Turntable isolation

flaxton

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2009
barry vale of glamor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good afternoon. I have a sound organisation rack. My rega p6 sits on an Aticarma platform with polypods underneath it. Would I benefit from changing the pods to something different. Thanks.

purpleaardvark

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2009
Esher, , United King
AKA
Raj
I’ve had very positive results with my Origin Live Sovereign live and its off board motor resting on Black ravioli single block big feet but have recently swapped out the six individual feet for a single black ravioli 3 ply laminated sheet that was on special offer a good while back at MCRUS due to more box swapping!!

I had bought a wall mounted turntable shelf but I wasn’t convinced that it would take the weight of my 32kg turntable but it did wonders for my cd player. If your turntable doesn’t weigh so much or you’re confident in your own diy abilities i think that a dedicated shelf would be a pretty good place for a turntable.

JustinTime

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jan 18, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed. Wall shelf best in most situations. If it needs to stay on the rack, the differences/improvements from replacing the pods are going to be subtle at best. Subtle might be worth having of course but you'll need to hear it/them for yourself as everyone's system is different.

flaxton

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2009
barry vale of glamor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed. Wall shelf best in most situations. If it needs to stay on the rack, the differences/improvements from replacing the pods are going to be subtle at best. Subtle might be worth having of course but you'll need to hear it/them for yourself as everyone's system is different.
Thanks. Good advice.

Reactions: JustinTime

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will built in shelving isolate as well as wallmounting?
Depends on the construction. The idea is that the shelf works as a vibration sink, as much as isolation. It 'drains' airborne vibration as well as isolating from floor borne interference. The ideal is a solid shelf, fixed to a solid wall. Basically, the 'solider' the better. Built-in shelving may be good, but if the shelves are relatively large, they may well have some movement in terms of picking up vibration.

As always, the room, floor and walls will matter. A robust heavy rack on a solid (concrete, e.g.) floor is likely to be better than a shelf fixed to a non-structural wall, as the latter is likely to vibrate more than the floor.

Assuming you've got the shelving, then the simple answer is to try.

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
Really need to investigate whether it's airborne or structural vibrations you are combating.
For example is your turntable upset when you walk passed or is it next to or on the same unit as a speaker.
The use of a wall shelf on a typical modern house with timber internal walls will not necessarily cure an issue.
Investigating resiteing equipment often has good results as will strengthening floors for example to remove movement.
Also look at how your equipment is arranged,and investigate whether changes from spikes (coupling) to a more pliant (de coupling) is beneficial.
It's not just a case of bolting a shelf to the wall as in my case for example,i have solid concrete floors ☑️but cinder internal walls which transmit vibrations:(

So i have installed de coupling feet on the speakers and a rack system that's designed to not store vibrations,with extra isolation where it was felt necessary.

It will depend on how possibly invasive into how the space your hifi is sited as to ultimately how successful you'll be. For the record i moved hose to have a better space for my hifi🫢

Reactions: Iceman 16

flaxton

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2009
barry vale of glamor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I placed the bamboo board on top of the Atakarma platform. The sound is definitely better. Wondering if I should put another board on top or would that be overkill.

karma67

Wammer
Feb 16, 2019
brighton
AKA
jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
buy a block of newplast plasticine,cut it into strips and put the strips between 2 boards of your chioce,you will then have one of the best bang for buck tt upgrades you can buy.
newplast has nearly the same damping properties as panzerholz.
here's mine on my target rack,i got blue for a nice contrast.

ezojIKr.jpg

Reactions: Nuff and sihvis

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I mentioned wall bracket to the boss and the 'look; I got in return was frightening, so it may be bamboo boards and ball earrings to play with, or coloured plasticine, all good fun isn't it.

• Wow
Reactions: I.D.S.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends on the construction. The idea is that the shelf works as a vibration sink, as much as isolation. It 'drains' airborne vibration as well as isolating from floor borne interference. The ideal is a solid shelf, fixed to a solid wall. Basically, the 'solider' the better. Built-in shelving may be good, but if the shelves are relatively large, they may well have some movement in terms of picking up vibration.

As always, the room, floor and walls will matter. A robust heavy rack on a solid (concrete, e.g.) floor is likely to be better than a shelf fixed to a non-structural wall, as the latter is likely to vibrate more than the floor.

Assuming you've got the shelving, then the simple answer is to try.
Around 1978 I literally wedged a large thick paving stone into an alcove between our large solid brick built fireplace containing the chimneys from 2 flats below & the brick outer wall, I had using 3" Raw Screws fitted 3/4" square aluminium to the walls for it to sit on then drove in wooden wedges, I then covered it with black Formica using a thixotropic adhesive, then a sheet of 8 mm glass sitting on top.

This was to take my modified Transcriptor made Michell badged Hydraulic Reference turntable which is unsprung & has 3 round adjustable feet I removed the horrible foam foot pads & fitted Oak Cone feet.
Immediately the sound changed for the better; although I now use OTA Quad 57's, at that time I had a powerful quadraphonic set up using 4 big KLH model 5 speakers, the right one close to the turntable about 18" as is one Quad 57 now.

There was/is no discernable feedback with the lid up or down I believe as rabski said that vibration is tracked away into the walls, quite a large mass, well that was my intention anyway & it worked/works

Reactions: Ady and rabski

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
buy a block of newplast plasticine,
newplast has nearly the same damping properties as panzerholz.
here's mine on my target rack,i got blue for a nice contrast.

ezojIKr.jpg

Don't you mean MY target rack 😛😂😂
I will get round to sending you the bill sometime. 😜

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online