FizzyPickles

Wammer
Feb 20, 2022
AKA
Lance
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Resonance and mass/weight.
What exactly must the perfect platter be?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Suitable for the design it’s fitted to! That’s all.

There’s no absolutes here. Some designs are heavy with mass at the circumference. That adds to the flywheel effect, ensuring speed stability. But the downside is there’s more mass to accelerate, hence demanding more of the motor. And more powerful motors may generate more noise or vibration - which we don’t want!

So it’s all a compromise. There’s therefore no such thing as a perfect platter.

(Car analogy - there no such thing as the perfect size for the road wheels, or the engine capacity. They are trade-offs and compromises, that’s all. Hence the variety of cars and turntables you see).

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an LP12 with a black felt mat. I have a suspicion that the mat encourages static. Am I right, and is there an alternative mat that doesn't have that disadvantage?
I had several mats for my Linn but the best was the achromat by funk firm ..cork can be a good alternative and much cheaper

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an LP12 with a black felt mat. I have a suspicion that the mat encourages static. Am I right, and is there an alternative mat that doesn't have that disadvantage?
Changing the mat to another type will alter the sound of the lp12. IME The best way to remove static from records is to clean them with an ultrasonic RCM.
Cheers Ady

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Resonance and mass/weight.

So many factors here but the design principle thats works for me is a platter that dissipates vibration downwards and not back up though the arm . Coupled with motor that can handle a heavy platter .

Reactions: greybeard

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How would it change if I got the achromat (which other people seem to rate)?
Hi Phil,
I only have experience of two platter mats, the original Linn black felt one and the red Collaro felt one. I would say that the Collaro gives a slightly brighter sound with a tad more detail than the Linn. For the last few months I have been using the Linn . The differences are small and as with most things hi-fi the only way to find out is to actually try the product on your own turntable and hear for yourself. I have never tried the Achromat so can't comment. I appreciate that some mats can be expensive, maybe you could borrow one? I'd lend you my Collaro depending on where you are.
Cheers Ady

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's very much trial and error certain mat mat materials work better combined with different platter materials.

Mats that work well on glass or acrylic platters might not work so well with alloy or ceramic platers and vicaversa something to be mindful of when reading reviews.

Reactions: Ady

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a ringmat anniversary that I used on my roksan 20 plus which made a big positive improvement , I am now running an SME15 so no longer need it if anyone is interested it is 3 months old is in its sleeve in A1 condition £45 including uk postage rrp is £79 these work well on an lp12 and Roksan Xerxes. but no good on a Michell or sme or avid turntable no good on any turntable that uses a clamp down method as standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigrod

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
After messing with mats on the LP12 ended up at square 1 with felt,as all the others altered the sound and not necessarily in a good way. Found the use of a Zerostat gun was more beneficial and have more than one mat.

Reactions: bigrod

Mike_H

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 24, 2022
Bedfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of the static I had was generated by the wire getting trapped in the tonearm. This increased the anti-skate effect as it moved towards the centre of the record. Fixing that helped along with replacing the felt mat with a cork/rubber mix (glass plinth)

Reactions: FizzyPickles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.