Unison Research S6

G

Well the big save is on for me now but in the meantime i'll need a decent amp to fill the void. This is obviously in range ( s/h) in the £1k category.

200411_unison_s6_2.jpg

Don't be shy
biggrin.png

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks Unison amps are fugly?

No idea what they actually sound like, but vaious of the valvistas in the mags like them.

Boxer

G

boxer wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks Unison amps are fugly?No idea what they actually sound like, but vaious of the valvistas in the mags like them.

Boxer
i like the look of them. But hey thats no guideline

Joff

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2007
Northampton, , Unite
I have a Unison S2K and its bloody marvolous. Its driving a pair of ProAc 140,s which are quite sensitive, 91db. I have not heard any other Unisons but if this is anything to go by then I would say get one.
smile.png

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
from "rockmeisters big audition":

First change. Swap Sugden A21se for Unison research S6 integrated valves..same price as the sugden, but 30wpc of single ended (el34) valve amp. Sorry to say this didn’t last longer than half an hour…a VERY good amp, but a forward upper mid presentation spoilt it for me, making it lighter and brighter than the sugden (although bass was a little warmer and more rhythmic still…looser however) I wrote..’a liitle more air and space at the expense of eveness of tone. Soundstaging, notably depth, was better that the sugden however.

so IMO NOT an amp for speakers which already have a forward upper mid balance.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Duvester get a Manley Stinray if it's a stopgap you are after. Be superb with yout speakers, or perhaps the A30 from puresound, BTW before saving your pennies, try and listen to a McIntosh valve amp with your speakers.

G

rockmeister wrote:

from "rockmeisters big audition":First change. Swap Sugden A21se for Unison research S6 integrated valves..same price as the sugden, but 30wpc of single ended (el34) valve amp. Sorry to say this didn’t last longer than half an hour…a VERY good amp, but a forward upper mid presentation spoilt it for me, making it lighter and brighter than the sugden (although bass was a little warmer and more rhythmic still…looser however) I wrote..’a liitle more air and space at the expense of eveness of tone. Soundstaging, notably depth, was better that the sugden however.

so IMO NOT an amp for speakers which already have a forward upper mid balance.
I don't think my speakers have a forward upper mid balance you old sop
tongue.png

Thank god the schools hols are nearly over.....
biggrin.png

What speakers didi you demo with Rock ?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HO Ho.

Speaks were:

Focal 1007's / Proac 140's / opera callas divas ....worked best with the Operas, which have a lovely open sweet voicing that suits slightly 'harder' valves really well IMO. Proac bass overwhelmed the mix, and the 1007's are already very clean in that region, so it sounded to obvious an imbalance. If your silly french ceramique thingys are a bit laid back in the middle, it could be jut the job. Also worth noting that the rest of the U/R amp range is more neutral so I'm told (didn't hear them, but the sinfonia (KT88's) looks VERY intersting...a mere extra 1000 squids!
smile.png

editted to add...they look WAY better in the flesh...gorgeous looks and build, and the remote is astonishing...feels machined from a solid chunk of aluminium...pure class.
500000033.gif.92511e2005a900cfb9bb836a01712b3a.gif

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
harv wrote:

Currently using the Mk 1... quite surpried with the results actually. It has about 75% of the midrange warmth of my Canary 300Bs... not as magical but certainly nice and open... One thing I like about the amp is that it has a switch for Ultralinear or Triode strapping mode... there's also a switch to adjust negative feedback (though I've yet had the chance to have a play with it).

There was a used second hand set from Audio Salon up north I believe... It wouldn't make me sell my 300Bs though
tongue.png

JJ

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Duvet wrote:

Well the big save is on for me now but in the meantime i'll need a decent amp to fill the void. This is obviously in range ( s/h) in the £1k category.Don't be shy
biggrin.png
What are you saving for now ?

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
Duvet, i had an S6 for about 3 mths or so. I bought it on the strength of the very good reviews on the `net and got it at an unbeatable price (less than a year old and mint)

class A, SE amp.... sounded brill at high volumes, great midrange and bass power, nice soundstaging too. would drive a tank as well...powerfull for what was essentially a 30 watter.

Compared to the Puresound, it is a better amp, but what do you expect...the Unison S6 is £2k compared to the Puresound at just over £1k.

Build is stunning...30kg of lovliness...looks wont appeal to all and looks better with the cage off. Also, it`s bigger than it looks too...really deep and needs some serious air on the top as the valves run HOT!

Q.Why didn`t i keep it?????

A. At the volumes i listen to, the detail wasn`t there and lost air and space compared to my old Unisis...and far less "chimey" (this is due to the S6 using EL34`s against the 84`s). Cymbals seem muted and high hats dulled too. Bass was excellent though.

I missed my Unisis greatly, so sold the S6 and bought a Unisis signature from Definitive Audio. Better in every way apart from bass at high volumes.

1166380624.jpg

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Single Ended EL34's I reckon will work well with your speaks. Try and get the old man to pop over with his.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles