Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I've been reading the 'wam on and off for a while now and I want to ask the wise wammers for advice on upgrading (or not) my modest music system.

It's simply a Squeezebox Duet feeding an early Cyrus 1 amp and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s on Atacama Aurora 6 stands.

Cabling is nothing fancy just Kelvin K2 interconnects (no idea about them - came from a mate) and CA multi-stranded speaker cables.

The speakers fire down the length of a 6.5m x 3.5m room and are about 30cm off the back wall. There's nothing I can do about positioning.

I replaced all the electrolytic caps in the Cyrus including the big ones in the PSU a while back as some were looking domed and I read somewhere it was a good idea on old amps. Can't say it changed/improved the sound of the amp but it kept me busy one wet and miserable winter.

Recently I've been thinking about new speakers, possibly active monitors like the ESI Unik08, but then looking at DACs and generally dithering about wondering if it is worth spending that much money. Would I be better off saving the pennies and just replacing the whole lot or is my original idea of better speakers the way to go? Standmounters are compulsory BTW and I miss the big drivers in my long gone B&W DM110s so an increase in size isn't out of the question.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi Mark, in terms of bang for buck, you want to be looking at upgrading speakers first. It will be helpful to know how much your budget is as well, as well as what you listen to and what you like about your system as is and what you want to improve.

Dont worry about things like your cables as, without wanting to be discrespectful, at this level you would struggle to notice anything or even if there was a difference the money would be much better spent on speakers and/or amp.

Also helpful to know if you are set on buying new or if you are considering secondhand - some absolute bargains available in the classifieds at the mo.

However, as Tel suggest you can find a good dealer for new speakers who will be happy for you to trial them at home with the rest of your setup before you buy.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Upgrading speakers is always a good shout and where the smart money normally goes.

The ESi speakers are very good and well worth the cash, The DAC isn't so important in my view, they are all much of a muchness up to £400 - £500 you could get a very nice system for not that much. Against that there have been some very good reviews of the Acoustic Energy Speakers which seem to punch above their weight. You don't mention your location but I would take the amp and get a listen to both or ask a friendly dealer to bring both to you!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely agree with the above.

the Cyprus isn't hopelessly outclassed, but the Wharfedales are.

No matter what your source, DAC and amplifier is, unless they're feeding the best speakers you can manage, they'll always be compromised.

If new, then the AEs are worth a look, as are Q Acoustics. If you're happy to look at used (and you should be) then depending on available budget you're going to get a serious upgrade.

daccordimark

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys, you've confirmed my thoughts that the speakers are the thing to replace. I won't be bothering with cable changes as I agree with hearingisbelieving that it would be wasted money - no offence taken BTW.

Budget wise maybe the near £500 for the ESi ones is a bit steep so realistically £300 is more like it and definitely 2nd hand seems a good bet. The main thing that bugs me about the Wharfedales is the "tubby" sound - I'd like something a bit more neutral I think. My wide taste in music makes choosing equipment difficult sometimes because I want something that makes Norah Jones's vocals sound sublime and drives Guns 'n' Roses along with gusto!

Cheers,

Mark.

C

Crazytrain

If you want to buy new, the Dali Zensor 1 are decent speakers at the budget end. I preferred them to the Q acoustics and Monitor audio bx2. YMMV of course. If i was buying now, i'd go for a set of used speakers.

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Mark. I use to have a Cyrus 2 with Diamond 9.1's!

Can't really recommend any upgrades. I'll just mention that I found the warm/tubby nature of the 9.1's really tamed the Cyrus's tendency to be a bit shrill and sharp.

Might be worth keeping in mind when changing speakers. But it's all personal taste. My shrill might be your perfectly balanced. :)

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
would echo the speaker comments.. Try lots second hand and if you buy/ sell cannily then you can have a good listen at home and see what sounds good for you. Those revolvers in the classifieds could be a good start?!

eastsoutheast

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 13, 2011
Wimblington Cambridgeshire
AKA
Brian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
100% speakers for the most significant upgrade. Buying 2nd hand makes it difficult to demo beforehand but the bargains available make it well worthwhile considering.

You say stand-mounters are the only option, is it fair to assume this means you are not able to use dedicated speaker stands? If you can use stands then I would imagine you would consider floorstanders. Reading your original post it sounds like you are after something with decent sized drivers. I would factor in a pair of decent isolation platforms if you are going to be placing your new speakers on anything other than wel designed dedicated stands. I recently tried a pair of Auralex isolation platforms (available on Amazon amongst other places) and the difference they made was significant.

good luck

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
100% speakers for the most significant upgrade. Buying 2nd hand makes it difficult to demo beforehand but the bargains available make it well worthwhile considering. You say stand-mounters are the only option, is it fair to assume this means you are not able to use dedicated speaker stands? If you can use stands then I would imagine you would consider floorstanders. Reading your original post it sounds like you are after something with decent sized drivers. I would factor in a pair of decent isolation platforms if you are going to be placing your new speakers on anything other than wel designed dedicated stands. I recently tried a pair of Auralex isolation platforms (available on Amazon amongst other places) and the difference they made was significant.

good luck
In the OP he does state that he is using stands.

I am not sure why standmounters are compulsory but considering his budget it is probably best to stick to them anyway as decent floorstanders tend to cost considerably more.

daccordimark

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the OP he does state that he is using stands.I am not sure why standmounters are compulsory but considering his budget it is probably best to stick to them anyway as decent floorstanders tend to cost considerably more.
If I posted a pic of my bald shining pate complete with huge thumb print would that answer your question?

Seriously my other half won't tolerate floorstanders in the lounge otherwise we'd have my modded TDL RTL2s in there instead of in the kitchen/diner!

daccordimark

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
would echo the speaker comments.. Try lots second hand and if you buy/ sell cannily then you can have a good listen at home and see what sounds good for you. Those revolvers in the classifieds could be a good start?!
Would that be the RW16s I've just been looking at?

It seems I might have to be prepared to buy/sell a few pairs of speakers until I find the perfect match which is not something I've ever done before - it sounds like a recipe for financial disaster.

Cheers,

Mark.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't say where you are (Hint: Fill in your profile!). Go to a few bake offs and listen to different speakers, have a look at this thread and PM and visit any wammers who have speakers that interest you (take your amp) or hold a bake off yourself and ask wammers to bring standmount speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles