Valve pre-amp for Pass Labs x150.5 dilemma

Goldie01

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 24, 2013
Malvern
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm currently using the in-built pre-amp from CD player (McIntosh MCD301) to feed my Pass labs x150.5 but have felt I'm not getting the most from this set up and have been thinking about dropping a valve pre-amp in.

The current shortlist is a Puresound L10 or Modwright SWL9 (secondhand). However I'm now also considering the Eastern Electric Avant which seems great value for a balanced pre-amp, whereas the L10 and SWL9 don't offer this. To top it off Jack from BD Audio is now threatening to let me audition the Modwright LS100.

Any thoughts?

def

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2008
Great Missenden
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My experience, along with a few others I know who've done the same would suggest it's definately worth experimenting with a Pre.

There's no getting past it though, really important you try a few. I had a bakeoff with several stellar pre's here a few months back and it was very informative. Ultimately there was much to like in all of the pre's however personal preference for a certain type of presentation was a significant factor and there was a surprisingly large difference between the pre's in this respect. Having heard and enjoyed a couple of those pre's in other systems it was surprising that they didn't work for my taste so well in my system and room.

All the pre's you mention are well regarded and would be worth an audition at the very least, best of luck

G

Dont know budget but there is Graaf 13.5 in the dealers section and if i didnt have my Modwright LS36.5 that would really tempt me

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
having said that the L10 is really very good and plenty of dealers

I had a good look at the graaf and if one takes note of the fact they no longer exist for spare parts perhaps then it would be tempting

G

having said that the L10 is really very good and plenty of dealers I had a good look at the graaf and if one takes note of the fact they no longer exist for spare parts perhaps then it would be tempting
Good point Phil its a bit like the Hovland pre 's knocking about

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes theres a hovland pre at Jordan acoustics and people seem to love them

not a valve pre but that vibe /pulse pre in the classified is also worth a listen , they are very organic and detailed

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Modwright SWL9.0 is rather nice as is the L10. (as are Graafs and Hovlands) I wouldn't get hung up on balanced outs, its far more important to get something that suits your ear. Have you considered the Pass labs X2.5 or 2.2 which come up around £1k used and might be considered an obvious choice?

If you take Jack up on his offer you will probably end up a poorer but very happy man. The LS100 is a cracker. I've just bought one :)

uncl_nigel

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2008
SE France
AKA
Nigel
[...]I am more than happy with using RCA even though my power amp has balanced
+1

When auditioning the Aesthetix Atlas I recently bought with my MFA Copper TVC and either my Kondo Vc and/or Vz2 or the dealer's Cardas Golden Presence, Golden Reference or Clear interconnects I found the manufacturer and type of cable made a bigger difference than balanced or single-ended within a same brand. (I have "normal" needs when it comes to cable lengths - 1m or 1m50) So for the moment the Kondo stays and if I change I will probably stick to single-ended for the mix-and-match simplicity (no having to bother about which pin is "hot" etc).

To get back to the point of the OP, having heard what an AudioNote m3 or a top EAR nine hndred and something can do to an Airtight power amp (ATM1S, I think) compared to DAC-direct, I can see the point of the operation; and given my experience comparing my MFA to an active valve-based pre (Aesthetix Calypso) coupled with my Aesthetix Atlas I would suggest that the MFA is not really a move in the right direction. The MFA isn't bad or even inferior to the Calypso but the differences in dynamics and note-decay come down in favour of the Calypso even if the MFA is more detailed and neutral.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know the Pre that hifinutt refers to. Its everything Steve says it is cos thats the kind of guy Steve is. Gentleman to deal with (and I have).

Jack

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
just a thought but I know a man who went through an AVI, then an audio note, then a Tag McLaren, then an ATC, then a Meridian and he tried an Aire. What finally did it was a pre amp by EAR. The search is over for him. I've heard it (driving ATC active 100's). Man it sounds good.

uncl_nigel

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2008
SE France
AKA
Nigel
just a thought but I know a man who went through an AVI, then an audio note, then a Tag McLaren, then an ATC, then a Meridian and he tried an Aire. What finally did it was a pre amp by EAR. The search is over for him. I've heard it (driving ATC active 100's). Man it sounds good.
The EAR nine hndred and something I heard was definitely "magical".

Ganders

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2007
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd be looking to upgrade your speakers to something more in keeping with the lovely electronics.
Gotta agree,your amps and source deserve better and new speakers would make a bigger upgrade than a separate pre imho.

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On downsizeing, I once sold my Audio Research LS25 MkII to someone who put it in front of his Pass X150.5.

He quite liked the combination, so he bought it.

He was replacing his X2.5 he liked as well. His problem was that the Pass pre-power combination delivered too much gain in his set up.

Don't remember which speakers, iirc large Dali floorstanders.

I quite like the LS25 MkII, I think it deserves to be auditioned.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your search!

misterpete

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2007
N Yorks
AKA
Have a guess!
My son has Pass Labs XA 60.5s and has just got the Puresound L300, it sounds glorious, I am sure that the L10 would sound good with yours.

Goldie01

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 24, 2013
Malvern
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the comments. I'm not going to get hung up between balanced and unbalanced and yes the system is a 'little' more deserveing of upgraded speakers. I'll be looking to make some auditions and wiill let you know where they take me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles