Wammer
Aug 2, 2015
stondon massey
AKA
jason ruse
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I just thought I'd ask the question as to whether any of you have had an older KDS/dsm upgraded to organik yet,and if yes what are the improvements.

I am only asking,as to be honest,i'm perfectly happy with my kdsm1 and £5400 is a huge investment for me to make,and with times as they are now, I am finding it difficult to justify the outlay,however if it really is a huge upgrade and will lift my music to new heights I might be prepared to save for it,after the sale of my left kidney and a few other audio components of course.

I'm only really interested in hearing from people that had either had the upgrade done,and from any of you that may have heard the difference.
I wait in anticipation,with scalpel and anesthesia at the ready.......🤕

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just thought I'd ask the question as to whether any of you have had an older KDS/dsm upgraded to organik yet,and if yes what are the improvements.

I am only asking,as to be honest,i'm perfectly happy with my kdsm1 and £5400 is a huge investment for me to make,and with times as they are now, I am finding it difficult to justify the outlay,however if it really is a huge upgrade and will lift my music to new heights I might be prepared to save for it,after the sale of my left kidney and a few other audio components of course.

I'm only really interested in hearing from people that had either had the upgrade done,and from any of you that may have heard the difference.
I wait in anticipation,with scalpel and anesthesia at the ready.......🤕
I have not heard a direct comparison between an older KDS/DSM and one with the Organik DAC’s installed, however I thought I would add some thoughts.

I have heard the difference between 350’s with Katalyst DAC’s and Organik DAC’s and actually assisted in the installation of the Organik boards before and after. I have also borrowed a NG KDSM A/V with the Organik DAC’s to try out in 4 different Linn systems, including my own system. In my Linn system, I was not using the Organik DAC’s, as my DAC’s are built into my Akubariks, but the improvements in sound quality using the DSM as a Hub were substantial.

The Organik DAC’s will certainly be a notable improvement in sound quality to your stereo. The benefits of the upgrade are more than just the Organik DAC’s, as you will have Linn‘s latest designed circuit boards, which on their own are a substantial upgrade in sound quality over pre-2018 variants of the Klimax DS/DSM

The new Organik DAC’s with the new circuit boards will give you unit a new 5 year warranty as well.

The best option may be to audition the Organik DAC’s at a Linn dealer who has already performed the upgrade, and bring your Klimax DSM for a comparison.

Only you can decide if it is worth the money outlay for you.

wonky1969

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2015
stondon massey
AKA
jason ruse
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks for that Paulssurround,i am glad to hear about the improvements organik has made in the systems you've heard it in.

I don't expect an upgraded older style ds/dsm to sound as good as the NGKDSM,but 90-95% would be a substantial upgrade,for me at least.

TBH I'm avoiding going to my local linn dealer,as I have to save up for the upgrade.If I was to hear it for myself,then I would find it difficult to live with my dsm as it is for perhaps 6 months to a year whilst saving for it,dangerous ground

Reactions: Paulssurround

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that Paulssurround,i am glad to hear about the improvements organik has made in the systems you've heard it in.

I don't expect an upgraded older style ds/dsm to sound as good as the NGKDSM,but 90-95% would be a substantial upgrade,for me at least.

TBH I'm avoiding going to my local linn dealer,as I have to save up for the upgrade.If I was to hear it for myself,then I would find it difficult to live with my dsm as it is for perhaps 6 months to a year whilst saving for it,dangerous ground
I know what you mean about going to the Linn dealer and the temptation to buy.

We already know that Organik is going to sound better with the upgrade, and we have already sold ourselves on it before we even arrive at the dealers.

I don’t know about you, but I have my brain already trying to figure out the finances before I arrive at the dealers, figuring out what I can sell off, and trying to arrive at a price I think I can live with. If the Linn dealer comes close to my number, or at an even better price, the credit card usually finds itself handed over to the salesperson.

cspgqqt

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
figuring out what I can sell off, and trying to arrive at a price I think I can live with.
I read somewhere on the news that a guy (from some country) sold his kidney to buy an iPhone!

Just a bad joke from a real-like tragedy.

I would think an Organik is a nice thing, but I won't break my bank to get it. When it comes, it will come, we just need to save some money.

PS: i was just saying generally about expensive stuffs, i am actually a few lucky ones who own the ngksdm already.

Last edited:
Reactions: akamatsu

TomBl

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales.
AKA
Tom Bloomfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had my ADSM upgraded.
It did sound better, but not hugely better. I think it was about £1,600 three years ago, perfectly happy.
I take the view that if you have something good then look after it.

wonky1969

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2015
stondon massey
AKA
jason ruse
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I know what you mean about going to the Linn dealer and the temptation to buy.

We already know that Organik is going to sound better with the upgrade, and we have already sold ourselves on it before we even arrive at the dealers.

I don’t know about you, but I have my brain already trying to figure out the finances before I arrive at the dealers, figuring out what I can sell off, and trying to arrive at a price I think I can live with. If the Linn dealer comes close to my number, or at an even better price, the credit card usually finds itself handed over to the salesperson.
That's exactly the reason I avoid going to a linn dealer,as I know I'm going to like it,i only visit when I have the required funds,otherwise it's torture hearing something that I'm not in a position to own,and going home and forced to listen to my ' broken ' older system,i like the way mine sounds now and not hearing better suits me

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's exactly the reason I avoid going to a linn dealer,as I know I'm going to like it,i only visit when I have the required funds,otherwise it's torture hearing something that I'm not in a position to own,and going home and forced to listen to my ' broken ' older system,i like the way mine sounds now and not hearing better suits me
I’m with you on that. I ordered the NG Klimax DSM Hub without ever hearing one. The 16 week lead time would’ve been 16 weeks of distracted listening. :)

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably a good idea.

I like to visit the HiFi dealers to hear what is out there, to listen to different brands and new products that have arrived.

I am always happy to come home to the wonderful system I have

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles