Upgrading to a better Nas with more storage.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My ReadyNas Duo 2x1 TB has served me v well fer around 30months & I'm moving on at last from SBT's as my streaming solution & I'm extremely happy with my C.A. SM6 Streamer. Particularly since I've started using Bubble UPnP as a controller instead of C.A.'s utterly shite Android controller App. :doh: :wall: :td: :td: Bubble is far more stable, slicker by far & very flexible allowing me to use android devices as players too & also has support for streaming Spotify IIRC. The development team seem fully onboard & tweaks+further improvements seem to be happening with some momentum. :cool: From what I've seen re customer feedback they seem willing to take suggestions on board & act on them. Very similar to my experience with VinylStudio. :^ C.A.'s pace of platform development seems glacial & frankly I've given up on error reports. Anyhooo mini rant over:roll: & would just add when you have such good experience of a paid for App/Sw programme its easy to appreciate what great value fer money they can be.

My Da's havin' one of my SBT's + the ReadyNas as this is simple to setup, works great as a package & being familiar to me will greatly simplify any setup tweaks that may be needed & also he's extremely unlikely to run out of storage space, prolly using it exclusively as a moooozic server.

I want another two bay Nas, the form factor suits me v well & is a good fit for me siting it in the bedroom. I've been looking at various options all day yesterday & although the price of the Buffalo Duo Pro 6TB & the similar Western digital 6TB are fairly attractive I've decided to go for a Synology as most folk seem to rate them v highly & the feature count & stuff that would be of use to me seems far better than the other brands.

TBH I would have got a Synology last time round but the ReadyNas kinda aced it for my needs at the time as I was a relative noob with IT & Logitechs official support for Netgears Nas's seemed to make sense. The Netgears looks also won out as did the bonus of 'Hot-Swap' drive bays. The latest Synology DS 213 enclosures have now added the hot swap feature & in the short term I'll be getting a spare drive so I should be well covered.

Anyhoo I've decided to try & get this right fer my needs as I see them (Its main use will be as a mooozic server for my streamers but I dare say there is much else that I'll find useful. :geek:

The New DS213j (£170) looks about right & TBH is likely as far as I can push it re costs with the drives. I don't need the Wi-Fi of the 213 Air & the 213j has more where it counts e.g. RAM 512mb as opposed to 256mb for the air & its read/write speeds over wired/Lan are marginally better. The Air has a tad more processor grunt 1.6ghz but the 1.2ghz 213j processor is 'Floating point' for what that's worth. :? http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS213j〈=uk#p_submenu.
DS213j.jpg

I'll be looking at around £360 all in if I buy the drives separately & stick to those tested as compatible these are the ones I'm thinking of>> http://www.dabs.com/products/seagate-3tb-barracuda-sata-6gb-s-64mb-7200rpm-3-5--hard-drive-7W95.html?src=3#

Here's the list of compatible drives

>
BrandModel
arrow_up_go.png
Size
arrow_up_go.png
Class
arrow_up_go.png
Remarks
HGSTHUS724040ALE640 (0F14683)4TBEnterprise
HGSTHDS5C4040ALE6304TBDesktop
HGSTHUA723030ALA6403TBEnterprise
HGSTHUS724030ALE6403TBEnterprise
HGSTHDS723030ALA6403TBDesktop
HGSTHDS723020BLA6422TBDesktop
HGSTHDS723015BLA6421.5TBDesktop
SamsungHD103SJ (ST1000DM005)1TBDesktop
SeagateST4000DM0004TBDesktop
SeagateST4000DX0004TBDesktop
SeagateST33000650NS3TBEnterprise
SeagateST3000DM0013TBDesktop
SeagateST33000651AS3TBDesktop
SeagateST2000VM0032TBSurveillance
SeagateST32000645NS2TBEnterprise
SeagateST31000340NS1TBEnterprise
SeagateST1000DM0031TBDesktop
SeagateST31000528AS (ST310005N1A1AS-RK)1TBDesktop
ToshibaDT01ABA300V3TBDesktop
Western DigitalWD4000FYYZ4TBEnterprise
Western DigitalWD4001FAEX4TBDesktop
Western DigitalWD30EFRX3TBNAS
Western DigitalWD3001FAEX3TBDesktop
Western DigitalWD20EFRX2TBNAS
Western DigitalWD2003FYYS2TBEnterprise
Western DigitalWD2002FAEX2TBDesktop
Western DigitalWD10EFRX1TBNAS
Western DigitalWD1000DHTZ1TBEnterprise
Western DigitalWD1002FBYS1TBEnterprise
Western DigitalWD1003FBYX1TBEnterprise
Western DigitalWD1002FAEX1TBDesktop
Western DigitalWD10EZEX1TBDesktop

