spins.

A

adam

JJ,was it working before?It will be the cart.I had a problem with the first arm I had on my VPI,as I had what you describe,the arm was sent back,confirmed that it was wired out of fase,new arm was tested and sent,placed cart on it,same thingmso it was the cart dead in one channel,I was meant to send it off to the Expert stylus co,but with the new buisness haven't had time.

Just reconnect your old cart,even though it's not working,just to see if there is any hum,I guess not.

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
turnitup! wrote:

Hi JJ, is this the first cart you've tried since your 'accident' with the Lyra?As there is only one earth connection and not a left and right channel it can't be that because the hum is only on the left channel. If it was a bad earth you would get a hum on both channels. Also if the cart was incompatible the hum would be on both channels. Sounds like a cartridge tags or wiring fault or even a damaged stylus tip. Are the tags wired out of phase? You may have damaged the delicate wiring inside the arm when you banged the Lyra.

I would PM Uncle Ants from Needles and Spins.
Unlikely to have damaged the internal wiring (I hope) as it was just a gently knock. I realise now I might have pushed one of the connectors (the blue one) too much inwards when installing the cart. There was a soft click audible when I did that. So it could be that the cart is dead... but again, this would be unbelievable...

Thanks for all your help guys.

JJ

A

adam

I definatey think it's the cart,try swapping the cables over to be sure 100%.You've somehow knocked the inside of the cart,the stylus tip can be perfect,but if the inside of the cart is damaged you get the hum in the arm,and no sound in one channel,the vpi cables are delicate though.Exspensive carts are a pita,mines wasknocked on the floor by my cat,it had itsguard shield on,stylus was perfect,but lost it sound in one chanel,was not happy!!

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
adam wrote:

I definatey think it's the cart,try swapping the cables over to be sure 100%.You've somehow knocked the inside of the cart,the stylus tip can be perfect,but if the inside of the cart is damaged you get the hum in the arm,and no sound in one channel,the vpi cables are delicate though.Exspensive carts are a pita,mines wasknocked on the floor by my cat,it had itsguard shield on,stylus was perfect,but lost it sound in one chanel,was not happy!!
Brilliant idea...

The sound is now coming from the R side...

Another cartridge bites the dust
shitsfan.gif.cd1d9f23de26db569aa7ef6be1db61f8.gif

At least everything else is ok... :raoflmfao:

JJ

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bad luck again JJ. Time to hit the credit card?

I had a problem with my Ortofon on my old Dual 505. It kept humming on the right channel and I had to keep pressing the tags to stop it. It would be fine for a few minutes and then would start buzzing again after I'd turned the volume up. I thought it was the tiny screw on top of the headshell that wasn't adjusted properly so check your headshell bolts are really tight.

Have you decided what to replace the Lyra with?

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
'Nothing' is the best option it would seem now...
redcard.gif.e4bb2bc3520876c1792f9a324afcd589.gif

I alleviated my audio nervosa by buying some mains cable instead... seriously. Have to move again in a few months anyways. So maybe after that...
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

JJ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorothPike