Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A silly sort of question,

I currently have a Rega P25/Dennon DL110 vinyl front end, and am toying with the following possibilities.

1. treat myself to a Heed audio power supply and Dynavector DV 10 x 5

2. Flog the P25 and buy a NA Interspace and Rega RB250, have the RB 250 rewired (audio Origami) and fit a techno weight, and short term keep the Dennon Cart.

As trying to audition this stuff is hard work round me does any one have any experience of the above options.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do any dealers actually demo carts, especially at the £500 to 1k plus level? Or are they bought on reputation/reviews alone?

kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dem of carts is restricted, I have 2 round here, one that has a rega P5 with a dyna 10 x 5 , and a P7 with a Lyra Dorian in place, but you have to try and work out what is causing what, is it the deck, is it he arm, is it the cart etc. The other has a couple of Projects with various Ortofons stuck on them, but thats your lot.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not ideal, but with the variables such as different arms and other components such as amps, phono stages which differ from the customers setup, plus the dealers time in setting up a cart, alignment, tracking etc. they don't bother and who can blame them?

One TT expert locally told me that although he's been fitting carts for 40 plus years, his hands start shaking when fitting a 2 grand naked design cart!

You wouldn't expect to buy a new 1k cdp though without hearing it, unless second hand obviously.

audioorigami

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Glasgow
AKA
j7
if the rega p25 is on a wall mount ...then a heavey turntable like the NA will not have that much improvement bang for buck...just about every turntable has some couloration...and the rega is a great deck to begin with...with no mods(make sure u have added to 2 drops of oil in the rega main bearing)

the cartridge is 1 of the best places to spend money...but only if the deck is on a wall shelf... the smaller stylis will make any LP sound much better...and clicks and pops are a thing of the past ...and u may notice instraments that u never heard before---with the new tiny needle reaching right down to the botom of the grove

i have the dl110 and its very nice...the 103 denon is every1s fav and only about 100squids...to spend more than that is money well spent--- and tony from needles and spins sells many good quaility carts...it would be worth talkin to him about what suits the rega arm best

i guess u already have the rega rb250 ...its able to take better carts ...although the arm hieght may have to be lifted or lowerd a mm or so for what ever cart u get...so no big deal there really

hope thats been of some help

j7

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I actually prefer the DL110/160 to the 103 to be honest, and if I stay with the P25 then I will at alternate cart's and I suppose a phone stage, as at the moment I am using the MM stage in my cursa pre amp. I'll give neesles and spins a ring thanks.

No I don't have a RB250, and I would have to lay hands on one.

A

adam

There is alot of potential in the Rega P25,to get it to really kick add the DV17D2 with a DV p-75 phono stage,and then the Heed,this sounds superb.it's the best I got my Rega to sound,it took a VPI to beat it.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
audioorigami wrote:

i have the dl110 and its very nice...the 103 denon is every1s fav and only about 100squids...to spend more than that is money well spent--- and tony from needles and spins sells many good quaility carts...it would be worth talkin to him about what suits the rega arm best
Nice of you to say so John, but actually I disagree with you
smile.png
Not about our selling fine carts of course ;)but if it were me and the choice were down to the P25 and the NAS I'd go for the Interspace option (no we don't sell them unfortunately).

I've never had a chance to A/B them, but have had a chance to have a good poke around at and listen to both the P25 and the Interspace and I reckon the NAS is way better. A lot more flexible for the future as well re arms. I had a DL160 running on a NAS Spacearm/Spacedeck for quite some time and you would have been hard pushed to believe it was a sub £100 cart the arm/deck combo was that good. The Interspace isn't a million miles off the Spacedeck.

I'd ask about the piano black or wood finish though, the standard faux blue marble is not to everyone's taste :?and if looking at second hand, find out exactly when/what you are getting. Tom Fletcher regularly upgrades the current model and not all NAS models with the same namewere born equal.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
dudywoxer wrote:

A silly sort of question,

I currently have a Rega P25/Dennon DL110 vinyl front end, and am toying with the following possibilities.

1. treat myself to a Heed audio power supply and Dynavector DV 10 x 5

2. Flog the P25 and buy a NA Interspace and Rega RB250, have the RB 250 rewired (audio Origami) and fit a techno weight, and short term keep the Dennon Cart.

As trying to audition this stuff is hard work round me does any one have any experience of the above options.
Cartridge buying is the area where a decent dealer with years of knowledge is most important.

You can not often get to do decent demos, so buying with the advice of a good dealer is often the order of the Day

Walrus is where I get advice and reading posts on forums over the years, have pointed out about another half a dozen dealers who year in year out have given good advice and looked after there customers

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be a new deck, (mainly because I am aware of some of the changes that have been made during the decks life), preferably in black. My intention would be to start with the RB250, but to hopefully move to a hadcock fairly soon after, as they seem to be well matched from what brief chance I have had to hear them. I would have to use a different dealer to my prefered one, as they only do rega decks. I have found one not too far away who can demo through the same amps/speakers as I currently use. Must admit his comments on the Denon cart's do not stand repeating. He must listen to them through profit margins, not his ears.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Having heard a music maker III on both the interspace and spacedeck I can honestly say the cheaper deck is smoking value for money. Try and listen to a Hadcock if you can before you buy.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
dudywoxer wrote:

It would be a new deck, (mainly because I am aware of some of the changes that have been made during the decks life), preferably in black. My intention would be to start with the RB250, but to hopefully move to a hadcock fairly soon after, as they seem to be well matched from what brief chance I have had to hear them.
Hadcock's a goody (if a pain in thebehind to setup)- get a listen to an InterSpace or Space arm as well.

dudywoxer wrote:

Must admit his comments on the Denon cart's do not stand repeating. He must listen to them through profit margins, not his ears.
They do seem to divide opinion
biggrin.png
. One for those who enjoy being controversial maybe.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
adam wrote:

There is alot of potential in the Rega P25,to get it to really kick add the DV17D2 with a DV p-75 phono stage,and then the Heed,this sounds superb.it's the best I got my Rega to sound,it took a VPI to beat it.
Adam,

How did you manage to get your hands on a P75 & at what cost? I have the same cartridge and feel it would probably help mine. What difference did you notice when you first started using it?

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well that's that idea shafted, had a decent listen to to NAS deck, both with a michell arm and the hadcock, and the bloody bass swamps everything out, both with my amps and 'supposedly better',

Swamps it out is a bit over the top, but it certainly gives more emphasis on bass than I want to live with, especially given the nature of my listening room.

Had a listen to the clearaudo level 1 or something, £1400 squids ish, not too bad a sound, but I have a slight problem with acrylic, as in I hate the look of the stuff.

What other non suspended decks are worth a listen, to about £1400.00 (including an arm of some description).

I am aware of and have heard the gyrodeck + techno arm, but I am not sure if I want to play with a suspended deck, and I would rathet stay with, what I suppose is a older type of Vinyl presentation, I have the feeling the michell is a deck for CD fans

A

adam

Sir_Franc wrote:

adam wrote:
Adam,

How did you manage to get your hands on a P75 & at what cost? I have the same cartridge and feel it would probably help mine. What difference did you notice when you first started using it?
Sorry sir franc, I missed your question,I have an account with Dynavector,they are about 450new,it's a very upfront sound,fast,highly detailed,matches superbly with the DV17D2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles