Ultrasonic Record Cleaners

Distorted Vision

Wammer
Aug 22, 2019
I've been thinking about buying an ultrasonic record cleaner for a long while. These three that have caught my eye:

f1-2.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRASONIC-R ... 3839270940

http://audiorevita.pl/?page_id=14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCLdyQ8ynw

It's made by a Polish company. The motor spindle unit isn't just something that clips on. It's built into the ultrasonic cleaner and doesn't require its own PSU. The main thing I like about it is that I can clean 6 records at a time. It can also heat the cleaning fluid.

Audiorevita also do a model, ARC-04 that has variable frequency that is £345 delivered.

f3.jpg

I'm still not sure whether high frequency is more effective and worth paying almost £100 extra for.

I think alot of you already know about the HumminGuru Kickstarter:

ebda837da57b648cf6927d3439133a91_original.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hu ... escription

It seems neater and more compact. It also has a drying mode. But the big issue is that it only cleans one record at a time. It looks like its made out of plastic so I'm not sure about the build quality. I think I would do a rinse stage and vacuum dry with my Okki Nokki RCM so the drying function in the HumminGuru is kind of redundant. The Audiorevita is £250 and the HumminGuru is £325 (both including shipping). I will almost certainly have to pay import duty and VAT with the HumminGuru.

I'm leaning towards the ARC-2 but I was wondering which you prefer or if there is a completely different alternative you think I should consider.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Velvet Vortex (made by Tim @Spider) and an excellent piece of kit it is, sensible price aswell. Adding 1 or 2 ice hockey pucks means you can clean 2-3 records at a time. I use my Pro-Ject VCS for rinse and drying duties. 

Reactions: Tarzan

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi

Just a couple of answers to your thoughts. The optimum frequency is up to 40khz higher than that does not help.
Doing multiple records has to be done properly, it is necessary for there to be enough space in between each record for the ultrasonic wave to work to its full potential. In my experience a gap of around 20mm is preferable so three at a time is about the maximum while still cleaning properly. Something else to consider is speed the vinyl turns at, the slower it turns the better because the ultrasonic wave needs time to do its job effectively any faster then 0.5rpm is not allowing the cleaning process to work to its full potential.  Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I use a Velvet Vortex. I have no association with Tim - Spider other than being a very satisfied customer. What he says above is correct after lots of use. I would not attempt to clean more than 3 at a time. Slow rotation means that the top 2/3 is dry when you lift them out so they are fully dry within minutes of air drying.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve cleaned hundreds with the velvet vortex ..get the cleaning solution blend right and it does what it says on the can .

kindest regards Julian ..

Reactions: Spider

JD68

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2015
Manchester
AKA
John Dunne
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’ve cleaned hundreds with the velvet vortex ..get the cleaning solution blend right and it does what it says on the can .

kindest regards Julian ..
Out of interest what cleaning solution are you using?

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My opinion for what it's worth is :-

I only ultrasonic clean my LP's once , Be it new or Boot sale / Second hand vinyl

Once deep cleaned with the US then it's over to the way / Vac cleaning along with a NEW sleeve 

Wet cleaning does your finger prints / dust removel etc even tho you should not get finger prints if you hold the LP correctly 

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Out of interest what cleaning solution are you using?
Mix 4.4 lt  of distilled water , 400 ml of UVEX clear lens cleaning solution ..10 ml of ilfotol . 400 ml iso propanol./propyl alcohol  CH3CHOHCH3 

The UVEX comes in a 500 ml spray bottle.so with what is left I spray each side of the record with the neat UVEX first and leave for 30 seconds on my project vacuum cleaner using a squirrel brush ..so it wets into the grooves .

although the UVEX lens cleaner has a wetting agent in it the mix does perform better with the addition of ilfotol  

this will do about 50 albums depending how dirty they are 

although the UVEX makes the mix a tad more expensive it is the best I’ve found as a degreaser  .. and I do get it via work along with the isopropanol..

PS .there were no squirrels harm in this process...

kindest regards Julian

JD68

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2015
Manchester
AKA
John Dunne
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Mix 4.4 lt  of distilled water , 400 ml of UVEX clear lens cleaning solution ..10 ml of ilfotol . 400 ml iso propanol./propyl alcohol  CH3CHOHCH3 
The UVEX comes in a 500 ml spray bottle.so with what is left I spray each side of the record with the neat UVEX first and leave for 30 seconds on my project vacuum cleaner using a squirrel brush ..so it wets into the grooves .
although the UVEX lens cleaner has a wetting agent in it the mix does perform better with the addition of ilfotol  
this will do about 50 albums depending how dirty they are 
although the UVEX makes the mix a tad more expensive it is the best I’ve found as a degreaser  .. and I do get it via work along with the isopropanol..
PS .there were no squirrels harm in this process...
kindest regards Julian
Thanks Julian, will have a look at this when I mix some more solution.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.