ultrashort interconnects - advice please

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have GS era gold and elevator - need IC between them, and to pre amp but at most the preamp distance is 30cm, and the GS distance is very very short. Has anyone any advice re ultashort lengths or do i just get 0.5m cuts and have done with it ?

Liam

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
soupdragon wrote:

have GS era gold and elevator - need IC between them, and to pre amp but at most the preamp distance is 30cm, and the GS distance is very very short. Has anyone any advice re ultashort lengths or do i just get 0.5m cuts and have done with it ?
Not sure what you mean by "0.5m cuts"? One word of warning of having very short interconnects that I've fallen foul of; if you end up changing kit you might end up having to get new interconnects. I have made some that are 0.5m long and now find this restrictive, so don't go for anything less than 0.7m now. If you're making cheap DIY ones it doesn't really matter, but if more expensive DIY or buying new then it's worth considering. I don't think in all honesty the extra bit of length of an IC is going to affect sound quality.

A

adam

0.5 cm is generally the smallest size,i thnik it would be too hard to bend the cable at 30cm?

E

earl of sodbury

MartinC wrote:

One word of warning of having very short interconnects that I've fallen foul of; if you end up changing kit you might end up having to get new interconnects. I have made some that are 0.5m long and now find this restrictive, so don't go for anything less than 0.7m now. If you're making cheap DIY ones it doesn't really matter, but if more expensive DIY or buying new then it's worth considering. I don't think in all honesty the extra bit of length of an IC is going to affect sound quality.
:goodone:what he said

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Frank (Effem) made up a short pair for me, if you really want bespoke ones. Excellent they were too.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes i had though of franks IC's - i'm trying to keep the cuts to the minimum to avoid the hydra effect behind all the boxes !

i know this is tempting fate but i wasnt think of getting upgraditis !

hence the question !

Liam

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Liam, please tell me what you mean by "cuts". I'm guessing you're using it as an abreviation for something but I can't work out what and it's bugging me!

p.s. You will upgrade...

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sorry - by saying cuts i mean lengths !

i have been scouring the web looking at litz wound IC's, theres a guy on e bay doing 4, 9's silver 0.4mm cables in teflon tube with neutriks phonos - 0.7m for £34 i think doesnt sound too bad, but must admit to being 'virginal' in this field ! re merits between solid silver and continuous core copper.

is Frank about ?

Liam

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
soupdragon wrote:

have GS era gold and elevator - need IC between them, and to pre amp but at most the preamp distance is 30cm, and the GS distance is very very short. Has anyone any advice re ultashort lengths or do i just get 0.5m cuts and have done with it ?Liam
I would go for 1 meters too short and any change of kit makes them no use, a compleat change of kit means you will have trouble selling them.

Also too short gives no give between the cablles if you know what I mean.

The other reason for 1 meter lengths is a lot of times the differance in price is not that much

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
Should have asked Liam !

Ive got some 0.25m Subzero silver plated ones with quality phono plugs - you can have them for nothing as a sorry for taking so long to post your turntable !

James.

whether they will be long enough or not.....One way to find out !

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ha ha thanks oh, 'pointy heeled one' !

i'm trying to get all the bits and pieces to set it all up !

looking forward toyour delivery !

Liam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online