Tv, dac, headphone advice

Joker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2007
Bicester, Oxon. UK
AKA
Lee
Listened to my tv last night through headphones. Sound was not great and wondered if it were possible to get a small amp/dac combo that would improve matters. Tv is not in same building as hifi (long story), so needs to be self contained. Any ideas?

Could i use any standard headphone amp/dac combo?

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
As you are sending audio from the TV I would suggest a DAC with a toslink input. There are plenty of them about .... but you could think outside the box why not use a compact minidisc deck (like a Denon DMD-30 .... £30 off eBay) and add a matching amp. Or a DAC/Headphone amp ... plenty of them about also what about something like this .... ? Use as a headphone source .... look at the Teac here ...

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?87932-Stereo-integrated-amplifiers-with-digital-inputs-new-and-used

Joker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2007
Bicester, Oxon. UK
AKA
Lee
Like the look of that teac! I should have said that for the sake of matrimonial harmony (!) and because i want to use it with my laptop as well sometimes, i would like it to be a bit more compact (i.e i can take it

out to my hifi room out of the way when not using)

Joker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2007
Bicester, Oxon. UK
AKA
Lee
I was really tempted by the teac, and was considering pulling the trigger, when lo and behold, up pops one in the classifieds! thanks for the tip Cjr. I just had to go for it

Lee

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Was tempted myself looks like a perfect way to spend £150!

DeCameron

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2009
Scotland
AKA
I started with a Dacmagic a couple of years ago but it sounded no better than the internal dac on the Panasonic TV, a benchmark was an improvement and remains in situ. We have an identical TV in another set up and I run it's analogue outputs into a Chapter audio integrated- the internal dac on that TV is of surprisingly good quality, the bass is fast and deep but a previous Samsung sounded dreadful. The Dacmagic did improve on that piece of junk but that's not saying much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online