Twitchers Thread

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This Whooper swan has been with us on our pond since early December. We're feeding it mixed grain and veg but it is still very wary of humans - hopefully it will get used to us if it sticks around.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a real treat. I've not seen one in the wild.
Certainly is. We get them regularly on Mull in the winter but hitherto the longest visit on our pond has been a few hours. It has become a fixture in the last few weeks. It will probably head South (or North) at some point but you never know - a small number of pairs stay in Scotland to breed.

unintended1

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2006
United Kingdom
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
This was one of those times when I felt truly privileged to be so close to a wild bird and the experience made my day!

This kestrel was perched in a tree and then flew down to the ground. I was not in a hide or wearing any camo and she stayed there just a few metres in front of me for about 5 minutes. She seemed completely calm with my presence, looking around and occasionally glancing over at me.

Relaxed Kestrel by Keith M, on Flickr

Bolts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2013
Kingston Surrey
AKA
Ben
This was one of those times when I felt truly privileged to be so close to a wild bird and the experience made my day!

This kestrel was perched in a tree and then flew down to the ground. I was not in a hide or wearing any camo and she stayed there just a few metres in front of me for about 5 minutes. She seemed completely calm with my presence, looking around and occasionally glancing over at me.

Relaxed Kestrel by Keith M, on Flickr

Excellent shots Keith - sometimes Kestrels seem to decide they’re going to get up close and personal and it’s a privilege to be there when they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles