Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The current Revel tripod stands are a little bit too precarious for my liking with little one about. Unfortunately they are not designed to be filled and with weight distribution mostly in the speaker (20kg each) and the thin legs, I'm worried she could accidentally or intentionally topple them and really hurt herself.

So looking for some really hefty stands with preferably that can be filled with lead/sand and can be drilled on the top plate to allow my revels to be screwed to the stands as currently is the case with the Revels.

Hopefully can have similar heightas the Revel stands

m20_dimen.gif

Thanks in advance

Testy

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Chain them to the wall. Well ok not chain them, use something strong though. If the Speeks are bolted to the stands then the only danger is them falling forward yes? If you put a safety cord looped round the stand and bolted into the wall would that be enough to stop the worry? Not a pretty solution, but nor are the Revels
tongue.png
:D;) (joke)

G

Hawk wrote:

Chain them to the wall. Well ok not chain them, use something strong though. If the Speeks are bolted to the stands then the only danger is them falling forward yes? If you put a safety cord looped round the stand and bolted into the wall would that be enough to stop the worry? Not a pretty solution, but nor are the Revels
tongue.png
Still see two above:D

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Testure wrote:

The current Revel tripod stands are a little bit too precarious for my liking with little one about. Unfortunately they are not designed to be filled and with weight distribution mostly in the speaker (20kg each) and the thin legs, I'm worried she could accidentally or intentionally topple them and really hurt herself. So looking for some really hefty stands with preferably that can be filled with lead/sand and can be drilled on the top plate to allow my revels to be screwed to the stands as currently is the case with the Revels.

m20_dimen.gif

Thanks in advance

Testy
Get a builder in to do a column of bricks off a york stone base then cement a york stone slab on the top.

Not sure if engineering bricks would be sonically better than housebricks and if you do not like red they do stone coloured bricks in Wicks to make garden walls they would give a nice neutral colour and would look good coming off buff yorkstone paving slabs
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif
- seriously I saw this done by someone in a house with them coming up through the floor boards off the solid ground below and he did the same to house his turntable.

Will be sold inert and safe unless they fall over onto them and crach heads (but my daughter managed that on the tv stand and needed three stitches in her forehead.

Accoustically should be as good if not better than anything you can buy.

Uzzy:nerd:

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hawk wrote:

tongue.png
Well with the current Beautiful Stands (like the speakers you cheeky bugger
kaos-whiteusagi01.gif
) they can also fall 45degrees and 43.25 degrees respectfully:p).

Seriously would probably have to have a 3/4 point harness system, and it's already cost me £850 for the custom leather one last year... opps too much info
kaos-pinkusagi44.gif

A

Alex A

I'd recommend mine (as those at BBs last Bake Off will testify) but I haven't got a clue what they are. Solid cast Iron 24kg each unfilled.

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
uzzy wrote:

Testure wrote:
The current Revel tripod stands are a little bit too precarious for my liking with little one about. Unfortunately they are not designed to be filled and with weight distribution mostly in the speaker (20kg each) and the thin legs, I'm worried she could accidentally or intentionally topple them and really hurt herself. So looking for some really hefty stands with preferably that can be filled with lead/sand and can be drilled on the top plate to allow my revels to be screwed to the stands as currently is the case with the Revels.

m20_dimen.gif

Thanks in advance

Testy
Get a builder in to do a column of bricks off a york stone base then cement a york stone slab on the top.

Not sure if engineering bricks would be sonically better than housebricks and if you do not like red they do stone coloured bricks in Wicks to make garden walls they would give a nice neutral colour and would look good coming off buff yorkstone paving slabs
- seriously I saw this done by someone in a house with them coming up through the floor boards off the solid ground below and he did the same to house his turntable.

Will be sold inert and safe unless they fall over onto them and crach heads (but my daughter managed that on the tv stand and needed three stitches in her forehead.

Unfortunately a bit too permanent for our small terrace, and can't see the Misses approving that one

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Alex_A wrote:

I'd recommend mine (as those at BBs last Bake Off will testify) but I haven't got a clue what they are. Solid cast Iron 24kg each unfilled.
Any pics Alex?

Cheers

Testy

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Testure wrote:

uzzy wrote:
Testure wrote:

m20_dimen.gif

Thanks in advance

Testy

Unfortunately a bit too permanent for our small terrace, and can't see the Misses approving that one
Yes I see your point we all understand the 'er indoors element.

Thinking about the physics of this problem the topple factor has little to do with weight (although solid stands may lower the centre of gravity but would still topple if knocked) but on the size of the base it stands on.

Your stands have a small footprint and it is that, coupled with a high centre of gravity that makes it unstable.

I think the solution is to bolt your current stands to a slab of granite, cast iron, or a paving slab that would then make it very difficultto be toppled. The same may even be true of a thick slab of MDF niceley sprayed black to match the stands.

Methinks the answer lies here - to increase the base size

Uzzy

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
uzzy wrote:

Testure wrote:
uzzy wrote:
Testure wrote:

m20_dimen.gif

Thanks in advance

Testy

Yes I see your point we all understand the 'er indoors element.

Thinking about the physics of this problem the topple factor has little to do with weight (although solid stands may lower the centre of gravity but would still topple if knocked) but on the size of the base it stands on.

Your stands have a small footprint and it is that, coupled with a high centre of gravity that makes it unstable.

I think the solution is to bolt your current stands to a slab of granite, cast iron, or a paving slab that would then make it very difficultto be toppled. The same may even be true of a thick slab of MDF niceley sprayed black to match the stands.

Methinks the answer lies here - to increase the base size

Uzzy
Great Idea :dude:
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
, simple but sounds very effective and cheap!

A

Alex A

See my signature and attached file. Yes PAG I still haven't dusted/cleaned them
tongue.png

21" Tall

10.5" x 7.5" (DxW) top plate.

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Alex_A wrote:

See my signature and attached file. Yes PAG I still haven't dusted/cleaned them
tongue.png
21" Tall

10.5" x 7.5" (DxW) top plate.
Cheers Alex:^though probably a bit too small for the M20s.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Testy, I suspect Uzzy's suggestion granite or similar slabs bolted to the base of your existing stands is the way to go: puts weight & stability where you need it & doesn't interfere with the aesthetics of the Revels.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you may have to admit defeat and go for some w*ll br*ck*ts
sad.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member