Turntable upgrade advice needed.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
18,124
200
108
Midlands
AKA
John
Hi, I am currently using a Pink Triangle, Little Pink Thing, with RB 250, modded by j7 and a Denon DL160.I have seen for sale a Project Perspective, with Ortofon MC Super 15 MC cart.Do you think this would be a worthwhile change, upgrade, sidegrade or waste of money?Can anyone help please?

 

DB

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2005
1,593
0
0
Bahrain, , Bahrain
Hi,

in my opinion this would be a bit of a sideways move, LPT is an excellent mid range TT and I think you'd be better off either just keeping it, saving more for a significant upgrade or keeping the LPT & RB250 and upgrading your cartridge.

opinions are of course just like a**eholes - everybody has one!

cheers

Dave

 

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
12,907
147
123
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
DB wrote:

Hi,in my opinion this would be a bit of a sideways move, LPT is an excellent mid range TT and I think you'd be better off either just keeping it, saving more for a significant upgrade or keeping the LPT & RB250 and upgrading your cartridge.

opinions are of course just like a**eholes - everybody has one!

cheers

Dave
I agree 100%.

You'd need to be talking about an Orbe, VPI Scoutmaster etc to be a really worthwhile upgrade imo.

 

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
18,750
4,752
208
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with the 2 previous posters.

If you've money to "invest"
smile.png
, then upgrade your cartridge - the LPT and RB250 are certainly good enough to take a nice Dynavector or similar a level or three up from your Denon. It will transform your sound
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif


 

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
10,280
1,271
0
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you'll love this, but if you have a 160 I can not think of much that will beat it at £250.00. The dyn 10 x 5 may be nads better, it's certainly different in its presentation, or a sumiko blue point special at about £240, but to me, again different rather better.

Have you still get the Rega endstub and counterweight or did they go in the upgrade. If they are still on then they should go first IMHO.

 

DB

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2005
1,593
0
0
Bahrain, , Bahrain
Another opinion here it must be said and of course dependent on whether you have an mc input on the Rotel pre but I'd be inclined towards the Ortofon Rondo range - I think a 250 budget would just get the Red - if it's anything like the Blue (which it will be - main difference is stylus profile) then it's a real bargain and a very nice cart indeed. The Dynavectors mentioned above are certainly good bets too.

cheers

Dave

 

DB

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2005
1,593
0
0
Bahrain, , Bahrain
NICE suggestion biscuit !

To take it a logical step further why notgive Arthur at Funk Firm a call for advice on LPT upgrades of course he's biased but nobody is more knowledgeable on LPT and I've heard the Achromat do wonderful things!

cheers

Dave

 

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
18,124
200
108
Midlands
AKA
John
Have tried the Achroplat, did not hear any significant improvement, possibly because the platter is already acrylic?

 

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
10,280
1,271
0
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well all the obvious is done, can you get a demo of a dyn or sumiko?.

I am in a similar place at the moment, and am struggling to come to terms with spending £750 to £1k to get a real improvement (Rondo Bronze and heed

phone stage as an example)

 

DB

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2005
1,593
0
0
Bahrain, , Bahrain
Fair point Johniebaby the Achromat may not do much on an acrylic platter - it was on the metal platter of the Scottish turntable that I heard it work magic and that thing does tend to ring a bit!

cheers

Dave

 

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
4,175
1
0
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
johnniebaby wrote:

Have tried the Achroplat, did not hear any significant improvement, possibly because the platter is already acrylic?
Quite likely. That was my impression with it on another acrylic platter (on an RPM9) and customer feedback backs it up. Big performance improvements in metal and glass platters (Thorens, Linns, Rega, Systemdeks, Technics sl1200/1210, various metal plattered Pro-Jects) less so on those which are very massy or some form of vinyl or acrylic interface.

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
dudywoxer wrote:

Well all the obvious is done, can you get a demo of a dyn or sumiko?.I am in a similar place at the moment, and am struggling to come to terms with spending £750 to £1k to get a real improvement (Rondo Bronze and heed

phone stage as an example)
1k gets you a big part of a Clearaudio Solution turntable now that is an upgrade
smile.png


 

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
10,280
1,271
0
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Davewhityetagain wrote:

dudywoxer wrote:
Well all the obvious is done, can you get a demo of a dyn or sumiko?.I am in a similar place at the moment, and am struggling to come to terms with spending £750 to £1k to get a real improvement (Rondo Bronze and heed

phone stage as an example)
1k gets you a big part of a Clearaudio Solution turntable now that is an upgrade
smile.png
yes, it also gets you a big chunk of a P7, and that where my money may go

but you are still short a cart and stage

 

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
4,175
1
0
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
Davewhityetagain wrote:

dudywoxer wrote:
Well all the obvious is done, can you get a demo of a dyn or sumiko?.I am in a similar place at the moment, and am struggling to come to terms with spending £750 to £1k to get a real improvement (Rondo Bronze and heed

phone stage as an example)
1k gets you a big part of a Clearaudio Solution turntable now that is an upgrade
smile.png
Not if you then can't afford a cartridge and phono stage to go with it, it isn't, though I'm sure it'd look pretty
wink.png


 

Forum statistics

Threads
109,305
Messages
2,317,317
Members
69,451
Latest member
bugsaint