If anyone knows of another small form factor dual bay Nas that has this aced in terms of performance/features/spec at a price of up to £360 including 2x3TB drives or under £300 with 2x2TB drives I'd be interested particularly if you're also using an SM6 + Android devices to 'push' music over your LAN from a Nas.

TBH the Buffalo Duo Pro could save me a whole heap of change particularly if I only opt for the 2x2Tb version which can be had for £230. However this is a buy I don't want to be regretting down the line so my max budget is up to £360 all in with 2x3TB drives & I don't mind buying from different suppliers if they're reliable/speedy on delivery. Paying less would always be good but I don't mind going to my upper limit for ease of use, quality & peace of mind.

Thanks for looking & any help/advice offered.

I'd like to be up & running with the new Nas in the next week or so so I can move onto setting up everything fer me Dad.

Chris ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot. :D

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd go for the Western Digital Red 3TB drives. They're on your list as WD30EFRX

I'm just about to get two of them to upgrade my 1TB Readynas. Amazon is a cheap as anyone and you get less hassle if you get one DOA.

drummerjohn

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 15, 2009
South Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wouldn't touch a Buffalo NAS. I had two and the firmware releases were flakey as was the products. Going cheap was a bad idea.

My Synologys on the other hand have worked flawlessly for years.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm waiting for SSDs to come down in price satisfactorily! Overwrite cycles are an oft-quoted reason for not using them, but if I write once, the read-many aspect shouldn't be such an issue.

surayne

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new HP microserver is about £90 after cashback at the moment, install FreeNAS or Vortexbox and you're up and running. A little larger than a 2-bay NAS but not by much.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
The new HP microserver is about £90 after cashback at the moment, install FreeNAS or Vortexbox and you're up and running. A little larger than a 2-bay NAS but not by much.
I think this should be definitely be under serious consideration for someone with a few NAS/Computer Audio miles under their belt and knows what they're doing.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Martin.......I'll be thinking on that, trouble is it adds nearly sixty squid onto my projected costs over the Seagates that I linked too. :( That would bring it to over £400 all in which is sorta insane fer a Nas solution.

Hear what you're saying re Amac***z too & I have no problem with that as I buy lotsa stuff from them & agree they're pretty Damn good re customer care. :^ I also have Microdirect v close to where I live & can source the Synolygy from them at a good price. I've found them great in the past & have also used them pretty often for bigger IT purchases, & having the shop close should make returns etc less hassle. :?

I've had one Seagate in My Readynas from the get go + I took advantage of the free 'mirrored' drive that you could claim back at the time if you bought the ReadyNas populated with one drive. I already had a Samsung Spin-point at the time which I installed as the second drive, leaving the factory sealed Seagate as my spare. I've seen some suggestion that mixing appropriate drives from different mfrs in this way can mitigate in Q.C. probs in batches of drives from mfrs & it seems less likely you'll suffer a double drive failure at t' same time. All these were on Netgears approved drive list too.

I'll almost certainly be sticking to drives from the bigger mfrs, so Seagate, W.D. or Samsung. Trouble is at the mo' these Synology Nas enclosures are fairly new to the market & the 213j I'm looking at is pretty much hot off t' press & that list of compatible drives will get bigger.

I've also found the Seagate M0001 2TB for £70 which is fairly attractively priced but not yet on the compatible list, although its bigger brother (3TB M0001 version) is. :dunno: :dunno: However taking a risk seems like a dodgy move. :nerves:

I'll deffo be keeping an eye on the Synology users forum too here's a post I've lifted from this thread. http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=69691&p=266064&hilit=ds213j#p266064

Re: Why so few compatible HDs for DS213j vs. other DS213 modby mike42dk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:16 am

Hi

The short answer is nobody but Synology knows, and this is a user driven forum, if you want a direct answer from Synology then you need to submit a support form.

The DS 231j has other hardware, but the Raid controller is a software driven, so the compatibility should be almost the same.

Regards Michael

###############################################

Synology DS-412+ with DSM 4.2 3211

Westen Digital 20EFRX 2 TB. X 2 in slot 1+3(format to EXT4) RAID 1

Seagate ST2000DL003 2 TB. in slot 2 (format to EXT4) Basic

Samsung USB2 G3 Station 2 TB. (format to EXT4)

Please don't PM for help, use forum so all users can see answers
So nothing definitive but seems I could mebbe also consider drives known to be compatible with the other enclosures in the 213 series that have been on the market a little longer.

The list for the DS213air is pretty huge......http://www.synology.com/support/hd.php?lang=uk&tab=search_by_products&hd_select_bay=2&hd_select_ds=DS213air#113

I've been going a little 'batso' with all the searches/comparisons so far
rolleyes.gif
but I'm happy not to rush into anything

Never straightforward is it! :D

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers for the answers from all. :^

Wouldn't touch a Buffalo NAS. I had two and the firmware releases were flakey as was the products. Going cheap was a bad idea.My Synologys on the other hand have worked flawlessly for years.
Ta fer this in particular John.......pretty much confirming my misgivings & as said I really don't want to cut corners fer the sake of being a tightarse. :nup: Yeah Synology is pretty much the only horse in the race at the mo' :^

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a bit of a Radical re-think & I'm still going with Synology but the full fat DS213 is now looking like the front runner........there is a huge range of tested/compatible drives which should allow me to easily continue with my mix & match strategy, unless anyone knows of a flaw to this approach. The hot swap drive feature is more readily accessed:cool: & it has oodles more processor grunt, so should offer a slicker user experience. Its black too, which is deffo an easier fit with any other tech I have in the bedroom & I did have misgiving about a white toaster sized box next to my TV & Teac Reference 300iii mini separates system.

I may still be able to stretch to 3TB drives but now 2x2TB may be more likely......still at least now I have a lot more choice.

I've only just started looking but this is on the list & readily available from Amac***z + Microdirect too. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Barracuda-inch-Internal-Drive/dp/B006H32Q3S/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370783684&sr=1-5&keywords=internal+hard+drives+2tb,

I'll see what pops up in the larger size too here's the link fer the compatability list fer this 'un>>>. http://www.synology.com/support/hd.php?lang=uk&tab=search_by_products&hd_select_bay=2&hd_select_ds=DS213#2,

G

FWIW I have the 213Air. It's a heck of a lot faster than my old 208 (?), and near-silent in operation.

I don't think the 213J existed when I bought the Air, otherwise I would have had that - the wireless repeater thing is useless to me (and comes enabled in unsecured "pants down" mode by default - what a stupid idea).

The HP microserver looks like a very cost effective option.

I'm using 2 * Western Digital "Red" 2Tb.

Original setup thread is here.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Bud,

I'll take a squiz at that link.....ta!! :flowers:

Yeah I've had an epipheny yesterday & the 213j is now off the menu & I'm deffo going fer the full fat 213 with 2x3TB (May just populate with 1 drive fer a week or so)

Agree the HP looks good....but the form factor is just a smidge too big fer my bedroom + it doesn't cut it aesthetically with the bits of tech its going to sit with. Can't be arsed with the all the setup & sourcing stuff. Its not 'hot swap' which is summat I want to keep. The energy efficiency/convenience + easy to setup add-ons of the Synology are also for me compelling(wake up on lan/power on off schedules/Native Android Apps etc). Its very feature rich in terms of what I want/need. My 30 months with t' ReadyNas Duo have also given me a much clearer idea of what that actually is & to be fair its only recently that I've started to outstrip my original needs.

My new higher budget now makes a lot of sense as I'd also been planning to buy a C.A. NP30 streamer for the bedroom in the next week or so as they're v good value at the moment. However as the Synology will be sited in the bedroom I can take advantage of its 'Audio Station' *http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=64784&p=264559&hilit=audio+station#p264559, which will allow me to use a 24bit capable USB Dac & just hook it up to my system for Flac streaming & internet radio. One less box & the slightly odd form factor of the NP30 wasn't ideal neither. I'll soon be looking for a budget USB dac that will handle 24bit at up to 96khz & also has an optical input fer me TV. I'd like ter keep this below £70, so will start by looking at some of the Fiio offerings & other small footprint stuff.

Cheers

Chris.

G

I have the 213+ :^

Bloody amazing bit of kit. So easy to use and works very well and blindingly fast.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Dom,

I'm picking up my DS213 from Microdirect this afternoon:^ Uselessparcel.com:td: Have just failed to deliver my 2x WD Red 3TB drives this morning despite me being up since 7am & the flat being totally silent. :wall: Should be with me tomorrow hopefully & I've e-mailed them a complaint......useless feckers!! Grrrrr!

Got the drives for £210 + notnextdaydelivery :doh: :roll: for £8 from Dabs......Use this voucher for £20 off orders over £200. http://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/dabs.com#1575448. :^

Anyways I'll be picking up the nooo Nas a little later.....reckon I've made a good decision going fer the extra processor grunt of the 213 & proper 'hot-swap' is also something of a winner & not something I wanted to lose in my upgrade from the ReadyNas + in my eyes its kinda cool. :cool: :geek: I'd have had ter settle fer white too with the 213j.

Gotta say tho' that the 213j does look excellent for the money too & I'd have thought it would be perfect for lots of peeps. This whole range looks pretty tough to beat at the mo'

I have the 213+ :^ Bloody amazing bit of kit. So easy to use and works very well and blindingly fast.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The DS213 is up & running......still doing volume check stuff in the background, but I'm all logged on & have the browser SW installed. It looks great in Firefox & has a far less clunky look than the Raidiator C.P. for the Netgear ReadyNas + I'm sure it should be blazingly fast compared to what I'm used to as the DS213 has lots more grunt.

As previously mentioned I've populated with 2xWD Red 3TB the Nas specificity of these drives + the three year warranty made a whole lot of sense in the end. Lol my drives from Dabs arrived whilst I was oooot picking up the Nas from Microdirect. This despite saying delivery was rescheduled fer tomorrow. :doh: My polite complaint must have worked some magic. When I arrived back I had a note on my door from me gorgeous neighbour Kate (Katjia....think she's Latvian) saying she'd signed for them........result!!! :cool:

Meanwhile I bought another 3TB WD Red whilst I was out, as Microdirect had fresh stock in today & this is a later batch as both those from Dabs were dated January this year & the Microdirect one is dated March 2013. Good stuff & I have 1 from each batch installed & my BNIB spare good to go & the S/N's written down fer warranty registration I understand that WD have a dedicated site for their Red series drives so presume I just pay a visit there & register.

My costs have been horrendous @ £567:sick:, but that's all in with the spare drive, which compares v well with buying this Nas Ready populated with 2xWD Red 3TB Which seems to be upwards of £550 if you want rapid delivery & aren't prepared to wait for 2months to get this price from Amac***z :roll:

Microdirect gave me their trade price fer the drive (£114) when I mentioned the Dabs offer & asked if they could get close. Had a nice chat with the chaps in there who were extremely helpful & the tech guy supplied me with a jiffy bag of mounting screws just in case. :^ It's actually a good tip to ask fer these if not sure when buying a new Nas or Hard Drives,. Particularly if buying OEM drives in their sealed plastic pouches. I was glad I remembered this as it can save ballache & having to source them separately.......in the event Synology provided a variety & one size with a v short threaded section was perfect.

It seems extremely quiet so far, even when booting up with the drives freshly installed....gotta say I'm really impressed. Admittedly I've been playing music, but its in the living room for now whilst I do the initial stuff & get ready to retire the ReadyNas.......Farewell old Pal. :hug:

Next will be to get my mooozic transferred, install the UPnP/DLNA server software on the Synology & get everything working reet with the C.A. SM6 before I move it into the bedroom. :cool:

Next up I could be looking for a small form factor 24bit capable USB dac so I can use the DS213 for internet radio & local File playback in my bedroom setup. Inexpensive but decent would be good, I do already have a Fiio D3 Taishan which is 24/192 capable. I could possibly use this with a USB to SP/diff converter, so that could be one route to consider.......lotsa wires though innit. :roll:

There are a few here>>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+to+spdif&sprefix=USB+to+spdif%2Cmi%2C491. Not something I've payed much attention too really these sorta devices. :? As long as they sound reasonably decent with the Fiio that'd do as the bedroom system doesn't get used for any sorta critical listening.

This may take a back seat fer a few weeks...unless it can be done fairly cheap as I do have me eye on getting summat else fer the main setup......????? :D

A shout out for Microdirect then.....as it goes I've bought a lot of tech from them, prolly most of my bigger IT purchases including my first ever laptop & my outgoing ReadyNas. I've always found them pretty good & helpful as needed. :^

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Pete....Gyro's previous thread that he linked to is well worth reading too & he covers disk migration too which is useful to know when it comes time to upgrade.

Yeah the Hi-Face is too much I'm afraid, but that's the sorta small form factor I'm considering. Particularly as I'm likely to pair it with my Diddy Fiio dac which is 24bit capable & more than good enough in the context of the bedroom system which is modest but fairly decent. TBH it rarely gets used for anything other than background & is pretty much a glorified alarm clock mostly. :D

Whatever I get will have to be sub £40 if this can be done & certainly no more than £70 but along the lines of being the same sorta form factor would be good.

No Behringer UC'o'bollox suggestions please as they don't do 24bit :nup: . TBH I'm not really sure whether these sorta interfaces could be used like this with the Synology.....but thinking on this I still have my old Cakewalk* (*Roland) UA-1G usb interface which I used to use for vinyl recording before I got the Alva Nanoface & this handles 24bit@ up to 96khz which would suit perfectly & it has optical in/out + analogue phono sockets too. I had been considering selling this....if not a goer it could be summat to swap or p/ex. :?

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chris, you now have the dog's bollocks of a NAS. Are you going to stream video from it as well as audio? It should have the power to do it.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Martin,

Yeah prolly eventually....I think my HD PVR allows streaming & use as a renderer. I always seem to find that I have far too many TV programmes/Films etc building up at a rate that means I never get round to watching much of this content. I do have my AV setup integrated into my main rig too & always enjoy using it......but music wins more often than not. :stereo:

I've already downloaded the UPnP/DLNA server + Synologys Photo Station last night & this morning I've added Download Station, Video Station & have taken a squiz at a third party media server for streaming video content>> Plextor Media Server.

I'm just in the process of copying my full library onto a portable drive from the ReadyNas. I'm a couple of months out of date from the last full backup I did onto my external drives & have neatened the file structure on several large folders + added a good few more albums since. I do have another backup copy up to the same date on a desktop drive....so can still largely recover from any feckup. In addition to this I have all my ripped vinyl on the lappy with my recorded files in their original recorded state & also as they are currently with any edits/manual cleanup/corrections + I also have a full backup of all my VinylStudio recordings too.........soooo fairly belt & braces.......but I have thousands of hours of my time invested in these & it represents a lot of painstaking work.

I might just get one of these beauties to do the SP/diff thang at least as a temporary cheap as chips solution to try.>>
41TWzsARCrL._SX385_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-USB-Sound-SPDIF-Adapter/dp/B0084CGO88/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371120037&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=USB+to+spdiff

When I opened Bubble UPnP to cue up some toooonz on the SM6 this morning it had hooked up to the Synology, showing it as being available for serving mooozic.....soooo all looking pretty good....just need to get my moooozic on the noooo Nas. I should be up & running by early tomorrow I reckon. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online