vdH First Ultimate i/c

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Marco wrote:

I swapped my VDH First Ultimates (used from my MC step-up transformer to preamp)for these chaps and got, quite frankly, amazing results:Atlas Titanall Cu PTFE

Features:
If you like copper, you could try the Cardas range...

JJ

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
Hi Jonjin,

Yeah thanks, I've tried Cardas cables - at on point I used a 1m length ofGolden Reference interconnect from my CDP to preamp, which at £1000was the most expensive interconnect I've ever used! It was excellent in areas such as fine detail retrieval, and it had a very relaxed sound, but overall I found it a bitwarm, sonically,andsomewhat bass heavy in terms of tonality, so I changed to Transparent Music Link+, which I preferred, andthis iswhat I'm using at the moment.

Yes I like copper cables, as I feel that in general they offer the bestcombination of accurate tonality anddetail retrieval. I dislike silver plated (over copper)cables, as to my ears they introduce a brightness and 'thinness'in the sound that makes for an aggressive sonic presentation, which I very much dislike. Interestingly, solid silver cables don't do this, and in fact have the opposite effect, giving a very natural sounding and tonally accurate balance that I like very much. Unfortunately, though, the best solid silver cables cost a fortune. In any case, I've now 'been there and done that' with cables, and have arrived at a state of satisfaction, so I have no need for any further experimentation in this area
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Hi...

Hmmm... you've made me think again Marco as I totally agree with all your comments. Copper gives me a tonally warmer/organic sound as well. Silver was too harsh and bright... but your comments made me think if it's worth trying some cheap all solid silver cables... temptation temptation...

JJ

E

Effem

jonjin wrote:

Silver was too harsh and bright... but your comments made me think if it's worth trying some cheap all solid silver cables... temptation temptation...JJ
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
Don't do it JJ. Not all silver is created equal :shock:It is the cheap silver wirethat gives a shrill brightness and woolly indistinctbass because it's either recycled silver, cheapo jewellery silver, or at best Sterling silver which is only 92.5% pure. It has to be the full monty 4x9's quality to get the best sound which doesn't sound bright at all and has a full rich bass.

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
That's useful information, Frank, and interesting to know
smile.png

Your solid silver cables are top quality and alsoreasonably priced, too,are they not?

So you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune.

I think one of the best examples of solid silver at work, and it's huge advantages demonstrated, arewith the Art Emotion speakers. Listen to a standard pair, and then listen to the silver-wired ones, and the difference is incredible - we're not talking about insignificant or minor differences here!

Doubtless, though, you've had similar experiences when testing your own cables. JJ has some fun ahead if he decides to dip his toe in the water
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

E

Effem

I have been playing with all sorts of wire cocktails Marcoto get my Trivista amp to sound spot on because it is a very revealing amp - hence it's relevance to this thread.Didn't realise before now that even with "silver" cables there are big differences and now I know how the metallurgy of the silver content affects sound quality I shall be very cautious about what materials I use inmy cables.

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
Effem wrote:

Didn't realise before now that even with "silver" cables there are big differences and now I know how the metallurgy of the silver content affects sound quality I shall be very cautious about what materials I use inmy cables.
It's useful to discover these things, especially when you're in the business
smile.png

I've also experimented greatly with cables, both mains and signal types,although perhaps not to the same degree as you, although I've been aware for some time that thevarying purity of silver impacts on sound quality when used inthecontext you mention. And to think there are some people who can't hear the difference between a kettle lead and a bog standard 'hi-fi quality' mains lead, and yet here we are expressing the differences we've heard from one silver cable to another!Perhaps apathy creates voluntary deafness?
wink.png

So, anyway,what'sthe starter price of yourall-silver cables, particularly mains leads?

E

Effem

Marco wrote:

Effem wrote:
Didn't realise before now that even with "silver" cables there are big differences and now I know how the metallurgy of the silver content affects sound quality I shall be very cautious about what materials I use inmy cables.
It's useful to discover these things, especially when you're in the business
smile.png

I've also experimented greatly with cables, both mains and signal types,although perhaps not to the same degree as you, although I've been aware for some time that thevarying purity of silver impacts on sound quality when used inthecontext you mention. And to think there are some people who can't hear the difference between a kettle lead and a bog standard 'hi-fi quality' mains lead, and yet here we are expressing the differences we've heard from one silver cable to another!Perhaps apathy creates voluntary deafness?
wink.png

So, anyway,what'sthe starter price of yourall-silver cables, particularly mains leads?
They start at a very humble £90 and even THE top of the range Jupiter comes out at just under £350 which is a belter of a mains cord. Awesome, with not much around that comes near it IMVHO.

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
Cheers, Frank. That's interesting.

I paid £300 for my Tranparent Powerlink+ mains leads, and they aren't silver. When (or if) I feel like experimenting again, I'll give you a shout and perhaps you would lend me a Jupiter mains lead to audition
smile.png

E

Effem

I got £20 here that says it don't come back - that's why I have no loan or demo stock at all
biggrin.png

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Marco wrote:

LOL
smile.png
So what's the procedure if I want to try a Jupiter, buy it upfront and if I don't want it, you do a refund?
Look at who's the one who's upgrading now! :raoflmfao:

Don't forget the Wigwam discount! Ahem
wink.png
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif

M-U-S-T R-E-S-I-S-T...

JJ

klunk

Wammer
Wammer
May 4, 2006
North Wales
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
does anyone have an opinion on how the VDH FU's would sound between an arcam alpha 8 trichord modded cd and a unison research s6??

p.s. speakers are art stilettos via chord company rumour cable.

klunk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles