Linn Owners

Utopik upgrade fitted today

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe you should have applied for the power supply designer position?
I do have some background in electronics as a matter of fact , not enough knowledge/experience/time to make a living out off also my main interest lays in slightly different field but I have used to make some bits and pieces out of interest for a private use , mainly tube amplifiers and preamplifiers but couple DACs and phonos too.
This one probably 20 years ago , non oversampling DAC with 5 regulated supply rails for digital side and couple linear supplies for tube output stage , big and expensive as required lots of iron as opposite to fairly cheap SMPS
SmYrENq - Imgur.jpg
this one was more recent , few years back and quite basic 4 rails linear supply for a phono stage , no sign of mains polluting DC output and we're talking about 65dB gain stage

IMG_0814.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 5

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
what ground breaking improvements has been made in the field of switch mode power supplies ?

Actually there seems to have been quite a bit of advancement in the recent years, at least when looking at chargers for portable devices: GaN technology made these thingies significantly smaller. They also became more efficient,in part due to improved ferrite materials. Linn have been pioneering the use of SMPS in audio equipment for decades and each incarnation has been an improvement over its predecessor. Don't forget that Dynamik has been around since 2009, that can be quite a while in the field of electronics!

As for the Utopik I have the impression that the secondary caps are a bit smaller than in the Dynamik units, so I guess they might have increased the switching frequency?

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
[...] the majority if the gain was in the Selekt. Not where the DACs are.

Well this is a tricky question, and please allow me to throw in a piece of guesswork: From all that I have learned over time from Linn's communication (some call it "marketing blurb") and from obervations shared in the forums, Exakt is actually a distributed DAC architecture with the master clock signal generated somewhere near the source or in the Hub (which is the source of Exakt signals except with the Urika2). I believe also the digital processing (filtering, SO, time-of-flight correction, all the doctoring) takes place in the Hub.

In simplified speak, I believe that all the time-domain processing happens in the Hub, whereas the voltage domain "analog" conversion processing happens in the DAC (with Linn explaining that their discrete-resistor-network sounds more Organik than their previous Kat chips from AKM).

It has been reported pretty consistently that new Exakt frontends like the KDSM/3 and Selekt sound better than the previous devices acting as Exakt Hubs

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
sorted this one for you but its a free country and everybody could have their own opinion:)
...belief.

Fixed it for you Mr. Smartypants.

Your car, your phone, your cat litter box, and maybe... possibly.... even you, have improved over the decade. Could you have improved on your designs, shown above, as the world of components has moved on?

I'm uncertain why the the jousting here. You came in here like some lagered up tween itching for a scrap. Congrats son, you got one. Forgive me, but I'm uncertain the value of it to you, or anyone?

This den of degenerates is more than critical of things Linn does, but we also acknowledge, as do most* reviewers, that any Linn upgrade is, in fact, an upgrade sonically. My Akurate argument: "It's still dang good." is nodded to here, with the cold hard realisation that Selekt, now, is better.

The 63 split window Corvette is a wonderful machine (it's popup headlights vaguely reminiscent of blue VU meters, /s), but we'd all agree that the model's latest generation, with a mid engine design, is superior in every way.

*is that enough of a caveat for ya?

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats son, you got one. Forgive me, but I'm uncertain the value of it to you, or anyone?
are you serious , I'm not your son first of all , second of all your reply is extremely rude and I won't even bother to reply ,
welcome on ignore

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually there seems to have been quite a bit of advancement in the recent years, at least when looking at chargers for portable devices: GaN technology made these thingies significantly smaller. They also became more efficient,in part due to improved ferrite materials. Linn have been pioneering the use of SMPS in audio equipment for decades and each incarnation has been an improvement over its predecessor. Don't forget that Dynamik has been around since 2009, that can be quite a while in the field of electronics!

As for the Utopik I have the impression that the secondary caps are a bit smaller than in the Dynamik units, so I guess they might have increased the switching frequency?
Yes , the main advancement is in miniaturization but we're not talking about portable devices, GaN transistors not sure if were used in the Utopik,
After xmas and holiday I'll check with my Linn dealer if there is a chance to compare my Akurate vs one fitted with Utopik , got duped once into Dynamik but the cost was more adequate so it didn't bother me much .

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After xmas and holiday I'll check with my Linn dealer if there is a chance to compare my Akurate vs one fitted with Utopik , got duped once into Dynamik but the cost was more adequate so it didn't bother me much .
Are you saying that you took a flyer on Dynamik without making sure it was right for you? That's not being duped.

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you saying that you took a flyer on Dynamik without making sure it was right for you? That's not being duped.
I just couldn't tell the difference , my then Unidisk 1.1 was done in-home and I listened to some familiar tracks beforehand and after swapping over but it was fairly cheap so didn't bother me that much , all DS players I owned afterwards have had Dynamik to start with .

Lorre

Wammer
Apr 7, 2019
most of us here are talking about klimax utopik ugrades, but what is the general consensus about this upgrade among akurate users ?

Reactions: Ray Vardy

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
First Paul, this is better.

SmartSelect_20231204_104241_Google.jpg

But then I am compelled to say that our interloper friend, with his attempt at petty defacement, again wins my argument. Thank you. My profile photo is of Edward Bernays, arguably as loathsome a chap, and much more destructive to the body politic, as the recently departed Mr Kissinger. I've always hoped more people could be made aware of the corrosive effects Sigmund's nephew has had on modern thought and discourse!

It's better than those garish blue meters though.

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just couldn't tell the difference , my then Unidisk 1.1 was done in-home and I listened to some familiar tracks beforehand and after swapping over but it was fairly cheap so didn't bother me that much , all DS players I owned afterwards have had Dynamik to start with .
I get that Dynamik wasn't an improvement for you, but you chose to buy it anyway. It's not fair to claim you were duped.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First Paul, this is better.

SmartSelect_20231204_104241_Google.jpg

But then I am compelled to say that our interloper friend, with his attempt at petty defacement, again wins my argument. Thank you. My profile photo is of Edward Bernays, arguably as loathsome a chap, and much more destructive to the body politic, as the recently departed Mr Kissinger. I've always hoped more people could be made aware of the corrosive effects Sigmund's nephew has had on modern thought and discourse!

It's better than those garish blue meters though.
Thanks for that

Now I'm munching on my second bucket of popcorn thanks to you. I did say cut back on the butter and the salt, but it tastes so good

I like the blue meters, but I also like my Linn with Utopik. McIntosh doesn't have Utopik, but if we could graft Utopik into the Mac boxes it could sound even more mighty fine. It would be gooder 🤪😘

More popcorn?

• Cat
Reactions: Wendy and mac72

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I’ve heard so far with the Utopik, I like.

Hence our decision to get the Linn Selekt Edition DSM Hub with Utopik and two Stereo Power Out Amp Cartridges with two Organik modules.

Compared to Linn Klimax DS/3 Organik, the difference was significant. Initially was going for the Organik upgrade with the free Utopik upgrade.

I know that we didn’t hear the Klimax DS/3 Organik with Utopik at the time, but from what others have reported on this and other forums has been very positive about the addition of the new power supply.

For us, after initially hearing the Selekt Edition DSM and another session demoing an active version of it, we decided to make a radical change and go for a one box system rather than a ten box system. Now it will be the DSM directly active into the kudos Titan 606 speakers.

However, I still think the Linn deal to get a free Utopik upgrade when you purchase certain products is a good offer. That is one of the things I like about Linn is their upgrade path. You can have an earlier version of a component and upgrade it to the latest version, if you so desire.

Before going purely digital last year, we did this previously with my LP12, originally from 1986 and upgraded over the years. Including some of the upgrade offers from Linn, for example, free Karousel bearing upgrade if you purchased a certain value.

DG…

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get that Dynamik wasn't an improvement for you, but you chose to buy it anyway. It's not fair to claim you were duped.
Similar hype on old Linn forum , dealer claiming to give it a time as it would improve over the time , ok not duped tricked sound more adequate?

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Similar hype on old Linn forum , dealer claiming to give it a time as it would improve over the time , ok not duped tricked sound more adequate?
We're all adults who have been subject to the ridiculous claims of advertisers since we left the cradle. I remember a world where "Omo washes whiter", "Hands that do dishes can be soft as your face" and "A Mars a day helps you work rest and play." Surely, we've learned to take all such things with pinch of salt.

A sizable chunk of the business letters that I recieved were headed "Without prejudice and subject to contract." Every set of Estate Agents particulars says that you mustn't rely on any information contained therein and should make your your own enquiries.

Even my youngest as an ten year old wrote on his mothers birthday card "I love you, Mum*" and added at the bottom in small lettering "*Terms and conditions apply."

If what you say is true you've gone from being niave to cyncism. There's a healthy scepticism somewhere in between these extremes that you've skipped over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles