Linn Owners

Utopik and Dynamik in the garbage.

HBerg

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And again Linn's retailers should dispose the old PSU-card, Dynamik or older, so the owner could not sell it or use it in another item.
Same as when upgrading to Radikal 2, motor control card and motor in the garbage.
Reprehensible.

"To celebrate the launch of Utopik, Linn will provide one, free of charge, with a qualifying purchase for a limited period – 31st January 2024. Alternatively you can buy a Utopik for £1,350 (including fitting and proper disposal of the incumbent Dynamik)."

Last edited:

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
And again Linn's retailers should dispose the old PSU-card, Dynamik or older, so the owner could not sell it or use it in another item.
Same as when upgrading to Radikal 2, motor control card and motor in the garbage.
Reprehensible.

"To celebrate the launch of Utopik, Linn will provide one, free of charge, with a qualifying purchase for a limited period – 31st January 2024. Alternatively you can buy a Utopik for £1,350 (including fitting and proper disposal of the incumbent Dynamik)."
I see it just as critically as you do; after all, I bought and paid for the part. It's tantamount to expropriation, as I have to pay for the new power supply unit in full. Well, nobody is forcing you to do this upgrade, and the existing device doesn't sound any worse just because there is now an improved alternative.
Previously very loyal Linn customers could be tempted to look for alternatives in general and will probably find them.

Reactions: Jail4CEOs2

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is always the opportunity to remove the dynamik yourself prior to the upgrade. There are video(s) that show how easy it is and what dealer will refuse to do the install is this situatuon ?🤫

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There is always the opportunity to remove the dynamik yourself prior to the upgrade. There are video(s) that show how easy it is and what dealer will refuse to do the install is this situatuon ?🤫
It has been said in other threads Linn is first requesting the serial of the unit it will go into. Who knows what they are requiring from dealers as proof of disposal.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Dynamik was boxed up into the Utopik box, including the machined top, and I was told it was going back to Linn. That is UK though. YMMV.

’troll

Reactions: maddog_007

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Dynamik was boxed up into the Utopik box, including the machined top, and I was told it was going back to Linn. That is UK though. YMMV.

’troll
Yes, same with my pre-Katalyst DSM board.

In the UK we have electrical item disposal rules, WEEE, that retailers may be obliged to follow. (I know you know, ‘troll, but for the benefit of others)
https://www.hse.gov.uk/waste/waste-electrical.htm

However, my reading of the quoted text about proper disposal comes across to me as more about acting responsibly, rather than denying the customer the opportunity to keep their old power supply if they wish.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I see it just as critically as you do; after all, I bought and paid for the part. It's tantamount to expropriation, as I have to pay for the new power supply unit in full. Well, nobody is forcing you to do this upgrade, and the existing device doesn't sound any worse just because there is now an improved alternative.
Previously very loyal Linn customers could be tempted to look for alternatives in general and will probably find them.
The fact that you bought and paid for the original part really has nothing to do with it. Linn is selling you an upgrade to your original unit and if that includes the removal and return (or recycling) of the original part it is perfectly legal. The price charged includes the removal of the original part - it is an upgrade or trade-in. If you want to keep the original part you should communicate that to Linn and see how much they will charge you. They would have every right to charge you more in that case.

Many countries, and most if not all of Europe, have rules about the proper disposal of electronic components so they are responsibly recycled and don't just end up in landfills. (Note that the US does not.) So Linn is likely to have a legal responsibility to assure that the replaced components are being handled responsibly. While there will be a few who might have an actual use for the removed part in another product, considering the fact that they are specific to certain types of products this won't happen all that often. Most units would just end up in someone's basement or garage to eventually be thrown out. Linn sends the dealer a confirmation letter with every Radikal 2 upgrade order informing them that the old parts must be recycled or destroyed depending on the rules of the country involved-with every single one. I am now retired from the store I worked at but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Linn isn't doing the same thing with Utopik. They are requiring an upgrade form with customer info and serial number, which they didn't do back with the Dynamik.

I'd be hugely surprised if any other company would go to the trouble and expense to try and make a better switch mode power supply specifically for Linn components to compete with Utopik. I'd be even more surprised if it actually performed near as well. But, hey, spend your time however you like.

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

’troll
I doubt we are shipping back dynamiks from Canada.

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You’re retired now Thomas??
Semi-retired is probably the better way to put it. I am retired from my position in sales and technical work at Overture Audio where I worked for 22 years, though I still do occasional contract work there. However, I have a very complete set of tools for LP12 setup. I actually used mostly my own tools at the store and before I left there I purchased the one thing I didn't have: a Wild Heerbrugg lighted stereo microscope outfitted specifically for stylus examination (mine was made in a batch by them for Audio Technica back in the day). I have a room in my house with a convenient space for setup and service so I am still offering LP12 setup and service here. I have a fairly large bunch of the various small Linn parts (nuts, bolts, screws, springs, grommets, washers, hinges, belts, oil, etc.) and access to parts and upgrades as needed.

I am also still the owner of Nokturne Audio, importer of Lejonklou HiFi electronics and manufacturer of the NOKTable turntable stand. I have no intention of retiring from that and we have already surpassed last year's sales and have hit a new record. In that capacity I am also the only one besides Fredrik Lejonklou authorized to do all upgrades and service on Lejonklou components, another place where my service room is put to good use. (I spent a good portion of the last couple of months upgrading 12 Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2.2 power ams to the new TM3 model, a task which takes 3-4 hours each and has the main board, output devices and TIMs replaced with improved versions and the power supplies and grounding setup updated as well. The parts that remain the same between the TM2.2 and the TM3 are the two blue indicator lights on the front and the IEC inlet!)

So it's not like I'm just sitting here eating popcorn and watching movies! As time allows I have a couple of ideas for Nokturne Audio built products that I will try to realize and Fredrik always has something new he is working on with a couple products planned for 2024. Plus Lejonklou just released the Superkikkin compact line stage preamp. A very simple device with remote control of volume and muting and just 2 inputs in a phono stage size case. It shouldn't be judged by size, however, as musically I believe it outperforms a KK and sells for a paltry $2695!

But I do no longer have to work to any schedule other than what I set for myself and I certainly have more free hours in the day than I used to.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I purchased the one thing I didn't have: a Wild Heerbrugg lighted stereo microscope outfitted specifically for stylus examination
Ouch! I wish I had a dealer within a couple hours drive with one of these!

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thomas, how about a classic Airstream trailer with workshop area to tour the country fixing LP12s and imbibing with customers?
It is interesting you mention that. The imbibing part would have to b modified as I don't partake in alcoholic beverages (nor the legal in Michigan, and now Ohio, smokable materials). It is something I have thought about, although not necessarily with an Airstream. I am kind of fond of the old GMC Motorhome from the 70s. A very interesting and forward thinking design that still has a good sized following. One of my LP12 customers owns a refitted one that would be about perfect, it even has a good work area already in place.

However I am big on electric vehicles and would like to see an electric RV that is practical for what I would want to do. I expect that an electric RV will be coming soon as it could be based on the EV version of the Mercedes Sprinter or the Rivian parcel van they sell to Amazon but can now sell to others or a Tesla Cybertruck (deliveries starting the end of the month but a 2 million waiting list!). Then there is one of the biggest GMC Motorhome rebuilders who mentioned in a video a couple of years ago that he really wanted to refit one as an electric vehicle. He is just waiting for the right customer and available parts. With Tesla now opening their supercharger network to other brands, including Rivian and Mercedes, the idea is becoming more practical. Now all I need is a big pot of money! It is certainly interesting to speculate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles