carruthersesq

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2007
Dunblane, Scotland
AKA
Steve
Guys

would you say in your experience that using something like an M2Tech Hiface + cable is better or worse than something like a Chord USB cable from my windows XP netbook or Macbook into my Rega Dac?

I'm not sure which way to go and don't really want to buy several configurations to eventually decide on one.

cheers steve

G

If the DAC has a USB input then I'd use that and, as said, the cable won't make any difference.

Going via SPDIF means the DAC has to recover the clock from the SPDIF data stream and there are those who argue that this might make an audible difference (I'm not one of them). Depends how the DAC is implemented, but it will probably use a free-running clock via USB. It's also less kit to buy.

The only caveat would be that, if using SPDIF, you can use a longer cable or an optical fibre and, in both instances, there is (or should be) electrical isolation between the computer and the hi-fi system. This may not be the case with USB. Again, it depends how the DAC is implemented.

Try it via USB and see how it sounds, but, bear in mind that, if you get any noise or hum loops from the PC, SPDIF might help.

Thetiminator

Painfully Virile
Wammer
Nov 12, 2012
In the doghouse :(
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems to be very dependent on the quality of the USB stage on the Dac. I had a Chord Qute which was a fabulous sounding thing but running through a V-Link totally blew away the direct USB connection. The difference wasn't small.

Then I moved to a Primare Dac and it sounded much better direct USB than through the V-Link.

I had a custom server built for me recently by Mark at Item Audio.....he has suggested trying a high end SPDIF converter...as on many sytems he has found it superior. He has suggested this:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiophilleo/1.html

They look like cheapo pieces of tat but he says they're the dogs.....anyone had any experience with them?

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fine IMO advice above - try/succeed with what works for you-your bits in your context, preferably economically.

Lee Henley

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 10, 2010
Dudley, UK
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
In my Dac the USB sounds best with my mac and audirvana software. I swapped back and forth between the USB and hiface but in the end the USB won

Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thetiminator

Painfully Virile
Wammer
Nov 12, 2012
In the doghouse :(
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMHO the type or manufacturer of the USB cable will not make the slightest difference.Keith.
Hi Keith

USB cables are interesting in that like you say there is no or little difference between them. I have 3:

1. Standard freebie job.

2. Furutech thing around £90 I think - definitely an improvement although very slight. Sound a touch more resolution, finesse and detail.....but just a touch.

3. A chord Sarum which new was c.£700 but I nabbed it cheap. Again there was a slight improvement over the furutech in that it had more air and a touch more detail.

In all cases casual listening wouldn't have shown the differences, you really had to listen for them. It's weird to find such an intrinsic link in the chain to have such little effect.....far less that a set of cheapo cones for example. From my experience spending serious dish on a high end USB cable isn't worth the outlay.......the differences maybe warranted a couple of hundred in a high end system but no more.

Someone who manufactures hifi told me that USB cables are inherently flawed due to the power section running through them. He was working on a USB cable that isolated the power feed from the signal for the length of the cable. Have you seen/heard one if these yet?

carruthersesq

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2007
Dunblane, Scotland
AKA
Steve
Well, I bought the M2tech Evo interface and M2tech Evo Dac, powered by the M2tech Evo Supply, feed by usb from notebook, sounds very nice, rich, detailed and open. Very please with these liitle boxes.

Thanks to Paul at Purite North for great service and advice.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I bought the M2tech Evo interface and M2tech Evo Dac, powered by the M2tech Evo Supply, feed by usb from notebook, sounds very nice, rich, detailed and open. Very please with these liitle boxes.Thanks to Paul at Purite North for great service and advice.
The most important thing is that you are happy with your system - the only thing that counts is what it sounds like to your ears. On the other hand the southern purite is saying that USB cables don't make a difference, while the northern purite is recommending a complicated way to not connect a USB cable to your DAC at all. Do the Purites ever confer?

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I use a USB -> S/PDIF convertyer, because my DAC doesn't have a USB input. That may change in the not too far distant future.

My DAC was a prototype and got lots of things production models didn't, but came to me when I was using a CD transport. I started my PC-source adventure with a cheap ex-eBay converter used inline between PC or laptop and the DAC... This required two cables - A USB Type A to Type B to the converter and an S/PDIF cable to the DAC.

I've used several differnt types, from the cheapie, through M2Tech, Audiophileo, SotM, KingRex, and others, some more expensive, some cheaper. To my ears there are differences in the sound I hear as a result of using a different converter, but I can't say the same for the cables. Use good ones that are well made, and leave it at that.

Many of the Chinese ones you get for free with PC kit are rubbish, and very poorly constructed. As far as that goes, it's worth spending money on good cables, but the $000s ones worshipped in the esoteric press are possibly not the best value. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles