Vauxhall Corsa 1.4-Not Much To Like Here

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
So, I've had two hire cars over the festive season: a Vauxhall Corsa and a Skoda Rapid which I'll report on elsewhere while focussing on the Vauxhall here.

The first thing that hits you with this car is noise: road noise to be specific. There is a roar ambling along at 30, that already makes hearing the appalling sound system a challenge. Increase your speed to motorway cruising level and that roar becomes deafening and the sound system largely irrelevant. I can't understand why an ordinary priced car can be bought by any buyer in 2014/15 with that level of road noise. 2001 Fiat Punto, 1985 VW Polo, Nissan Micra 2003 are all smooth and silent operators compared to this one.

The ride is pretty appalling too. Noisy over bumps, and choppy at motorway speed. OK the steering is light, the handling appears safe. The characteristics of the engine underline why they called this the 'Corsa'. The designers were not thinking of some exotic palm-fringed getaway: simply a good description of a joyless and somewhat noisy engine that neither provides torque nor revs willingly, and which adds its own unpleasant noise to the equation at higher revs.

The inside is full of ghastly plastic trim and the upholstery is so synthetic it charges you up with the efficiency of a Van Der Graaf generator. On recent clear frosty nights blue flashes could be seen when I touched ground having rubbed my wool /cotton mix across the seats on exiting.

If this car has saving grace it might be economy. The gauge doesn't appear to have moved much, but that's only because I'm just not tempted to drive it except when I have to. I measured the mpg and it came out at 30mpg!!! An extraordinary result for a 1.4 l car in 2014! Do people get paid real money to design a car this bad?? And this with the same style of driving that gives me 55mpg in a 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI and 48 mpg in a 1.5l Qashquai diesel......

I recently drove a Dacia Sendero Stepway, and whilst it had its faults, seemed infinitely preferable to this one. And for much less money you could include a decent trim level, sat nav and entertainment system.

In conclusion, I'm still wondering how a major manufacture can remain in business in 2014 producing cars that are this bad. My strong recommendation would be to spend your money on any secondhand VW, or have a look at some of the newer Kias or Hyundais.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
No, it wasn't on the continent. The Skoda Rapid was tho, and it had just had its winter tyres fitted when I picked it up. And it was super-silent, even at the Italian higher motorway speeds

peterh

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 20, 2005
Manchester, , United
AKA
Peter
I am in the market to replace a 2003 Fabia and today was looking at What Car. According to WC they regard the Corsa as the best supermini ahead of the Fiesta or Polo et al. I am trying to keep an open mind but your review is probably closed one line of enquiry.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
Maybe they are related to What Hi Fi :) see my review of the Skoda a Rapid by comparison .....

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
My Mrs has had Corsa's for maybe 10 years or so,changed every 3-6 months as she works for a Vauxhall dealership,I drove her 2 week old current model 1.4 160 miles over the break and apart from the lack of power had no real issues with the car,it wasn't noisy even at 75 MPH apart from wind,and returned 45 MPG over the trip,my only real gripe was the seats were uncumfortable,but have found that with most Vauxhall's I have driven.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
I can only report on the car as presented which was a hire car, with 10,000 miles on the clock. I can't believe that road noise would vary much between samples, but my 'road roar' may be quiet for you. I have noted in my review all the cars that are much quieter by comparison. Hopefully I don't have the misfortune to ever have to experience that car ever again:p

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
I can only report on the car as presented which was a hire car, with 10,000 miles on the clock. I can't believe that road noise would vary much between samples, but my 'road roar' may be quiet for you. I have noted in my review all the cars that are much quieter by comparison. Hopefully I don't have the misfortune to ever have to experience that car ever again:p
Hire car,10K on the clock,probably only fit for the scap heap.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
I see you also note lots of road noise. Given that both my recent hire cars-Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Corsa-both exhibited high road noise I wonder if hire compoanies use different spec tyres that create more road noise than the tyres fitted to 'normal' cars? I'm not curious enought to check but that might explain things.

But in reality, where's the progress in car design? I ended up owning a 1990 Astra and it did everything better than this Corsa. Better economy, more nippy, plenty of gutsy mid range pull and decent handling/road holding. There's one area that it probably was much worse in, which should be crash protection. Otherwise, you are left with a thirsty car that's no fun to drive which consumes a lot of gas with a hideous interior

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
we have had Vauxhalls for years , my wife has an ecoflex 1 litre . its beautifully built with quality plastics , musch better than some cars I have been in . its a bit noisy but then its only 1 litre but it was amazing value for money and highly recommended . we paid 6999 for a metallic paint pre reg with 10 miles on the clock which I think is sterling

add that to the absolutely superb service that lookers have given me over many years and whats there not to like

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles